Folding Electric Car Headed For Production

That innovative dynamic modular platform wouldn't survive a harsh winter without bunging up.

Reality doesn't work that way.
Guess I live in a fantasy world of 7+ million dwarves and elves, who ride the magical underground griffinway system, with over 120 million riders every year. Because actually reality does work that way here.

After watching the video, my question is...how the fuck do you get out of the car if you park that close to each other in a parallel spot?

Lived in Europe no, major airport yes. I travel A LOT for my job. As a matter of fact because of the type of job I work, using public transportation is simply not an option. While I don't require a large vehicle, I do require my own vehicle. This is not the type of job I planned on working again, but work is work. Requiring public transportation or a specific license to operate a vehicle in the city is extremely naive and idealistic. Next month I may be back in a desk job again, who knows. Either way, I still wouldn't ride public transportation because frankly it is too bloody expensive, inconvenient and there is far too much crime associated with it.

Afraid real life doesn't work that way buddy. Read the above.

Reality doesn't work that way.

No, I am simply not so idealistic that I am unable to see how reality actually is. Apparently unlike some of you, I actually work in the real world where things like this are not even remotely feasible.

It's all typical Progressive fantasy land.
Unless you live in a densly populated area, mass transit doesn't work. The light rail and bus lines we have out here in Southern California (with all it's wonderful urban spraw) are all heavily subsidized by the taxpayers. If they set ticket prices based on what it really costs to run the system, they would loose most thier riders as it would be much cheaper to drive. If they somehow managed to increase ridership to 10%, the state would be flat broke in less than a month.

Unless you live in a densly populated area, mass transit doesn't work. The light rail and bus lines we have out here in Southern California (with all it's wonderful urban spraw) are all heavily subsidized by the taxpayers. If they set ticket prices based on what it really costs to run the system, they would loose most thier riders as it would be much cheaper to drive. If they somehow managed to increase ridership to 10%, the state would be flat broke in less than a month.

wait, what? how would more riders cause the state to lose money?

I'll be buying one of these smart cars when everyone else has one too... because I'm sorry but that thing doesn't stand a chance in a collision with something like a Yukon, Denali or Grand Cherokee...

So that's why Americans all drive absurdly large vehicles, they think its some sort of arms race :p

Mass transit won't work for cross country here in the US because American's are all about "me me me", but it could work in cities if implemented correctly. Otherwise how does it work in Paris, Venice, Rome, and other European cities? I spent a week in Paris and never missed having a car. Trains, buses, and footwork got us everywhere we needed to go, and not just tourist locations (though we did visit a lot of those). We went to out-of-the way restaurants, did some grocery and local shopping, etc. Didn't spend as much time in Venice (only 3 days) or Rome (4) but again never felt like we were missing out not having a car.

Then there was being able to take an overnight train from Paris to Munich, Germany, something that is practically impossible to do in the States anymore. Much nicer than crowding on a plane. Germany was the only place we rented a car during the entire trip and that was just to get to a small castle hotel that we wanted to stay the night at, then drove out to see Newschwanstein and drove down to Rothenburg.

Heck, there are some areas that it works just fine here in the states too. My inlaws live in New Jersey, drive a couple miles from their house to the train station, take the train to Philly, switch to the subway, and take that to their work. No, mass transit isn't going to work for everyone, like if you have to haul equipment or travel to remote offices, but I get really sick of all the "your living in a fantasy world" when it could work for a large number of people if done correctly. Even if it only worked for 1/20th of the workforce, that would still be reduction in the number of vehicles on the road...

Considering all the other "crap" that my taxes go to that I don't agree with (military, politician salaries, etc.) I'm more than happy to help support mass transit, if done right.

cool they can use these all major cities... ban all cars/trucks from operating in commercial centers/non residential areas inside cities unless you have a work license that requires operation of said truck/van. Force folks onto public transportation or these types of smart eco friendly modes of transport. next step... make all the cars automated... plug in destination and they drive themselves at a brisk 10 to 20 mph on city streets... lol would be nice but fat chance of that happening.

you're an idiot. ban all cars/trucks? what If I dont live near one of your utopian cities, I am never allowed to enter one? "FORCE?" people to use a public transportation, nearly half the US population lives in suburban or rural areas. How man mountain towns (and large cities) in the midwest nearly shutdown due to snowfall? Its hard enough to get around in a gas powered 4x4, let alone crappy public transport or battery powered moving lawnchairs. You ideologists lack some very needed grounding. Im all for being eco-friendly and sustainability, but nobody has the right to force me to be that way, I chose it for myself.

Sure mass transits doesnt work well in the US. Not saying it'll work and solve all our problems in it's present form.

If you want it to work... it can if you make it work by top down forcing it down the people's throats cause it's for the greater good.

The problem is the top down forcing bit... doesnt sound very American and wont get any traction. Even if you get all the liberal progressives on board... they will get slaughtered by the Republicans and the auto centric folks.

Unless the US suddenly starts taxing gasoline like they do in Europe for the pollution damage it causes to the environment... it wont work. You need gas at about $4.50 a gallon to really get people to even start having thoughts about buying a hybrid car. lol Imagine how much higher you need it for em to go public transport only?

Unless the Government is willing to force it and also spend some major $ for infrastructure investments... and by investments I dont mean the crap the President passes off as HS Rail. I mean real public transport from subs to the city that work in a timely manner and is reliable and can accommodate folks and their LUGGAGE. You leave the house empty handed but when you go shopping you come back with bags and bags of stuff. Riding public transport is a pain cause they dont accommodate folks who shop. Also having cramming a bus/train full of people when all the seats are full needs to stop. Trains use to have private compartments... for folks who wanted em and could afford em.

you're an idiot. ban all cars/trucks? what If I dont live near one of your utopian cities, I am never allowed to enter one? "FORCE?" people to use a public transportation, nearly half the US population lives in suburban or rural areas. How man mountain towns (and large cities) in the midwest nearly shutdown due to snowfall? Its hard enough to get around in a gas powered 4x4, let alone crappy public transport or battery powered moving lawnchairs. You ideologists lack some very needed grounding. Im all for being eco-friendly and sustainability, but nobody has the right to force me to be that way, I chose it for myself.

So, this brings up a question I have. Take Chicago for instance. When they have a big snow storm what happens with the "L" and the rest of their mass transit? Does it all shut down? Just encounter delays? Serious question since I see these type of posts saying mass transit doesn't work in the mid-West and northern cities. I know I've ridden the subway and trains in Philly during heavy snow to get around.

As to the "I chose it for myself", thanks for proving the "me me me" attitude. I guess no one should be able to tell me not to drive 100 MPH, or not to drive without headlights at night, or not to drive without a seatbelt. We already have rules about who (need a drivers license) and how to drive. If the infrastructure was put into place where all you had to do is drive to a central location and then let someone else take over... What is so wrong with this?

Going to be interesting to see the divide between European and American culture in 50-100 years.

So, this brings up a question I have. Take Chicago for instance. When they have a big snow storm what happens with the "L" and the rest of their mass transit? Does it all shut down? Just encounter delays? Serious question since I see these type of posts saying mass transit doesn't work in the mid-West and northern cities. I know I've ridden the subway and trains in Philly during heavy snow to get around.

As to the "I chose it for myself", thanks for proving the "me me me" attitude. I guess no one should be able to tell me not to drive 100 MPH, or not to drive without headlights at night, or not to drive without a seatbelt. We already have rules about who (need a drivers license) and how to drive. If the infrastructure was put into place where all you had to do is drive to a central location and then let someone else take over... What is so wrong with this?

you guys just dont get it, most of the population doesnt have access to subways. and trains? the only train I could commute with is amtrak, which would cost me around $50 a day, and take 3x the time as it would to drive. We dont all have access to this type of stuff. But once again, those wanting to impose their will on others aren't thinking of others (you quoted me as a "me me me" selfish attitude, but Im not the one trying to tell others what to do)

So lets force everyone to do something because I think its right and it works for me

you guys just dont get it, most of the population doesnt have access to subways. and trains? the only train I could commute with is amtrak, which would cost me around $50 a day, and take 3x the time as it would to drive. We dont all have access to this type of stuff. But once again, those wanting to impose their will on others aren't thinking of others (you quoted me as a "me me me" selfish attitude, but Im not the one trying to tell others what to do)

So lets force everyone to do something because I think its right and it works for me

And you don't get what I'm trying to say...

I realize that it doesn't exist currently. THAT IS THE PROBLEM. The infrastructure would have to built before it could ever actually take off.

Personally I don't ever see the idea of imposing city traffic restrictions working. Most cities don't do it that I know of anyways, even in Europe. There are still people driving cars around Paris, Rome, etc. All I'm saying is that as a country we need to work on this to get away from the idea that everyone needs to drive themselves to get around. Especially long commutes from suburbs. Wouldn't it make more sense to do your driving around the small suburb or rural town, and take mass transit into the big city? But no, every time something comes up and idea of using tax money to get the ball rolling gets tossed out there it is immediately "Not with my money! I want to drive myself and not be tied to someone else's time schedule!!!"

I completely get the idea that most of the nation doesn't have the mass transit system in place. I even mentioned that I live in Houston.... which has basically nothing and is one of the most spread-out cities I've ever encountered. That whole "everthing is bigger in Texas" attitude was taken to heart as it just keeps spreading.

Instead of forcing people to comply with rules and regulations, changes need to be made. For example, build a light-rail around Beltway 8, tracks on each side. Then restrict 2 of the 4 lines to "carpool" lanes. Sure, people can still drive on the remaining two lanes, but carpooling and the light-rail would end up being the faster route.

The problem is it is always a "catch 22" scenario. We can't implement mass transit until the infrastructure is built, but no one wants to build the infrastructure without seeing people use mass transit :rolleyes: And absolutely no one wants to pay for it.. they'd rather keep buying new cars, using more gas, cramming more vehicles on the highways, building more lanes for the cars, etc. etc. The only way I ever see mass transit taking off in the US is for someone to take firm stance and extreme actions that force people to start looking at it as a viable alternative....

I think the concept is great, but the problem as stated is the safety in a collision. Part of our problem is we drive such big vehicles. I can't really think of any solution to that, as there are some applications where a big vehicle is needed such as transports and buses. Though I'd say 90% of us drive a vehicle that is bigger than what we really need. We are dragging around half a ton of steel to move one person, it's just not efficient!

Though what would be neat, but cost too much upfront, would be if there was a "personal car" road system, designed for these cars, and they would be separate from larger vehicles. Technically, all side streets could be designed for these vehicles, and highways would remain for bigger vehicles. But then there's the logistics such as transports getting supplies to specific businesses etc. Inter city trains could maybe work, but now it's just adding more complexity and cost.

Well, one thing that could be done to limit the number of large vehicles is to restrict them to operating in the city limits between the hours of 10 PM to 6 AM. That gets them off the road before rush hour. Buses would of course have to be excluded, but that would get rid of all the semi trucks, dump trucks, garbage trucks, etc. Basically any non-human transport that can't go from 0 to 60 MPH within 20 seconds. It would also help with slowdowns and congestion from these vehicles not being able to get up to speed in stop and go traffic. Plus less cracked windshields from them kicking up loose gravel and debris (I've replaced on average one windshield a year since moving to Houston).

It is a simple concept but some of you seem really dense so I'll spell it out.

1) Drive near the city.
2) Park
3) Take mass transit to desired destination.

or

1) Drive a tiny car like this one

If car is needed for work, they will give you a special license.

And this is what will happen when it goes against a semi:
Truck-in-Small-Car.jpg

Truck-in-Small-Car.jpg

Oh dear Lord, we all better drive semis then! That'll fix everything :p

People will drive old muscle cars with no safety features that'd kill you in any medium speed accident, people ride bikes that would kill you regardless of what you hit, but energy efficient cars aren't cool so we'll stay away from those because of poor safety.

Better stop walking as well, you're fucked if you're walking and get hit by a semi... oh wait, I see from the average waist size that most Americans have already stopped doing any walking, such a safety concious people. :p

Well, one thing that could be done to limit the number of large vehicles is to restrict them to operating in the city limits between the hours of 10 PM to 6 AM. That gets them off the road before rush hour. Buses would of course have to be excluded, but that would get rid of all the semi trucks, dump trucks, garbage trucks, etc. Basically any non-human transport that can't go from 0 to 60 MPH within 20 seconds. It would also help with slowdowns and congestion from these vehicles not being able to get up to speed in stop and go traffic. Plus less cracked windshields from them kicking up loose gravel and debris (I've replaced on average one windshield a year since moving to Houston).

Yes because limiting peoples ability to work is such a GOOD idea...

First, don't drive so damn close to things that kick up gravel and you won't have a problem with cracked windshields. The last one I had was 14 years ago and that was because I was *gasp* following a dump truck too close.

Things your little idea seems to forget completely.
1) Semi's are mandatory as businesses require delivery of product in order to function.
2) Construction requires dump trucks
3) Garbage trucks likewise perform a mandatory service.

So you are saying that All the businesses should operate at hours not between the hours of 6am and 10pm? Good luck selling that. This is the problem with idealism, it isn't grounded in reality. The idea doesn't work on any level.

Truck-in-Small-Car.jpg

Actually this is what will happen when it hits anything larger than it.

Ok, instead of just telling everyone they are idealistic idiots how about tossing out some ideas of how to
1) reduce the number of cars on the road, instead of increasing every year
2) reduce our gas usage in the US
3) Increase the desire/need of public transportation in the US

Oh, wait, in the "real world" it just can't be done so we just just toss our hands up and say screw it, right?

Yes because limiting peoples ability to work is such a GOOD idea...

First, don't drive so damn close to things that kick up gravel and you won't have a problem with cracked windshields. The last one I had was 14 years ago and that was because I was *gasp* following a dump truck too close.

Things your little idea seems to forget completely.
1) Semi's are mandatory as businesses require delivery of product in order to function.
2) Construction requires dump trucks
3) Garbage trucks likewise perform a mandatory service.

So you are saying that All the businesses should operate at hours not between the hours of 6am and 10pm? Good luck selling that. This is the problem with idealism, it isn't grounded in reality. The idea doesn't work on any level.

Actually this is what will happen when it hits anything larger than it.

Yes it's obvious that larger mass is more dangerous on the road, but people die in SUVs just as much as they die in small cars, mostly due to lack of maneuverability and/or high center of gravity causing loss of control, toppling over, more hydroplaning etc...

Here's an SUV in another lesson of mass vs force:

4859570.jpg

Driver error is the most dangerous thing on the road, size is a pro and con to survival, ask the dinosaurs.

All I can think of is this...
PBF.jpg

I also saw a smart car get crunched between a H2, and an F350. Driver was dead, and there was not much identifiable of the car. Driver didn't stand a chance.

I would hat eto get itno a an accident in one of those. also what if something breaks and you get stuck in the upright position....?:eek: An SUV will kill you in a micro car.

This thing is going to have to be made out of unbreakable, uncrushable everything and it's going to have to have some type of full body air bag that goes off in the cabin or something before it's ever sold.

Ok, instead of just telling everyone they are idealistic idiots how about tossing out some ideas of how to
1) reduce the number of cars on the road, instead of increasing every year
2) reduce our gas usage in the US
3) Increase the desire/need of public transportation in the US

Oh, wait, in the "real world" it just can't be done so we just just toss our hands up and say screw it, right?

I am not an idealistic idiot so I am not going to start throwing around retarded half thought out ideas on how to address those issues.

No one is saying this will be for everyone across ALL of America... I am saying it is for the mega cities and I mean the huge ones like LA, NY, SF, Chicago, Huston... you know the ones where there is a ton of people in small confined space. It's not for the smaller to mid size cities in the middle of nowhere in the Heartland of America... your not gonna see this in Nome Alaska. If you live out in the boonies you can still drive what you want... just if you need to get into the City... you'll end up parking outside in a complex and end up using one of the smaller eco friendly cars or public transport.

As for the folks who dont have access to trains and stuff.. that is why the government will need to invest in the infrastructure to build it. Public Works. It wont happen overnight with the stroke of a pen. Will take decades and vast $.

I can see the need for it but we can all agree that is is also a dream that cant be put into practice today... it's a map to the future that can only work if we build it and plan for it. I dont think it can happen not unless we get gas at over $6 a gallon with no relief in site.

And I personally dont like these plug in cars... the batteries I think are worse and more toxic than gas. I think at the stroke of a pen we can ban the production of regular gasoline cars and all move over to diesel. Diesel gets more milage per gallon that regular gasoline and gas stations all over sell diesel already...

Europe is moving in the right direction and I think we here in the US is lagging behind... heck we still use inches/yards and miles... =/

Since these cars are parked facing the curb as opposed to parallel to it, the driver might have some hairy experiences backing out into traffic. :eek:

No one is saying this will be for everyone across ALL of America... /

Yet those that support the idea think gas NEEDS to hit $5+ a gallon to kickstart this type of infrastructure. So for those who are going to be able to use this instead of normal vehicles great, the rest of us won't even be able to afford to fill up, but as long as its for the greater good right?

Then let's talk about cost, cities aren't going to be forking over the cash to implement these systems, so it would probably come down from a federal level. Which means, once again, taking from many to provide for a few.

sorry Im being so selfish that I dont want to make my life worse to make yours better. If you truly thing vehicles are a problem, dont buy one. If you want to lessen your carbon footprint, build a self-sufficient, sustainable home. They are fairly cheap (comparing to normal construction of the same $/sq ft) and easy to build. Dont fly or travel anywhere unless under your power, recycle wasted shower and toilet water, retrofit all your electronics, heating, cooling etc. The list could go on and on. If you really want to make a difference these are things you should be doing. Campaigning for another government funded energy saving program (because they all seem to be so successful) is just nonsense. If you do everything above and more you still dont deserve to tell me what I can and cannot do, although I would probably be much more keen to listen.

This thing is going to have to be made out of unbreakable, uncrushable everything and it's going to have to have some type of full body air bag that goes off in the cabin or something before it's ever sold.

lol, that will never happen.

Back