Flashlight Phone App Lied About Sharing Data

HardOCP News

[H] News
If any of you guys use this flashlight app, you might want to read this article. :eek:

The Android app Brightest Flashlight has been installed between 50 million and 100 million times, averaging a 4.8 rating from more than 1 million reviews. Yet its customers might not be so happy to learn the app has been secretly recording and sharing their location and device ID information.

Shit like this is why I now block every single installed app on my phone with 'Privacy Guard' (which supposedly blocks access to all personal data) on Cyanogenmod. I'm not sure how good it actually works but it makes me feel a little better. :)

Fuck these scum bag data thieves.
Fuck the NSA too while I'm at it.

So when installed, does it not have to have for permission to location data?

That was my thought...don't you have to view the permissions before installing? How is THAT "secret"?
Deception. They did not state that they would be sharing your info with others.
GoldenShore's privacy policy had mentioned that information collected would be used by the company, but the FTC said location and device information was shared automatically with advertisers and other third parties--even when users opted out. In fact, before they could accept or refuse the app's terms of agreement, the FTC said Brightest Flashlight was already collecting and sending information.

Deception. They did not state that they would be sharing your info with others.

Thanks. But if one had opted out of the app gathering location data then it shouldn't have mattered one way of the other correct? I would be suspicious of a flashlight app asking for location data.

Thanks. But if one had opted out of the app gathering location data then it shouldn't have mattered one way of the other correct? I would be suspicious of a flashlight app asking for location data.
I agree with ya, but they were gathering and sending data before you could opt out also.

I see this type of permission to data... To video camera usage etc in many market apps. EULA on these type of free apps show that developer just want you to get an interesting free app so that they can see your data, look through your camera and listen through your microphone.

It's an Android app...what did people really expect? If they don't want software that monitors what they're doing, they're going to have to grab a 100 MHz Pentium and a Win95 box with no connection to the Intertubes.

Why are app stores like the Wild West? I mean, look at the Windows app store. Who the fuck makes this trash? Design, functionality... all beyond piss-poor.

I am sure this is not the only app that does this. Even if it asked you for permission first, I am sure that a majority of those 50-100 million users would have blindly allowed it to.

Back