Folklore 9.0 on IGN

Wow I didn't expect it to be rated so high. I was planning on getting this game, but maybe I'll get it sooner rather then later now.

The down side, its one more game to buy this fall/winter. $$$

I downloaded the demo off of PSN for this and after five minutes of being bored out of my mind turned it off. The concept just seemed incredibly stupid to me, maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance...

I downloaded the demo off of PSN for this and after five minutes of being bored out of my mind turned it off. The concept just seemed incredibly stupid to me, maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance...

Yeah, I was kind of in the same boat. The demo didn't really do much for me - but then, I don't think I gave it much of a chance. From this IGN review, the storytelling in this game looks awesome.

I'm going to definitely rent it now and check it out.

I definitely did not expect this high of a review. I must have also been missing something in the demo. My coworker swears to me that its the next best thing though. Looks like i might give it a shot.

I enjoyed the demo fully, and I was planning on picking this up when it drops in price... now I'm thinking of buying it day one.

Urghhh...

Nice, this one definitely piqued my interest. Probably going to be one of the first PS3 games I'll buy when I take the plunge next year.

I actually enjoyed the demo.. I would probably pick this up, but there's just too many games coming out and I've already spent my gaming dollars this summer (this is on my gamefly sub) I still have to go back and beat bioshock on hard. The good thing is there will be a non stop supply of games that will last a long time now.

Will there be an option for japanese voice? Seeing as how Blu-ray's bigger they damn well better include it...

Played the demo and had mixed feelings now after the review I might get it day one instead of waiting.

Will there be an option for japanese voice? Seeing as how Blu-ray's bigger they damn well better include it...

Probably. The Heavenly Sword disc has six different audio tracks.

played the demo...

Felt like Heavenly sword with faeries for the portion I was in (female first section). You just run around killing things, with nothing else going on... back and forth over the same areas. Maybe I missed something :confused:, but I couldn't really get into it. Pretty though. I'll get it when it's $15 used, or wait for more reviews.

Eurogamer gave the JP import a 5/10, but I don't think they got the game.

How is this news?
Metacritic has this listed at 73 avg, with the lowest rating being 40.

So it got one good review? o.k...

Then buy the Japanese version? :confused:

I think the idea is Japanese voices with English subs/menus. Some people like myself, sometimes enjoy the Japanese voices better (for JRPGs) even though I don't fully understand the language. Sometimes the voices sound better or the voice acting is better. Folklore seems to have pretty good english voices though, but a lot of JRPG's have had bad English voice acting.

How is this news?
Metacritic has this listed at 73 avg, with the lowest rating being 40.

So it got one good review? o.k...

Because all the reviews were from the japanese version which apparently lost a lot in the lack of translation. The reviews basedo n the english version have been received much better. Troll much?

Because all the reviews were from the japanese version which apparently lost a lot in the lack of translation. The reviews basedo n the english version have been received much better. Troll much?

I've only seen one review on the english version.

I would never think that Eternal Sonata was good just by the demo but now I at least want to rent it for a week. I don't think demos for rpg's really sell the game well...demos are better for action/sports/racing games.

I just picked this up on my lunch break with one of my two free monthly blockbuster in-store rentals. This will finally give me a reason to open up that ps3 that's been sitting in my closet for 3 weeks. :D

This game hasn't been discussed recently. For those of you that have played through much of it, or even beat it, what are your thoughts? How many hours is a direct playthrough? I typically don't stop to do every single side mission in an rpg, but I do try some of them.

I'd love to hear a real world take on it, I found the whole speech bubble manner of dialog super annoying in the demo. The graphics were pretty, but that's the only thing nice i had to say about the demo

I just picked this up on my lunch break with one of my two free monthly blockbuster in-store rentals. This will finally give me a reason to open up that ps3 that's been sitting in my closet for 3 weeks. :D

This game hasn't been discussed recently. For those of you that have played through much of it, or even beat it, what are your thoughts? How many hours is a direct playthrough? I typically don't stop to do every single side mission in an rpg, but I do try some of them.

As hard as I tried, I just could not get into it. I don't know what it was. The battle system seemed too repetitive and the story wasn't that spectacular. I would have loved this game if there was more to it than what is on the screen, b/c the graphics are great. Of course that's imo.

As hard as I tried, I just could not get into it. I don't know what it was. The battle system seemed too repetitive and the story wasn't that spectacular. I would have loved this game if there was more to it than what is on the screen, b/c the graphics are great. Of course that's imo.

You and me both!

And the load times wow so bad for this type and it didn't make a diff on disc or hard drive.

I'd love to hear a real world take on it, I found the whole speech bubble manner of dialog super annoying in the demo. The graphics were pretty, but that's the only thing nice i had to say about the demo

Just spent 40 minutes on the first part of the game. I'll have to agree with what you guys are saying here about the speech bubbles being annoying. My first impression with the FMV was that the playstation has such superior graphics to the 360 (that i've had for a year). But then the actual gameplay isn relatively similar graphic-wise. For some reason, they did an awesome job on the pre-rendered video. Looks like something they would do in an animated movie.

The gameplay thus far has been using these folks (?) to combat for you. It feels very reptitive and I hope it will get better as I put more time into it this weekend. I'll return with updates.

Yep, you use the folk you collect to attack. The game clocked in at about 21 hours for me. Without the side quests and leveling folk it would come in at about 13 hours or so. They do have you sit through alot of that speach bubble dialog. The story is decent, but Ellen got on my nerves after a while.

Overall, I enjoyed the game. They mix up the fights alittle by having you use different folk to take down others. The side quests are ok. After you go through a realm about 4 times to do different things, you get tired of seeing that place.

My biggest beef with the game are the motion control minigames you have to play whenever you take down a big folk. I thought the boss battles were well done and I was so disappointed when after taking down a boss with a combination of folk, all that excitement would drain away from me as I had to be a good monkey and complete the stupid extra fluff that was seemingly just tacked onto the game to make use of the motion controls.

Some people complained about the load times, but after doing the install, the load times didn't seem that long to me.

After about 2 hours in and playing through both prologues and part way through each Chapter 1, I'm going to return the game. The game was just too slow for me. I usually take advantage of the grace period that blockbuster offers, and sometimes even the restock period ($1.25 fee) like with Orange Box, but I'm going to return this one on time. Hopefully they'll have some better ps3 titles there like Ninja Gaiden and Uncharted.

Back