flat ethernet cables ??

venm11

2[H]4U
Are there any issues with flat ethernet cables? I don't understand how they can achieve the same signal integrity if they don't use twisted pairs or shielding (at least I assume, given their flatness). Are there different length or speed limits?

Example:
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimited-UTP-1800-50W-UltraFlat-Patch/dp/B0007QQJX4

I've been using a wireless bridge (dd-wrt on netgear 3500L) to extend ethernet between floors, but have found that to be pretty unreliable. With the flat ethernet cable, I can easily run it between windows in the back of my house; it will fit under a closed/locked window.

On ebay you can get a 50ft category 7 (F) flat cable, which I don't exactly believe.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I use one at work and it works fine. But mine is only 6 ft long. Buffalo includes them with their NAS units.

Yeah, I didn't even know such a thing really existed until I got in a Buffalo router with one in it.

I don't know either, how great it would be without the twisting, I also don't see a point in having a flat one. But for short distances, probably not problem.

if you twist the pairs, but put them next to each other instead of bundled in a circle, is it not square and flat?

Unless we should begin a lawsuit for them lying about being EIA/TIA 568 specifications compliant

I have used these as of late to run under carpet next to the walls where we had no other options to run cables. So far they have worked quite nicely for what we have done with them.,
Not sure as to them meeting all qualification ...:confused:

if you twist the pairs, but put them next to each other instead of bundled in a circle, is it not square and flat?

Unless we should begin a lawsuit for them lying about being EIA/TIA 568 specifications compliant

sure, square and flat, but a lot thicker than these cables are, especially with the gauge and shielding requirements of cat6&7

one of the flat cables i have (which I got from buffalo, same as those guys) is a lot like a ribbon cable with separations in the molded casing. And it works fine ... at 6ft anyway. The question is whether it works at gigabit @ 50ft and also takes abuse of having a window clamped down on it.

a further thought... i think that without the twists, it will be more vulnerable to RF interference. fortunately the path doesn't run along AC wires, but it will run with the coax bundles (satellite).

They will work fine, but are more susceptible to interference and crosstalk. I would keep them to short distances if you really need them.

Back