Folding on Win7 w/ Guest Mode

drdeutsch

2[H]4U
Howdy all,

I'm getting ready to borg a few computers that I'm in charge of. These computers are setup with Windows 7 and the users will be logging in with a Guest Mode enabled account - it's like SteadyState for windows 7 - they aren't allowed to save documents, all changes are reverted when they logout, etc.

Is there a way to setup Folding@Home to run when this account is logged in, but keep the changes? I'm thinking not, but I'll ask here just in case someone knows a way.

There will be another Administrator account, of course. Is it possible that I could have Folding running under the Admin account whenever any account is logged in? I'd like to make this work, so please let me know if there's anything I can do.

Thanks.

if its setup as a service i think it should still start up even in the login menu. but i'm sure some one will correct me if i'm wrong.

I think Monkey is right as I have several machines with non-admin accounts and a guest account or two and no probs whatsoever with CPU folding. GPU folding has been a different animal however ...

I think Monkey is right as I have several machines with non-admin accounts and a guest account or two and no probs whatsoever with CPU folding. GPU folding has been a different animal however ...

I'll give it a try, but these aren't "guest accounts" but rather accounts with Guest Mode - sounds similar, but it's different. There are no changes kept (everything is reverted on logout, drives are locked to that user, etc) - it's like SteadyState for Windows 7.

Anyway, I'll give it a try running it as a service. Should I be using the older 6.23 console client or does the newest 7.XX support running as a service?

I'm using v6.34 as a service with -smp switch no problem on all boxen. Havent tried v7.xx yet as the download errored out when I tried but from what i've read on the FAH Forum 6.34 is all thats req'd to run the latest cores. Easy to setup too with the -configonly flag on a shortcut. Reboot and its running as a service on startup.

I'll give it a try, but these aren't "guest accounts" but rather accounts with Guest Mode - sounds similar, but it's different. There are no changes kept (everything is reverted on logout, drives are locked to that user, etc) - it's like SteadyState for Windows 7.

Anyway, I'll give it a try running it as a service. Should I be using the older 6.23 console client or does the newest 7.XX support running as a service?

still shouldn't be an issue as long as you have a master account that doesn't have the guest mode type features to setup F@H on and set as a service. if you don't then you are shit out of luck.

Back