Flat-Earther Successfully Blasts Off in Homemade Rocket

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
After a number of hurdles and setbacks, flat-earther Mike Hughes finally managed to blast off in a homemade rocket on Saturday. Mr. Hughes managed to reach an altitude of 1,875 feet and a speed of 350 mph before landing back in the Mojave Desert. The stunt was performed to help him ascertain whether the world was truly "shaped like a frisbee."

“Do I believe the Earth is shaped like a Frisbee? I believe it is,” he said. “Do I know for sure? No. That's why I want to go up in space.” In the future Mr. Hughes wants to build a ‘Rockoon’ – a rocket that is carried into the atmosphere by a gas-filled balloon, then separated from the balloon and lit – which would take him about 68 miles up. He revealed he also planned to run for governor.

*shrug* At least he's willing to admit he might be wrong, and is also willing to do the science to prove it for himself. I applaud all idiots who are diligently working to remove themselves from the gene pool ... chuckleheads who are willing to hurt themselves to amuse me .... citizens who are on their own journey of discovery.

1,800 feet? He could have just climbed up one the the hills! This is stupid. You can drive to Pike's Peak and thats 14,000'.

This guy is just some stupid attention whore. I'm dissapointed he didn't blow himself up.
Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking. There's a number of "mountains" (hills) around here that are between 1500 and 2500' in altitude, hell when I was in Maui I went up one of the extinct volcanos which was like 10,000 feet altitude, and I was higher than the clouds (Earth still looked flat though :D)

I wonder if anyone ever asked him why the sun rises in the east and sets in the west? If the Earth was shaped like a frisbee, it wouldn't do that, we would be in constant sunlight.

Flat Earthers have no concept of reality or physics. It amazes me.

IIRC Flat Earthers believe the Sun is like a huge torch that sits above the 'frisbee' and does circuits over it. Maybe a Spirograph as that might explain the seasonal variations in sunrise/sunset. :D

IIRC Flat Earthers believe the Sun is like a huge torch that sits above the 'frisbee' and does circuits over it. Maybe a Spirograph as that might explain the seasonal variations in sunrise/sunset. :D

lol, so the Sun rotates around the Earth? I guess every other planet would have to have its own star also. Man that's crazy thinking. Do do drugs kids.

I'm still trying to figure out how the Earth being a sphere means corrupt officials can siphon government funding to line their own pockets. If it were a disc, however, that wouldn't happen. Therefore, they must lie about it to the sheeple.

I wonder how many flat earthers there are outside of the USA.
USA always seems to lead the pack with these buffoons.

Give him a ride on a shuttle, get him in orbit so he can see he is wrong. Let him tell his fellow flat earthers he is wrong, then blow him out the damn air lock.

But that can be faked. Just replace the windows with TV screens, just like rides in an amusement park.

For the correct group of people there is no such thing as proof.

This guy is just an amateur rocketeer that found an easy and steady source of funding for his rocket hobby.

Pretty much. I mean if you really want to go high up to look at the Earth... get in a plane. Commercial airliners fly at around 40k feet routinely and you can fly higher than that if you want. This guy just likes playing around and has found a way to get dummies to give him money.

It’s sad that so many people vehemently believe what they do in the face of facts that they can’t be proved otherwise until they see it for themselves.

While a flat earth is most easily dismissed by anyone with half a brain, it’s sadder that most other things can’t because of how muddled they become by both sides.

Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking. There's a number of "mountains" (hills) around here that are between 1500 and 2500' in altitude, hell when I was in Maui I went up one of the extinct volcanos which was like 10,000 feet altitude, and I was higher than the clouds (Earth still looked flat though :D)

You need to book a long plane flight, one that travels at a high altitude. Just look out the window (assuming it's daytime and there are no clouds).
The curve to the earth will be easy to see.

1,800 feet? He could have just climbed up one the the hills! This is stupid. You can drive to Pike's Peak and thats 14,000'.

This guy is just some stupid attention whore. I'm dissapointed he didn't blow himself up.

He's a flat earth dude so everyone with half a brain knows he's an idiot, he doesn't even need to be an attention whore. Amazing that people are still this dumb in this day and age (and are this public about it). lol

Back