Fold for the [H]orde and Win!

Kendrak

[H]ard|DCer of the Year 2009
Welcome new folders! Here is all the information you will need to get started folding!

It is quite simple:
Fold for team 33
Start before the end of April
Post your bage here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1038594817#post1038594817
Average 4k Points Per day (PPD) through the month of May (A Q6600 or 8800GT will do over 4k PPD)
Kyle will pick a winner (random draw by post number)

What do you win?
Well a $100 newegg giftcard is what!
To help purchase all those boxen bits that you want.

I'm new FAQ!
How do I get my badge? http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1027699981&postcount=5
Where do I get the folding client? https://fah-web.stanford.edu/file-r...ws-xp-32bit/v7.1/fah-installer_7.1.52_x86.exe
Where can I look at my stats? http://www.hardfolding.com/fh_stats/index.php or http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=33
What is folding? http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Science
What results has F@H produced? http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-Diseases

Fold on! Fold [H]ard!

<As always this post can be edited and updated by myself and Kyle at anytime.>

Last edited:
Well, my GTX 550ti will have to churn out what it can until I can get a spiffy i7 upgrade!

Folding for the [H]orde now! Changed allegiances for all the help you guys gave me! Can you confirm my contributions somehow?

BTW: where is this "badge" and how do I find it in order to post it?

Last edited:
Well, my GTX 550ti will have to churn out what it can until I can get a spiffy i7 upgrade!

Folding for the [H]orde now! Changed allegiances for all the help you guys gave me! Can you confirm my contributions somehow?

BTW: where is this "badge" and how do I find it in order to post it?

Check out the FAQ post at the top of the DC forum. It has all of the guides you need to get going.

:D TY! I'll do it when I get home!

Edit: Wow.... I have a lousy 8000 points compared to many MILLIONS from you other guys... pathetic. :p

We all started at the bottom once upon a time. Just fold [H]ard and reap the rewards. Beer and tamales. Oh, and cookies, I'm told we have cookies too. But they make my beer taste funny... ;)

We all started at the bottom once upon a time. Just fold [H]ard and reap the rewards. Beer and tamales. Oh, and cookies, I'm told we have cookies too. But they make my beer taste funny... ;)

cookie-monster-beer_thumb.jpg

C Is for Corona

:D TY! I'll do it when I get home!

Edit: Wow.... I have a lousy 8000 points compared to many MILLIONS from you other guys... pathetic. :p

Wow I remember when I had a lousy 3 points and when I finshed my second WU I had lousy 6 points. :D They grow over time just give them a little encourgmant as time goes on. ;)

Nice, guys... This is a treat for $100 at NE? Count me in... :D

Sc0tty8 will probably just win this one again anyway :D

To be fair, sc0tty8 is one of the main reasons we have this contest.

He didn't take the giftcard money for his prize, just the hardware.

Last edited:
Yeah I heard he said keep the case too. What a prick!

Is this only for new folders?

Nope, everyone, just want to make it new folder friendly.

It looks like this has also pulled some folders out of the woodwork, current and past.

Great to see a bunch of names that aren't always here in the DC section showing up.

My guess is Steve is going to drop the front page pimpage today to it carries over for all weekend.

Last edited:
Sorry for the newb question, but is there a way to reduce the load on the cpu while folding? I don't mind my vid card to be at 75 degrees, but my i7 being at 78-80c makes me cringe a little.

Also fun fact, just counting my tower, with the current power usage while folding, it would cost me $14.12 in electricity to run 24/7 lol.

**Nvm, figured it out.**
On the right on the FAH client control, change the drop down box from Novice to Advanced and you will have a new tab under 'configure' that will allow you to adjust the cpu %.

Last edited:
Sorry for the newb question, but is there a way to reduce the load on the cpu while folding? I don't mind my vid card to be at 75 degrees, but my i7 being at 78-80c makes me cringe a little.

Also fun fact, just counting my tower, with the current power usage while folding, it would cost me $14.12 in electricity to run 24/7 lol.

**Nvm, figured it out.**
On the right on the FAH client control, change the drop down box from Novice to Advanced and you will have a new tab under 'configure' that will allow you to adjust the cpu %.

Welcome!

If power is the concern, you can drop of the GPU if/when extra heat in the house isn't wanted. I know a number of people run GPU at night when it is cool.

... **Nvm, figured it out.**

I don't know if its changed, but I thought it was better to lower the number of cores used versus using the CPU % option. Will lower your temps either way, but I think you get better ppd changing the number of cores. Maybe someone else can confirm, but that I was I was told when I was getting started.

Welcome!

If power is the concern, you can drop of the GPU if/when extra heat in the house isn't wanted. I know a number of people run GPU at night when it is cool.
Thanks!
I don't know if its changed, but I thought it was better to lower the number of cores used versus using the CPU % option. Will lower your temps either way, but I think you get better ppd changing the number of cores. Maybe someone else can confirm, but that I was I was told when I was getting started.

I will give that a try, temps did go back up to 79ish,it just took longer.

Quick question - can NewEgg vouchers be redeemed from overseas? Specifically, Australia?

Bah, who cares, 4K PPD is easy done :)

God finding the badge code for my account is like hunting big foot I dont have time to find my badge or jump through all the pages there is to much stuff on them and $100 that I may or may not win is not worth digging through the pages.

I see none of these find member buttons on any page.

im out my patience is lost if it takes me more than 10 minutes to post a badge not worth the effort and I have a.D.D so that makes it even more annoying.

Found you, took about a min to go through the different variants of your name that are registered.

Guys, how many ppds does a 5870 or 6970 do ? I currently have 25 cards (combo of two) doing bitcoin, just wondering how many i would need to transfer?
I'm assuming, like bitcoins GPU is were it is at ?

Actually multiple processor boards are where its at. GPUs are typically too expensive to run compared to CPUs. Unfortunately, just like NVIDIA does poorly with bitcoin mining, AMD does poorly at F@H, though I don't think the difference is as severe. I would think 1 - 2 cards should get 4k ppd, but each card basically requires a core of the processor. If you are running a sempron, that may be an issue for the other cards mining. Never folded on an ATI card, but I have heard they are usually not worth it.

EDIT: If you have something like an 8800GT or 9600GT or better, that should be able to meet the requirement.

Quick question - can NewEgg vouchers be redeemed from overseas? Specifically, Australia?

Bah, who cares, 4K PPD is easy done :)

no only way for that to work is if some one in the US or canada bought the item and then shipped it to you.

God finding the badge code for my account is like hunting big foot I dont have time to find my badge or jump through all the pages there is to much stuff on them

For anyone else having similar issues, here's how to find your badge!

1) Go to hardfolding.com and click on the F@H Statistics on the left.
97205887.png

2) Type in your username in the search box (located in the top-left corner of the page), and click search.
47495003.png

3) Under "Team Members", click on your name.
39122813.png

4) Scroll to the bottom of the page, and pick a color for your forum badge. The colored boxes in the table ARE all links, it's just hard to find the perfect pixel to click on.
34731517.png

5) Find the badge type that you like, and copy the Message Body Code. Paste that into the correct thread on the HardForum and you're done!
81742170.png

thanks for the tutorial there teejay, will be helpful for those that are not sure how to figure it out, pics = WIN!!!

Back