Folding@Home on the PS3: the Cure@PS3 project

Wow, that is awesome news! Might actually justify the cost of a PS3.

On another note, did anyone else see this?

August 2006 We're running on the cluster and starting to ramp up. Vishal's new method to build cores should yield a FAH core soon, but it will take a lot of Q&A (GPU folding is much more sensitive to machine configuration) so it will still take some time before we release the core. It's pretty exciting for us to see the calculation racing away on the GPU cluster! Prof. Pande also formally announced FAH's GPU client at his award lecture at the Protein Society meeting, with a great response for the GPU work. We will be making a more formal announcement of the GPU client and some other surprises relatively soon. Note the update above regarding GPUs -- we currently plan to support only recent generation ATI GPUs (see above).

We are beta testing the ATI GPU client software internally at the moment and will likely announce an open beta in four to five weeks (end of September).

Kool!!!

I mis-read something but when/how/where is the PS3 thing happening?

Let's keep the GPU folding over in the correct thread.

Folding on the PS3...interesting idea, although with the PS3 price forecasts I've seen, GPU folding might give you better ppd/$. But millions of PS3's folding would certainly be a huge boost to the program.

Mohonri said:
Let's keep the GPU folding over in the correct thread.

Folding on the PS3...interesting idea, although with the PS3 price forecasts I've seen, GPU folding might give you better ppd/$. But millions of PS3's folding would certainly be a huge boost to the program.

Since the ability to fabricate PS3s are reported to be limited, that means we will only have a possible "X" number of PS3's shortly after launch (assuming the client will be ready by then). The question is, how many people that actually buy the PS3 will know of folding? But, I guess since the Pande group is actively working on the client, they believe it is worthwhile, but it will be interesting to see how much of a boost FAH actually gets.

folding should be preloaded on all PS3 :) (with a disclaimer somewhere of coarse :))

Looks like it may be time to take the pci-e plunge.

Been chugging along great for a long time with AGP.

oh well, what's a few more bucks hurled at the cause :D

drkfce said:
Since the ability to fabricate PS3s are reported to be limited, that means we will only have a possible "X" number of PS3's shortly after launch (assuming the client will be ready by then). The question is, how many people that actually buy the PS3 will know of folding? But, I guess since the Pande group is actively working on the client, they believe it is worthwhile, but it will be interesting to see how much of a boost FAH actually gets.

I'll have on the day it comes out and if the client comes out before or on that day, it will be folding as soon as I can get it up and running. Best Buy warranty should make it safe enough to run 24-7, if it dies, you just get another.

ND40oz said:
I'll have on the day it comes out and if the client comes out before or on that day, it will be folding as soon as I can get it up and running. Best Buy warranty should make it safe enough to run 24-7, if it dies, you just get another.

It definitely is warranty material. A good test for the ps3 for sure.

sirholio said:
It definitely is warranty material. A good test for the ps3 for sure.
Great point. An added benefit is it's a good way to stress test the cell CPU...which is a good thing considering the issues with xbox 360 cooling .

Back