flat monitor quality

Discussion in 'Displays' started by popalazarou, Aug 11, 2018.

1. popalazarou

popalazarou n00bie

hi

is there a monitor that is as good as or better than a sony fw900 nowadays. Also what roughly is the expected lifespan of a rog swift ips or one of them new oleds. Is there anyone here with a rog wift that is now years old? in this day and space age i would expect manufacturers to want a cycle of maybe 5 years, but how long could these monitors last.

2. XoR_

XoR_ Limp Gawd

Depends on which parameters you consider important when rating quality of monitors
    Unfortunately Dells 4K 0" OLED is not 120Hz because if it was then it would be superior to FW900 in every single category except 'ability to run multiple resolutions' as its panel is already strobing at 120Hz. It is prohibitely expensive though and if it was 120Hz it would be even more so...

If you want excellent display and deep wallet then these new 27" 4K 144Hz (or rather 120Hz I would say...) G-Sync panels with FALD backlight and DCI-P3 and HDR 1000 support are far better than FW900. Sure they have some 'blooming' effect to them but so does FW900...

3. popalazarou

popalazarou n00bie

thanks,
    would you say that the speed offered by these new monitors would be comparable to 85hz at 1920x1200 on the fw. I always seem to find that the lcd panela seem to be a little off with motion. I have tried the tn rog swift , but not the ips panel (tbh that would be my price range) hopefully i can hold out a while longer.

4. cybereality

cybereality 2[H]4U

I have an ROG Swift, the one that came out in 2014 (1440p 144Hz GSync). Had it for 4 years now, it's still kicking, no problems. I imagine it will last a long time if you take care of it.

Never got to try the FW900 myself, but I had a pretty high-end NEC CRT back in the day. I'd say that current flat panel tech is overall better than CRT, but there are compromises to make depending on what you want.

I'd recommend 1440p 144Hz (w/ adaptive sync) as the best overall bet right now. High refresh and adaptive sync are really quite nice, and a big improvement over earlier LCD technology.

Personally, I'm using a 4K TV as a monitor, but it becomes difficult to drive 4K at max settings unless you have a Titan (and even then, you might have to adjust settings) or SLI/Crossfire (which has it's own set of issues).

So 1440p is more realistic in terms of having the horse-power to hit 144fps (or, with GSync/FreeSync, 90fps feels great and is the sweet spot).

5. XoR_

XoR_ Limp Gawd

I you have FW900 and can not afford spending money on good monitor then just hold on to it. It's size is adequate and performance in games excellent
    1920x1200 at FW900 can be used at 96/1.001Hz and it is imho best compromise between resolution and refresh rate for this monitor. Simply the best mode for this monitor.