FN Key placement - I want CONTROL!

netdale

Weaksauce
Ok, just got a new eMachine.......and hate the FN placement. Can I get a utility or something that will map it or something? Switch the 2?

Thanks - just something to think about!
Dale

Yeah, I was wondering if there was any way to modify the drivers used or something...I want to switch them too!

if i had it, i'd be interested too. thats the same as my parent's old thinkpads, i hate it cause i always hit Fn when i want ctrl.... just habit.
and all my laptops and keyboards up to now have the ctrl key in the normal place. hehe/

There is way, within linux, to adjust your input signals to map and resolve to diffect character... But I assume you're referencing windows?

I'll give it a bump.

I would also like to be able to change the placement of the Fn and Ctrl keys.

Sager has this option on some of its laptops. It requires a BIOS flash and is model specific. I'm not sure how well a utility will work, if it even exist. This is more of a hardware level thing.

I could get it to work if i knew the binary code for it - E0 ??

Thanks, Dale

There are programs out there that will remap the keys. But, on most laptops the FN key cannot be remapped. I know it can't on my Gateway. I believe this is because its function is controlled by the BIOS. Good luck.

Ok, I have power management on (obviously) in my clean install of Windows XP Pro. Yet when I leave the machine go and turn the monitor/lcd off I have to use the function key (FN+F4) to get it to come back on. Suggestions? Is this normal? Do you guys with XP Home have this issue?

Thanks Dale

Has anyone found a BIOS image and a utility to flash said BIOS onto the emachine. Then has anyone dissassembled the BIOS?

Another thing to try is get the BIOS images from sager (exact same versions, except one with and one without FN/CTRL key swap), dissassemle, then compare (spot the calls to do it).

Then see if you can apply the same logic to the emachine BIOS dissassembly.

Very dangerous and experimental and could render machine useless if bad flash.

pop off the fn key and keep it with you to press only when needed when you teach your self were the ctrl key is and stop pressing that blanke space put the fn key back in. while the fn key is out if you need the fn key just place it back in for the time needed or use the ctrl key

Back