folding 4p with v7 in ubuntu 12.04

overdoze

Weaksauce
Is there any gain by switching to v7.
Do we have a guide somewhere I can use to install v7 ... I only see the guide to fold in ramdisk.

My experience with v7 on linux was you get the same ppd, but got larger wu when running smp. Also noticed things seemed to be spread out more. Only real reason to use v7 is for...new gpu core(in beta).

Last edited by a moderator:
The only benefit (if you want to call it that) is that it has the "predownload" of the next WU before the current unit is finished so it starts crunching while the finished unit is uploaded.

Langouste covers this for the V6 client.

You will make about 10%+ PPD doing the Musky Install over 7.3.6. Been there, done that. 31:10 TPF vs. 33:00 TPF. I switched over 1 machine, saw the gains, then did the rest. If I would have known about the Musky Install, and started there, I would have saved a lot of time.

But installing 7.3.6 is done from folding.stanford.edu. Click on Old Site link. It's easy to use, and a good place to start IMO if you are not familiar with Linux. As you read this site more, and feel comfy doing things from Terminal instead of the GUI, then migrate. Tech support for 7.3.6 is done at www.foldingforum.org

Back