"Floss" and "The Carlton" Dance Emotes Removed from Forza Horizon 4

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by cageymaru, Jan 15, 2019.

1. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard|News

Playground Games and Turn 10 Studios have taken the initiative to remove controversial dance emotes from Forza Horizon 4 that are the center of a lawsuit against Fortnite creators; Epic Games. Dance creators Alfonso Ribeiro, Backpack Kid, and 2 Milly filed lawsuits against Epic Games in response to their dances appearing in the game without their permission. The mother of "Orange Shirt Kid", Rachel McCumbers filed a lawsuit against Epic Games this week. Her son's dance was added to Fortnite after fans begged the game's developer, via an online petition, to include the child's dance. Her son submitted his video to get his dance added to the game, but didn't win. The patch notes for Forza Horizon 4 Series 5 can be viewed here.

There are currently no reports of any lawsuits against Turn 10 Studios, Playground Games, or publisher Microsoft, which means the removal of The Carlton and Floss from "Forza Horizon 4" today is likely just an attempt by those companies to cover their backsides.

2. wizdum

wizdum [H]ard|Gawd

"Controversial dance emotes" is not a phrase that should exist. The fact that this phrase actually makes sense in our modern language means that we have failed as a society.

Wrecked Em, sleepeeg3, Rahh and 25 others like this.
  3. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ [H]ardness Supreme

All this to avoid teabagging

Haha.

At least that's not trademarked.

iamjanco and cageymaru like this.
  4. scojer

scojer 2[H]4U

Why does a racing game even have dancing?

Also the mom of the orange shirt kid is very greedy. He's happy his dance is in the game. She sued anyway.

5. MaZa

MaZa 2[H]4U

Yeah she is a scum and I hope his kid will hate her for it. To my knowledge he was incredibly happy that even if he did not win the dance contest he got enough support that his dance got added in anyway. Nobody got financially compensated in this contest anyway, even the winner, and IIRC the dance was free to the players so what is there to sue? I think it will be dropped in a heartbeat.

scojer likes this.
  6. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

Dancing emotes in a racing game?....

tenor.gif

7. Nolan7689

Nolan7689 [H]ard|Gawd

Dance emotes in a car game could only work with Transformers I think.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  8. xmadror

xmadror Gawd

Kinsaras likes this.
  9. Kelter

Kelter Limp Gawd

Greedy mom whose going to be in for a shock when she finds out her son copied the dance from Roy Purdy. Granted part of the reason the dance made it in was because of the Orange Shirt Kid.. thus the name Orange Justice, but the dance credit on Epics site are to Roy.

GhostCow likes this.
  10. viper1152012

viper1152012 [H]ard|Gawd

Quick post youtube videos dancing in crazy new fashions so we can sue future successful industries... Ffs

scojer likes this.
  11. Dregan73

Dregan73 Limp Gawd

fuck these people you cant own a dance, this is so stupid, is there a fucking patent on dances now ? jesus what is this world coming to

Wrecked Em, Rahh, Armenius and 7 others like this.
  12. ZodaEX

ZodaEX 2[H]4U

The world has been shit for decades. You've never been inside of a factory farm have you? Do you have any idea of the horror show that happens inside? Every single day on Earth there is immense suffering and most people don't lift a finger to change it.

13. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

Good god how about during the boot screen just tell players, "sorry we wanted to add some silly fun but that dude who's career peeked 20 years ago and and other greedy fuckers wont let us

Armenius, Bankie, scojer and 2 others like this.
  14. haste.

haste. [H]ard|Gawd

Shit I'm probably in trouble. I use the Carlton GIF on Android to quick reply to idiot friend's comments all the time. This is getting out of control.

15. chaos4u

chaos4u Limp Gawd

Well because its not really decided if these, so called 'dance creators' actually have legal leg to stand on. from what i have read it seems that the argument they are trying to make takes the performance of the dance rather broadly.

since these 'performances' are not the entirety of the act off playing the game but only a imitation of life it may constitute as fair use especially even more so in that it is transformative .

and even if they do find favor, its quite possible the production houses who paid for the scripts are the actually owners, and not the actors themselves because they were already paid for their work on the project.

In simple terms these people dont own jack all because their dances are nothing more than normal bodily movements and are not the primary part of a performance, even more so that if some one was willing to delve into to time necessary there is most likely prior art in the interpretative dance competition that these dances most likely directly or indirectly borrowed from .

in other words its bollocks. and should be thrown out of any court with prejudice.

Rahh, Armenius, scojer and 3 others like this.
  16. mord

mord Limp Gawd

sooo... the lawsuits will probably win for a bajjilian dollars.

17. tetris42

tetris42 [H]ardness Supreme

It's being reported that Doom, Project Cars 2, and Farm Simulator 19 will be removing their dance moves as well.

18. BloodyIron

BloodyIron 2[H]4U

Did you guys know the original unreal tournament 2003 had dancing emotes in the victory screens of each match?

testicle likes this.
  19. El Derpo

El Derpo Limp Gawd

WoW comes to mind for the first time I saw that kind of thing in a game.

BloodyIron likes this.
  20. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

UT99 had them too but I don't count pelvic thrusts & arm celebrations as dancing.

scojer and Slyr7.62 like this.
  21. Fifliffl

Fifliffl [H]Lite

Duke nukem did a dance where he ripped off heads and shat down necks.

Wrecked Em, scojer and Darth Kyrie like this.
  22. maxz01

maxz01 Limp Gawd

Off-topic I know but Im glad to see someone recognize this. Also suffering in the natural world though, plenty of it. My hope is for machines to eventually replace living things but im crazy

23. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

Don't care about that crap in the game, anyway. I made my avatar into the Sleepy Douche when I first started and haven't touched the editor since.
    Spotted the vegan.

24. harbingerofdoom

harbingerofdoom Gawd

this is why we cant have nice things.

25. RogueTrip

RogueTrip 2[H]4U

Can't wait till models start this shit for poses. Zoolander is gonna clean up.

26. fadedlogic

fadedlogic Limp Gawd

DAMMIT!!!!! I almost bought the game while I"m waiting for Cyberpunk 2077

27. Cr4ckm0nk3y

Cr4ckm0nk3y Gawd

What happened to the good old days where your character would just wave, give the finger, or make a jerkoff gesture??? Why do they have to dance??

scojer likes this.
  28. toast0

toast0 Gawd

Lol, when I was looking for a car recently, one of my criteria was 'doesn't look like a robot', I guess that was smarter than I thought. :)

29. ZiggyDeath

ZiggyDeath Limp Gawd

Victory dance of your avatar.

30. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

1.) Why do these games have dancing in them at all?

2.) What, did they copyright their dance moves or something? Can you even do that?

These complaints seem frivolous. Just because you are the first to dance a certain way on Youtube doesn't mean you have any ownership rights to it what so ever.

Epic probably would have won in court, but decided the battle wasn't worth fighting due to legal costs, the risk of blowback or both.

scojer likes this.
  31. scojer

scojer 2[H]4U

That's just... lame. Don't waste my time with a dancing avatar, show me the race results and take me to the next race or main menu.

32. ZiggyDeath

ZiggyDeath Limp Gawd

There's a lot more they could do to fix MP in FH4. The matchmaking, for example, is basically trash tier, where only A,S1,S2 races exist.

What's funny is is that long MP load times are almost certainly down to people playing this game on a toaster, and not the XB1 players.

33. Wrecked Em

Wrecked Em [H]ardness Supreme

I'm going to trademark my own dance, which is just me walking.

Then I'm going to sue everyone.

34. Domingo

Domingo Skip My Posts

Destiny 2 has a shitload of emotes (including both of the ones above), so I'm curious if they're either paying to use them or if nobody has noticed.

35. Kelter

Kelter Limp Gawd

Waiting for Elaine from Seinfeld to sue all the bad dancers in the world for copying her.