Folding@Home or Boinc? Should I choose one over the other?

harsaphes

Supreme [H]ardness
Just starting out here guys and trying to find my way. I noticed Boinc after installing F@H. Is one used more over the other?

BOINC is a collection of distributed computing projects with a common end user interface that allows for someone/group to allow for the easy setup and distribution of their computational work. Some projects have many individual applications within that crunch on different problems or types of work. Projects range from Medical, Number crunching (like primes) astronomy, nature and other science related fields. Some are similar to FAH.

FAH is CPU and GPU. Most BOINC projects are CPU only, several are both and very few GPU only.

Points per Watt. In FAH is all about GPUs. Its getting better with the a7 core that can use AVX and more threads. With the type of calculations involved and how points are calculated I don't think the CPU will ever be as efficient as the GPU. Especially with Pascal GPUs.

I personally run 1 GPU, a 980Ti, on FAH. And the rest of my hardware on BOINC. A 1070/970 w/3770k, 2p 2670 v1 w/280x, and 3570k. I only run the GPUs on FAH as the CPUs won't make a dent (besides the 2670s). BOINC has CPU only projects so thats what all the CPUs do.

I would check out some of the projects that [H] participates in. I think [H] tries to concentrate on certain ones like FAH and maybe WCG.

http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=teambycpid&team=[H]ard|OCP

Click on a project name and the project name again at the next page will take you to each project's website where they explain the project.

Here is a list of all the projects.
http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=index

I run both F@H and BOINC/WCG. Since F@H is more heavily geared towards GPUs I run all my GPUs on F@H. All the left over CPU/Cores on those rigs are focused on BOINC - World Community Grid. Then I have a few dedicated 4P boxes that crunch on WCG exclusively as well.

I think the primary question is to answer: what cause you want support. While on FAH it's clear and only folding proteins you have lots of choices on boinc. Your can search for aliens, look for prime numbers and also have protein folding.

Sometimes I did some alien stuff but main focus on FAH with three GPUs and few CPU cores.
I somehow struggle with the boinc concept of double crunching (someone else is confirming my result; at least in the past)

If I would look for alternatives to FAH I would end up in GPUgrid and WCG.

Double crunching?

Rosetta @ Home is pretty similar to FAH. It is CPU only.
https://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/

There are some BOINC projects that can crunch on Android and Pi devices.
mmonnin, ChristianVirtual is talking about the wing man needed at most projects. FAH does not require you to have a wingman to validate your results. So, those whose primary experience with DC has been FAH, the concept appears to be a waste of resources. However, one could argue the potential of corrupted data leading to corrupted scientific results to be an even greater waste. That comes down to the scientists and how well they can determine the results.

harsaphes, like the others have said. The best start is to decide on your own personal goal. There are some here that just want a single focus and to be told where to put that focus. Some want variety which keeps things somewhat new and fresh. Others care about the science and will only support causes near and dear to them. You will find that I have and still crunch most DC projects. I can tell you that the majority are subjects that I care very little about or not at all. However, it is hard to say which projects will ever amount to anything. Most (if you are lucky) only result in peer review papers that result in advancing their own careers or gaining more grant money to pay their salaries. The only project I've seen to have real world results is WCG. They have actually tied the research the end users have crunched directly to the end result. This is highly uncommon as most Distributed Computing work is the very beginning of a much larger process. Some may argue that PrimeGrid and a few math projects have done so with finding primes. But realistically the primes they are finding are much larger than anything really being implemented in society. I believe Einstein discovered a pulsar. But I have no idea if that has any real world application at this point.

If you decide to run WCG, be careful as our team had multiple teams created in the past. When you create your account, use this link http://join.worldcommunitygrid.org/?recruiterId=338542&teamId=BP5XNJBR9N1 and it will associate you to our team automatically.

I also have a list of projects here: https://hardforum.com/threads/all-inclusive-dc-project-list-v-2.1895029/

I do both. I have F@H running on 6 threads and to use GPU When system has been idle for +5 minutes.
Then i have Setiathome thorugh Boinc kick on in 4 threads when im usually not at my system.

Ah yeah, quorum >1. For projects building the next dataset off the current results I'd be setting up verification. The scientists at LIGO went through a ridiculous amount of verification of their own data/systems at the 1st Gravitational wave detection. Surely it would be worth it to send out a 2nd copy. It's some people's careers.

FAH doesn't require each person to wait for a wingman before issuing credit (there are some checks still) but that doesn't mean an identical copy isn't sent to someone else. I've seen cases where BOINC tasks get enough bad results that legit results get trashed.

I agree, some projects I think are a waste. 123Numbers, aka Van Der Waerden Numbers, it was crunching the order of colors in some order/sequence. The site isn't even running any more. I think that kind of reflects on it's importance in society.

123Numbers actually ran until he got his work published. And then it l123numbers was an example of a project that ran until attempted publication. So, just like many other projects, publication (or attempt of such) is as far as it got. So, it not running anymore isn't uncommon nor reflective of the science done. However, I agree the "science" really isn't all that exciting or practical for real world benefits. But that isn't what the thread is about.

It also doesn't mean identical tasks are sent to a second machine for double checking either. That is why I said wingman. I also presented projects in general when discussing some using this double checking and some not.

Lots to consider when picking projects. There is a reason the team in general focuses on the two and a small group supports many. It takes a lot of time, effort, and energy to keep up with them all.

BOINC has many challenges throughout the year where teams compete aganst each other, or team placement/personal placement added up at the end of the year.
I like competition and challenges. I also like WCG, looking for cures for EBOLA, AIDS, Childhood cancer, Clean air/water and a whole host of other research now and over the years.
Primegrid has a series of challenges every year where many teams and people give it all they have for their teams. I guess you have to like team work/playing
I do believe the prime research helps with security code, data encryption. Plus it adds the general science of mathematics.
What ever you choose to do, have fun doing it. And watch your electric bill. Running several systems 100% load 24/7 can add up!

Honestly the WCG challenges is what got me into WCG. I think it was the Christmas race.

As for electric bill you are correct. My last bill was a little over $400.

Back