FM2+ mobo, anybody getting one before Kaveri?

pcjunkie

2[H]4U
Anybody thinking of biting on one of these motherboards before Kaveri hits? I'm thinking of picking one up plus a 760 processor in the mean time until they are released. I'd go for Intel but dam do they lock their processors down now with no room for OC unless using the K version. :(

I was about to, but then i found the intel L5639 six core for $75 and well... cant beat that...

I was about to, but then i found the intel L5639 six core for $75 and well... cant beat that...

You can if you can't find a MB that will OC the BCLK to 200 for a reasonable price.

If I were buying an FM2+ board it might be the ASRock A88X Extreme6. I had good luck with my A85X Extreme6. Great clocker.

But I don't think you could go wrong with the Asus or the Giga UP4.

Yeah, I have a 970 on a socket 1366 Intel board at work. Great power processors but man do they run hot! I think I would like to go a little newer on the socket/cpu front.

You can if you can't find a MB that will OC the BCLK to 200 for a reasonable price.

If I were buying an FM2+ board it might be the ASRock A88X Extreme6. I had good luck with my A85X Extreme6. Great clocker.

But I don't think you could go wrong with the Asus or the Giga UP4.

I am using two of the ASRock A88X Extreme6 motherboards at home right now, one with a 750 and one with an A10-5800 and I must say that I am very impressed by their stability and ability to OC. If you are looking for an FM2+ board, I would give them your first look...

I was going to get the asrock a88x itx board. In general, Asrock boards have been very good and fairly priced.

I was going to get the asrock a88x itx board. In general, Asrock boards have been very good and fairly priced.

The initial batch of A75 ITX boards were terrible and had a very high failure rate. ASRock is hit and miss for me, but like I said, the A88X Extreme6 was fantastic.

I am using two of the ASRock A88X Extreme6 motherboards at home right now, one with a 750 and one with an A10-5800 and I must say that I am very impressed by their stability and ability to OC. If you are looking for an FM2+ board, I would give them your first look...

I had a A10-6800K and a Biostar 85 FM2 motherboard a couple months ago just to play around with and it was one of the most stable rock solid combos I've ever built out of all the Intel/ AMD systems I've put together. Sleep/hybrid sleep worked perfectly on Windows 7.

PS: Darn that cpu ran warm though!

i am interested in the 88x mITX boards, but not until i can get a (new) processor to go in it.

i aslo want a board that supports the dedicated PCIe m.2 I/O on kaveri.

the new asrock a88x itx is very interesting and it has the new 1150 audio ic on board, which is very nice for HTPC usage, kaveri is said to be powerful enough to run madvr with APU so it's a perfect setup for ITX.

it would be nice to have no doubt, but i imagine for htpc usage a lot of people would be outputting audio through the HDMI...

I'm probably going to do a green/black build using the G1.Sniper in a few weeks.
Will be eagerly awaiting Kaveri if the leaked benchmarks are true.
Should be great for an Htpc/Steam box regardless.

I just bought the gigabyte g1 sniper last night.

and a A4-4000, and 8gb DDR3 2133.

Going in my family room. Will upgrade the cpu when Kaveri comes out.

i'm considering it, just don't know how AMD will handle DDR4.

They released FM2+ now, Kaveri about 2 months later, will there be a new FM3 socket 1-2 months later to support new Kaveri and DDR4?

Nice board...I'm waiting for any good xmas combos on a FM2+ micro atx plus cpu but can't really find any. I know the egg has a few APU combo deals but nothing earth shattering yet.

Well I just got my new HTPC up and running.

Based on the g1 sniper and a A4-4000. The board is nice. Bios is easy to use and is fully featured. It doesn't have the greatest VRM cooling, but they do run cool at least with this cpu anyways. All installed in a Fractal Design Node 605.

I will drop in the top model Kaveri when it comes out.

Probably jumped the gun a little, but It was getting really old using my laptop. So I now have computer just for the Family room surf web, and stream videos, it can actually run some games now. Granted the Kaveri part I hope will greatly expand things on the gaming front.

I don't think AMD has plans for DDR-4 in the near future, so hopefully they don't release DDR-4 boards and Cpus or i'd probably be kicking myself for my recent purchases.

I am still on the fence about buying a board before I can pair it up with it's intended processor. Right now I have my eyes on the ASUS A88XM-PLUS, but given how I loath ASUS, I am not convinced I should. Out of all the A88 mATX boards I would love to know which ones support 3-pin fan control. I believe ASUS is the only one but I could be wrong.

If it were not for the need to control fans via the MB, I would gladly go with another ASRock.

I just grabbed the Asus A88xm-a, 6800k and 8g 2133. Replacing my ageing 775 socket.

Just pulled the trigger on a Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI mini ITX board for my new HTPC build.

I just wish it came without WIFI. It's an expensive little board, and decked out with all these features I'll likely not use, but I need mini-ITX, and there only seem to be two mini-ITX FM2+ boards out there right now, both with Wifi...

Paired it with a used A4-4000 from eBay for now. Maybe down the line it will get a better Kaveri chip, but a HTPC that will do nothing but play videos will likely not need it...

Last edited:
I agree with rene mauricio, buying a mobo before cpu release is like driving on a spare tire.

I agree with rene mauricio, buying a mobo before cpu release is like driving on a spare tire.

Meh,

I bought an AM3+ MSI 990FXA-GD80 prior to bulldozer launching, and now a Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI prior to Kaveri launching.

Thus far I have not been burned by this (except for the fact that Bulldozer wound up sucking, so I moved away from AM3+, but that's not the motherboards fault)

Maybe I've just been lucky.

Back