Folding on a laptop?

Cypher-

[H]ard|Gawd
Just wondering if anyone here has tried it or does it?

I was thinking about how I could up my PPD and happened to glance over at my laptop. I bought it at the end of last year for school and its a pretty decent setup. Its a HP dv5t with a P8400/9600m GT/3gig of memory.

First I tried the 9600m GT to see what it would produce. It was only giving me around 800PPD but the temperature was 83 degrees. I didn't think it would be a good idea to have that going 24/7 so I loaded up notfred. According to fahspy I should be getting ~1800PPD which is a nice boost. CPU temps are still a problem though. 74 degrees is a bit higher then I would like.

I'm currently working on undervolting the CPU to get the temperatures a bit better. Stock was voltage 1.1375 and right now I'm down to 1.0750. I should have done a check to see what orthos would give me for a max temperature but right now its down to 68-70 degrees nearly 25 minutes in. I'm hoping I can get it down to at least 65 degrees and stable.

How bad is this for the laptop? I already took the battery out to avoid killing it from being plugged in 24/7. Do you think it will cause any serious damage having a laptop running with this much stress?

I F@H on three laptops 24/7 using the SMP client. I use a Notebook Cooler S on each to keep the temps in line.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I tried, but you need a pretty beast laptop to get any decent PPD out of it. Temps WILL be higher then normal, so that is unaviodable. I ran my laptop (Dell M1210) on an open rack with a 6" fan under it to cool it below 50C (t5600 C2D).

EDIT: this is/was a very high end 12'1" laptop, so it does get hot, at times.

Last edited:
I have 2 laptops folding 24/7.

Dell XPS C2D T7400 (2.3 GHz)/7950GTX (useless for F@H) that I run notfred on and for some reason only get like 375 PPD on. Not sure what's up with that, I thought it'd get better, but it's better than nothing.

Asus G2P C2D T7200 (2.0 GHz)/X1700 (again, useless) that I just run regular CPU client on because the wife uses this more than me and don't want to bog it down for her.

I don't see any problems in folding on a laptop as long as you keep it well ventilated (a problem my wife has keeping it on the couch). That's pretty impressive PPD from that P8400.

I fold on my laptop usually over the summer when I don't really need it for anything. It gets about 1000PPD with a notfred's bootable CD.

I fold on my Macbook Pro (2.53Ghz, 4GB), and could get roughly 1800PPD if I kept it on 24/7, but during school I can't run it.

I fold on my laptop usually over the summer when I don't really need it for anything. It gets about 1000PPD with a notfred's bootable CD.

I fold on my Macbook Pro (2.53Ghz, 4GB), and could get roughly 1800PPD if I kept it on 24/7, but during school I can't run it.

Hello,

What are your temps and how do you keep them cool?

Thanks!

I don't monitor my temps and I don't do anything special to keep it cool. I just pop in my notfred's bootable disk and let it go.

I don't monitor my temps and I don't do anything special to keep it cool. I just pop in my notfred's bootable disk and let it go.

Is it somewhere cold, though? My laptop starts making wierd fan noises past about 60C. (Realtemp, and it's HOT!) <--hand on bottom of device test.

Typical 'load' temps are about 45C, so this was a bit much for me. <--underclocked via disabling SpeedStep control to min settings of a t5600.

Is this normal? Thanks!

Last edited:
My laptop isn't in a cold area. Normal full load temperatures are around 80C according to Core Temp in Windows, but I don't know what the temps are while using notfred's.

I fold with my Vostro 1500. It has a 8600m and 2ghz C2D. I get about 1.9k to 2.1K ppd running notfreds smp and gpu2 client.

Good to see no one has had any issues with laptops. I thought about getting a notebook cooler just to be safe. Last night when I was about to go to bed I was testing 1.0375 and it was 30 minutes into orthos and stable so I said good enough. I launched notfred to see how it would do folding overnight and everything went well. Temps are down 65 degrees which is exactly what I was aiming for.

I'm now up to ~7000PPD total :D

Im late also

Folding on a Dell Latitude E5500 runing a T4720 Mobile Intel Core2Duo @ 2.4GHz, only do single cpu, but I can run VM if I want to.

folding on a Toshiba L455-s5976 2.2 celery 24/7 I have no idea whats the tems are. its a litte warm if its sitting on my lap

Hello,

What are your temps and how do you keep them cool?

Thanks!

I just looked at my CPU temps and just about jumped--they were at 89C! However, I looked at the wattage meter and realized that the CPU was pulling 18w instead of the 13w it usually does.

The key for me--undervolting. With Coolbook on my Macbook Pro ($10, but well worth it!), you can undervolt a considerable amount. (Coolbook had just updated, which is why it was running at 18w instead of 13).

Coolbook also gives be better battery life!

Thanks!

If I disable SpeedStep control in the BIOS, it does a similar thing:
Leaves the CPU on min power draw mode.

However, it doesn't seem to 'stick' in the disabled position. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Thank you!

Does anyone fold with any laptops that have a T-series Core2Duo in them? I'm folding with my Dell XPS laptop that has it's T7400 OC'd to 3 GHz and it's still only getting like 330 PPD with Notfred. I figured it'd get much more than that considering my old single core FX55 rig gets almost 400 PPD by itself. I made sure Virtualization was enabled in the BIOS. It's running 32-bit XP though and my FX55 is on Vista 64-bit. Does Notfred have a big advantage in 64-bit folding? It's the only difference I can think of.

Does anyone fold with any laptops that have a T-series Core2Duo in them? I'm folding with my Dell XPS laptop that has it's T7400 OC'd to 3 GHz and it's still only getting like 330 PPD with Notfred. I figured it'd get much more than that considering my old single core FX55 rig gets almost 400 PPD by itself. I made sure Virtualization was enabled in the BIOS. It's running 32-bit XP though and my FX55 is on Vista 64-bit. Does Notfred have a big advantage in 64-bit folding? It's the only difference I can think of.
With VMWare you should be able to run a 64-bit guest from within a 32-bit host OS if VT-x is enabled. And the Linux SMP client only works in 64-bit mode, so if you're running in 32-bit mode notfred's will just run the standard client (probably what's happening). Try manually launching notfred's by typing fold64 at the beginning instead of waiting for it to auto-detect.

I think mine has a T5550 CPU, but i don't fold on it. I just keep the 8800m GTS going. i tried to fold on both CPU and GPU but could never keep it stable due to heat. The GPU has been folding 24/7 for about 16 months now with a laptop cooler stand under it. if I remember correctly it averages about 2k-2.5k ppd.

With VMWare you should be able to run a 64-bit guest from within a 32-bit host OS if VT-x is enabled. And the Linux SMP client only works in 64-bit mode, so if you're running in 32-bit mode notfred's will just run the standard client (probably what's happening). Try manually launching notfred's by typing fold64 at the beginning instead of waiting for it to auto-detect.

Sweet, thanks Zero. I just resumed from a suspended state after I turned on virtulization in the BIOS. I restarted it and it ran in 64-bit mode :D. Now it's getting around 1.2k PPD which is a huge improvement.

Now I just gotta figure out how to keep the CPU @ 3 GHz. That stupid Speedstep tech keeps changing the clock rate of the CPU constantly and I just want it to stay at 3 GHz. If I disable Speedstep in the BIOS though, it locks the CPU at it's lowest speed it can go, which is 998 MHz, lol. Not good at all. I've tried OC software, but you need to know your PLL version on the mobo and I can't get to that. Anyone know any tips to get around Speedstep?

In your advanced power settings, (vista/7) set your laptop to minimum 100% CPU clock speed.

For XP, set your power profile to 'always on'
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

In your advanced power settings, (vista/7) set your laptop to minimum 100% CPU clock speed.

For XP, set your power profile to 'always on'
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Just tried that in XP and my CPU still stayed at 998 MHz :(.

Back