Folders/Files Disappearing?

sdotbrucato

[H]ard|Gawd
So I was called into the office today because their "Tracker" couldn't be located. I walk in the office, with the usual, "ugh you woke me up for something so dumb" attitude. The damned folder and all files are just gone.

Okay so someone deleted it off of the Share, go to backups and restore it. Yeah this folder is gone, the earlier backup I found of the folder was early June... they were working with it yesterday.

I've never gotten errors with the nightly backups, nothing has changed.

We're just going to have to recreate the last 4 months of business logging, no big deal really, the president is a paper whore, hard copies of hard copies.

My question is, has anyone ever come across anything as weird as this? Is there something I'm missing?

Environment: Windows SBS 2003 Std SP2 R2; Windows XP Pro SP3; Windows Vista Business x64.

Do a search for this folder within all the shares? Perhaps someone "cut 'n pasted" it to another location.....somewhere post June..and have been working with it since then in the new location?

why wasn't the folder being backed up?

That's the ultimate question man.

The share was on all backups before June 6th 2008. Then it falls off the face of the earth. All of the other folders in the "CSR" share are there and being backed up with no problem.

EDIT: Our backup routine is , x10 250GB external HDDs, cycled. every friday I take the QuickBooks and a few Folders (CSR being one of them) and throw them on a DVD. Just so we have a some sort of previous version archive.

The lovely Rosie already re-entered all the info, so it's really not that big of a deal. This weekend I'm going to go into the office and review my backup policy and config.

Thats why you always have to check your backups. Are you sure that the file was there the day or two before?

all i can say is Mozy Pro............... never have to worry bout shit.

i doubt they even have close to 250gb of data.

do you run logs on who does what on your network? if so check that to see if it was moved, "dragged and dropped somewhere ect." but its SBS i have seen that do really strange things before.

Back