Flight Simulator Fans Are in For a Treat on PC

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Have you missed flying your assortment of planes on Microsoft Flight Simulator? If you have been Jonesing to play a new edition, Steam is bring back the classic in fine style. Dovetail Games has picked up the challenge and is scheduled to release the new version, called Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition, on December 18th.

Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition delivers an authentically accurate aerial experience for simulation enthusiasts and those with a passion for all things flight. Pilots can climb into the cockpits of over twenty aircraft, from commercial and fighter jets to single-engine private planes and helicopters.

Last edited:
Need a real updated replacement, as IIRC, MSFSX doesn't even have proper multicore support.

Need a real updated replacement, as IIRC, MSFSX doesn't even have proper multicore support.

Lockheed Martin's Prepar3D is what you want. Essentially the former FSX devs optimized FSX to use more modern hardware. Although it does have some capability issues with some addons. Some other reasons why most have still remained on FSX; although Prepar3D seems to be the future replacement.

Not sure how FSX: Steam Edition will be. I suppose many addon makers will modify their product to work on it. But if it doesn't, I don't see too many people moving to a version where their $500 or so of addons won't work.:p

My dad used to play that game for hours. By hours I mean he would fly from one end of the country to the other and just stare at the instrument panels and maps for hours while the plane flew. Looked boring as hell to me, but he absolutely loved that stuff.

FSX has been kept on life support by 3rd party and community devs creating content. It's nice to see someone officially picking up the reigns. That said, I gave up on FSX and switched over to DCS. I still enjoy sandbox flying into cool and unusual airports, DCS has so much in the way of realistic detail, it's just more fun.

FSX has been kept on life support by 3rd party and community devs creating content. It's nice to see someone officially picking up the reigns. That said, I gave up on FSX and switched over to DCS. I still enjoy sandbox flying into cool and unusual airports, DCS has so much in the way of realistic detail, it's just more fun.

I am getting so tired of that terrian though. FSX does have one thing that DCS doesn't: scale.

Lockheed Martin's Prepar3D is what you want. Essentially the former FSX devs optimized FSX to use more modern hardware. Although it does have some capability issues with some addons. Some other reasons why most have still remained on FSX; although Prepar3D seems to be the future replacement.

Not sure how FSX: Steam Edition will be. I suppose many addon makers will modify their product to work on it. But if it doesn't, I don't see too many people moving to a version where their $500 or so of addons won't work.:p

weird EULA though

As provided in our End User License Agreement, the Prepar3D application is not to be used, offered, sold or distributed through markets or channels for use as a personal/consumer entertainment product.

RIP Microsoft's Flight. It was Microsoft's longest running title, before they decided to abandon Windows gaming for consoles.

RIP Microsoft's Flight. It was Microsoft's longest running title, before they decided to abandon Windows gaming for consoles.
Yup, pretty much. I still don't even understand the logic, as gaming on Windows is still their own product. I'm imagining it had more to do with office-politics and division warfare than anything else.

Hilarious too since they are selling XBoxes at a loss, and still don't make up 1/4 of PC gaming sales on the console.

Yup, pretty much. I still don't even understand the logic, as gaming on Windows is still their own product. I'm imagining it had more to do with office-politics and division warfare than anything else.

Hilarious too since they are selling XBoxes at a loss, and still don't make up 1/4 of PC gaming sales on the console.

Except consoles (like tablets and phones) are a walled garden ... MS doesn't get to charge a company a license fee to release a Windows program ... they do get to charge them a license fee to release an XBox one ... the 30% cut of app store revenue is what makes that venue attractive to MS, Google, and Apple ... Windows has no such price of entry

Except consoles (like tablets and phones) are a walled garden ... MS doesn't get to charge a company a license fee to release a Windows program ... they do get to charge them a license fee to release an XBox one ... the 30% cut of app store revenue is what makes that venue attractive to MS, Google, and Apple ... Windows has no such price of entry
Yeah, you're right. Sucks for consumers though taking a 30% cut for doing basically jack squat. And those "savings" get passed on to us. :rolleyes:

$4.99 on Steam Holiday Sale right now.

Bought it.
Will install tomorrow, spent all day trying to NOT throw a Windows 8 laptop out the window because the wireless card keeps turning itself off, even when plugged in, with power save mode disabled, with the do not turn off box checked in device manager.

Bought it.
Will install tomorrow, spent all day trying to NOT throw a Windows 8 laptop out the window because the wireless card keeps turning itself off, even when plugged in, with power save mode disabled, with the do not turn off box checked in device manager.

I have the same problem with my wireless driver, but it manifests when I move from one domain to the next (home vs work vs school)

I wrote this .bat file to restart it from the desktop (need to run as admin)

find the index by:

wmic nic get name, index

then make the .bat file where index= is your wifi card #
Code:
wmic path win32_networkadapter where index=2 call disable
PAUSE
wmic path win32_networkadapter where index=2 call enable

I just want a complete revamp of Freelancer to be closest to what Digital Anvil wanted to release before they sold out to Microsoft and were forced to cut a bunch of content or a top-notch sequel. Hello, Microsoft...you listening? If Win8 is any indication, then no.

I just want a complete revamp of Freelancer to be closest to what Digital Anvil wanted to release before they sold out to Microsoft and were forced to cut a bunch of content or a top-notch sequel. Hello, Microsoft...you listening? If Win8 is any indication, then no.

You're gonna summon heatlesssun if you do stuff like that.

Nope, no Freelancer sequel for you or anyone else! Go play yucky space spreadsheets with EVE Online instead.

Tried that already. Gave it about 15 minutes. Couldn't get in to it at all. See? Microsoft can fill a void here with a Freelancer sequel instead of doinking around with putting old flight sims on Steam!

My only concern with this release is the tiny but huge disclaimer at the product page. Add ons may or may not work with version. FSX is a great base, but without addons it's as good as dirt

Back