Flashing 5900nu to 5950u!!!

Skystalker

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, apparently, people are converting various 5900nu's to 5950u's all over the net... surprised that no one here as posted about it yet (that I have seen, anyways). I have put the links here for those that may be interested. Would like to see what the [H]oard has to say about it.

Hey, Brent... you have any thoughs on this? Hmmm?

Forum Thread

How-to Guide

Are these guys smokin a big bag of weed, or is this similar to the whole 9500np-->9700p thingy that happened with ATi last year?

-Skystalker

I have a BFG Asylum 5900U, will it still work? if its just upped vcore and clock speeds?

Well...

A buddy of mine has that EXACT same card-- he is wondering the same thing. He doesn't want to be the first... :)

It SHOULD work.

(like that word "should", lol)

-Skystalker

anyone with a BFG 5950 .... like to post there bios here ... please :D

i got a 5900nu that i woud to try the mod on .

The 5950 has 256MB RAM, while the 5900nu has 128MB. I don't know if that will make a difference.

I have a BFG Asylum FX 5900nu that I flashed to a 5950u :p

I used the leadtek bios to do it. I got the nfo from the future mark forums, BIG HUGE thread about it all. 1k increase in 3dmark 2001 and 2003 has about a 450 pts increase

Does VIVO funtionality still work on the BFG 5900NU after flashing?

bios will overclock your mem and core obviously. Whos to say you get any better score by using the top of the line bios comapred to using your nu bios but clocked at the same speed?

Nvidia might have left the headroom for a reason. Would sell ALOT of the mid-range cards if they can be flashed to flagship specs and not burn up. Then again, maybe luck.

does this work for all 5900nu cards? i have an XFX card and you guys all seem to have a BFG one.

This didn't work on my PNY 5900U 256MB card. It gave me an message saying the ROM file was incompatible. It still let me dump the image from my car though, so if anyone has a PNY 5950U, I'd love to try the ROM from that card.

Originally posted by creepcolony
does this work for all 5900nu cards? i have an XFX card and you guys all seem to have a BFG one.
I believe I saw someone in the futuremark forums saying they did it with theirs and it worked.

Originally posted by Unoid
bios will overclock your mem and core obviously. Whos to say you get any better score by using the top of the line bios comapred to using your nu bios but clocked at the same speed?
5950U bios has more vcore and vmem hence higher speeds.

So does this mod help with games too or is it a simple 3dmark point booster? I mean, who really gives a shit about 3dmark if it doesn't pull through in games. :rolleyes:

Let me know please....

thank you

Of course it gives you better performance in games, ignore 3dmark2003 its crap (the score will be higher)

The voltage of the GPU goes up slightly with the new BIOS so it allows for greater overclocks than if you have the old BIOS, so its worth doing really. I got an extra 45Mhz core and 10Mhz memory increases ontop of my old overclocks. A total overclock of 110/100

No bios's on the BFG website. I called the 24/7 tollfree tech support line and the dude had no idea about a video card bios.
Someone who has a BFG 5950u please make a backup copy and post or we will pm you cuz I dont want a Leadtek.

Originally posted by Skystalker
...Are these guys smokin a big bag of weed, or is this similar to the whole 9500np-->9700p thingy that happened with ATi last year?

-Skystalker

Don't see any similarity, since Unwinder's Soft9700 patch unlocked something worthy (read pipelines). Here we have a few MHz which don't seem to do jack.

Does anyone know why My temps for my bfg 5900nu flashed to 5950 with leadtek bios are showing about 8 degrees cooler. I was thinking that they should be warmer. And Does the leadtek bios slow down the fans at all? The readme for the bios said it would lower noise by 30% which should further increase temps a bit.

I flashed my 5900U 256mb to Leadtek 5950 and can honestly say my overclocks are much higher 535/1.06 then before I flashed 500/950 with stock f/hs.

Damn Uniod is everywhere!

Originally posted by Visable-assassin
if someone can get a BFG 5950 BIOS that has the VIVO shit intact..Im definatly going to try it

I absolutely agree with you on that!!

And while we are talking about pinching performance, Anyone know where there is a good walkthrough for voltmodding the BFG5900NU ?

Originally posted by DocFaustus
I absolutely agree with you on that!!

And while we are talking about pinching performance, Anyone know where there is a good walkthrough for voltmodding the BFG5900NU ?

ask killa bee :)

also i wonder if kyle or steve would mind dumping the bios from a 5950 they got laying around for us freaks to use ;) ;)

I just did this mod to my XFX GeforceFX 5900nu (400/850 default)
Worked without a hitch and I now have a 5950 ultra :) Haven't tried o/cing much more yet.

If you're wondering how to do it:
Most people have been using the Leadtek A380U TDH BIOS regardless of their card brand, get it here (scroll down to the bottom of the first post)

To flash it just boot off a floppy with the files on it and run WFFLASH NM A380U.ROM

If it says Flash OK you are done, mine came up with some verify/write error, I found out this is because on XFX cards (and perhaps others) the BIOS is write protected. You'll need NVFlash to override this. (google it) Once you have nvflash, run "nvflash -r" to un-write protect the bios then the above command and it should take successfully.

have fun :p

Two questions:
1. Even after the BIOS flash don't you still have just a 5900nu?
2. Does this flash viod the warrenty?

Originally posted by Visable-assassin
ask killa bee :)

also i wonder if kyle or steve would mind dumping the bios from a 5950 they got laying around for us freaks to use ;) ;)

Yes i would love for Steve or Kyle the dump the BFG 5950ultra BIOS....Hint Hint...

Let me find a link ofr voltmoding the 5900nu....or make guid real quick.

its a decient mod....just because its an easy Voltmod. Other than tht it dosnt do much.

[Chants] [H]ard upload a BFG 5950 BIOS [/Chants]

I ran into problems running FFXI with this mod so I flashed back.

Originally posted by I(illa Bee
Yes i would love for Steve or Kyle the dump the BFG 5950ultra BIOS....Hint Hint...

Let me find a link ofr voltmoding the 5900nu....or make guid real quick.

Thanks a lot man. Anything I can do to push it just a bit more.

I will be ripping off the stock fan and heatsink pretty soon (damn shame too, because I think it looks nice) in favor of a watercooled solution. How important is the active cooling on the ram? I am wondering if I can get away with some passive heatsinks for a while till I find a waterblock designed to go over the ram.

you probably wont ever find a water block that covers the ram too because every 6 months the card is redesigned and the block wont work, and blocks are something that are best if you can hold onto them. I highly doubt a MFG will make one.

On the up side, I ram my memory @ 2.8v for about 2 weeks, with no ram sinks at all, I just added them because I bought the epoxy for them and I had already cut the heat sinks. But even without the memory was never hotter that 2-5 degrees above case temp (temp probe used) so I don’t think it is all that necessary, but you should never go above 2.84v, it seems it will kill the card after 2 or 3 3dmarks. I run mine at 2.814v with ram sinks. I also see very little increases in clock vs. volts past 2.8v anyway.

The Voltmods: I must give credit where credit is due, Thank Mickey Mouse over at Xtremesystems.org for this one.

Basically, the picture shows it all, I modified his picture to make it a bit more detailed.
Just connect the Variable resistor like shown, but before you connect it to a multimeter to measure the resistance, YOU WANT TO IT SHOW THE HIGHEST NUMBER POSIBEL ON THE METER!!! SO for the 50k when it is at max resistance it will show anywhere from 48.000-51.000, but probably really close to 50k.
5900vmodguide.jpg

After you connect it, boot into windows, and hook your multimeter up to the voltage check point (set multimeter to read voltage not resistance) and start a 3dapp. You stock card should read at about 1.4v in 3dmode, or 1.58v if you using a ultra card or a ultra BIOS (don’t just start the game menu, start the game its self) then start turning the VR the way that decreases resistance and add volts, you will have to turn the a few time before you will see the voltage on the card change. GO very slowly, and only increase it in small increments allowing a burn in time in between.

I wouldn’t go past 1.6v on air cooling, and I would go past 2.81v memory at all…. So have fun. It took me 1.65v and a pelt cooler to get 610 MHz GPU core….but I’m on water/pelt cooling and not afraid of anything….muhaaaaa

I suggest you read thru this tread before you try it.
Here

Thanks again I(illa Bee. One more question: What GPU waterblock are you using right now? I have a Cascade on my CPU and I am thinking I should use a nice non-restrictive waterblock to go with it (inline of course).

Well, either the swiftech block or the dangerden blook. The Swifty is less restrictive as it is just a tank ontop of a copper plate, still very effective. I use the dangerden block as it get better temps expecially with the pelt.

the dange den is a bit restrictive as it seems to spread the water out thin thru many channels. My card runs load at 15c on the pelt, and when its un hooked for LAN gaming (just a water block is chills at 34c

Still no BFG 5950 bios?

*bump*

Come on, i know some one out there has a BFG 5950. :mad: Stop torturing us. :D

Originally posted by vbp6us
Still no BFG 5950 bios?

*bump*

Come on, i know some one out there has a BFG 5950. :mad: Stop torturing us. :D

I emailed BFG....nothing back yet.

Back