Folding + diskeeper invisitasking

meatfestival

[H]ard|Gawd
The new version of diskeeper is based on a feature called invisitasking which runs constantly and defrags your drive only using idle CPU time, much like FAH, and therein lies the problem. When FAH is running, invisitasking won't do anything at all. I've tried throttling FAH's CPU usage, but diskeeper won't kick in at all until there's at least about 50% idle time.

I don't seem to be able to adjust diskeeper's priority, is there any way I can make FAH's priority even lower? (it's already at idle)

Or can anyone think of any other solution?

Don't use that feature. :p

Set it to defrag when you are not using the PC.
3-5am gets it done fine on all my folding rigs.

3-5am gets it done fine on all my folding rigs.
You can set up a scheduled task to do this, as well.

Is there a reason you want it to specifically defrag when you're not using it, rather than at a set time of the day?

Another possibility is to manually raise diskeeper's priority through task manager.

Is there a reason you want it to specifically defrag when you're not using it, rather than at a set time of the day?

Yes, it's a far more effective way of keeping the drive defragged since it's running constantly.

Another possibility is to manually raise diskeeper's priority through task manager.

Tried, can't.

you could throttle F@H (i know i know...heresy) to 50% or whatever you need....then both programs will split the idle cpu cycles.

Yes, it's a far more effective way of keeping the drive defragged since it's running constantly.

Is there any reason you need that much defragmentation juice? Do you actually notice when it's not defragged day to day?

It may come down to sacrifice. Do you hate file fragments or do you hate helping people? :D

Back