Floppy disk controller..No floppy???

g1xx3r

Supreme [H]ardness
I just built a new AMD system as follows..

AMD 4000+
Asus A8n32-SLI
Dual Raptors..yadda yadda

In XP under device manager a Floppy Disk Controller shows up but I dont have a FD installed..Is this normal??I tried uninstalling it but it reappears on boot up...Thanx in advance!

my bios (yours may too) has an option 'Report No Floppy to Windows'. That prevented windows from seeing an imaginary floppy drive.

Disabled in bios also and it still shows up..Is this common with this mobo as my previous systems never did this?

Just disable it in device manager and it won't consume any resources and it'll be like it was never there.

Could be your bios handles things differently. I see no cause for concern.

the only way to get rid of the floppy disk controller would be to unsolder it from the motherboard. Don't worry about it.

Thanx guys..I disabled it..Still dont know why it shows at all..Is that specific to the A8n??

Your motherboard has a floppy disk controller regardless of whether you have a floppy drive or not. If the FDC is enabled, windows will recognize it and install a driver for it. It's not specific to your motherboard at all. Any(or should I say most; I'm sure there's a few odd exceptions) motherboard with an FDC will behave like that.

g1xx3r said:
Thanx guys..I disabled it..Still dont know why it shows at all..Is that specific to the A8n??

after you've disabled it, I think you should be able to uninstall it from the device manager and have it be gone for good.

Eva_Unit_0 said:
after you've disabled it, I think you should be able to uninstall it from the device manager and have it be gone for good.

Tried it and its a nogo.Upon restart it reappeared so I disabled it again.Ive built several floppiless rigs and this is the first time Ive seen this.

Back