Flashback Dual Celeron Cooler Circa 1998

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Rich Gouge (our new HSF/AIO cooler engineer) and I were sitting here chatting over IM and editing his latest cooler review, and I went looking for an example of an old cooler review of HardOCP's. If you think we write crappy nowadays, check out how bad it was about 20 years ago. Bad, but still entertaining. Not every day you get to work a Ginger Lynn reference into a hardware "review."

Always wear your protective gear. I have on a beautiful hardhat, safety glasses, and condom combo. (no silly, no pics of the schlong!) Remember Kids, Danger is my Bidness.

1011493044pn8UIFaBjX_1_1_l.jpg

So that's what Kyle looked like as a kid.

Contrast 20 years later...

Reactions: Monte
like this
God damn it's been a long time Kyle. A Long Time. I have hated and loved this site like ice and lava, probably because for a while you had more political commentary than you have today. Out of the oh so many tech sites, over the recent years [H] felt like a slow but very steady resurgence that most other sites could not muster. A daily visit for me now, and always the click I look most forward to. Cheers man.

Wow, that was about 3 years before I joined up on here. To be honest it took a double take to recognize you. Were getting old KYLE!

Last edited:
Way back machine there. WOW love those shots. Can't wait to show Gibson those.

I remember wanting a dual celeron setup so bad back then but I was too poor for that and had to make due with only one.

^Never understood why anyone wanted one let alone two. While I sold some, never cared for the Celeron much, I liked the nickname Celery. Ah the memories, I did like playing with dual P's in the time like this one: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/review-pentium-ii-boards-intel,39-8.html. Yeah I know that bad guys review site, oh well. If you look don't forget to notice the undocumented secret 83Mhz bus speed, wow! Oh but you couldn't use your SCCI drives at that speed :( .

^Never understood why anyone wanted one let alone two. While I sold some, never cared for the Celeron much, I liked the nickname Celery. Ah the memories, I did like playing with dual P's in the time like this one: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/review-pentium-ii-boards-intel,39-8.html. Yeah I know that bad guys review site, oh well. If you look don't forget to notice the undocumented secret 83Mhz bus speed, wow! Oh but you couldn't use your SCCI drives at that speed :( .
That is some weaksauce shit right there, you need to go back to THG. ;)

Too bad you probably don't own any of them anymore. I'd love to see how well an old cooler works on today's procs.

What WAS your job at the time which had you flying all over the U.S. Kyle? Don't think I ever remember reading about it back then

I just recently put my 300mhz Celeron that I ran for a long time at 450mhz in the recycle bin. Maybe. That or it's in a drawer nearby lol, actually not sure now.

I don't exactly remember, but around ten or fifteen years ago I was probably looking up something hardware related like blu-ray playback or maybe GPU related. I came across this site and was like, this place is brutal and doesn't pull its punches for their tests. Wouldn't have it any other way! One of the few sites I go to daily and flashbacks like this remind me why.

1011493044pn8UIFaBjX_1_1_l.jpg

Hey kid, wanna pull my finger?

Combined with nitro and a spark, an explosive day was had by all.

The original Celeries sucked (no L2 cache), but the A-line was legendary.
Made me regret the sh*t out of buying a (at the time) top of the line PII-400, which could barely OC worth a damn (412MHz max) even with an aftermarket HSF.

Not complaining though, as it was unheard of (at least in my neck of the woods) for a 17 year old to have a fancy rig like that (PII 400, Canopus Spectra + Pure3D II, 2940UW, 3x Seagate Cheetahs, Miro DC30).
Paid it off too doing a ton of video conversion odd jobs :)

Going to dust off the old BP6 w/ 2x 366 @ 550 on the next visit to the folks. Hope it doesn't need a recap :)

that email still work? it suggests I send things :O
Yep.

What WAS your job at the time which had you flying all over the U.S. Kyle? Don't think I ever remember reading about it back then
At the time I wrote that I worked for Aggreko's Oil Free Air division and was responsible for sales and spec'ing in compressors for planned and emergency outages in manufacturing plants all along the east coast.

On the plus side Kyle you’re like a fine wine. Looking more handsome with age.
Want to get a drink later?

I like how those old pictures are optimised for 56k and 800x600 monitors.

I almost, almost feel old.
Well, remember full resolution at that time was still 640x480. I still have that camera. Was awesome in its time.

IMG_20180130_085938.jpg IMG_20180130_090015.jpg

Got to STOP reminding us about how OLD we're getting! :) Wasn't here for the opener, but have been here ever since. Remember the days though! Thanks for the trip.

What in the hell do you use 13 tons of air compressor to do?

That's a lot of beach balls.

You snobs with your Celerons...

I was too poor, bought a Cyrix P120 I think it was.. where the 120 was NOT the Mhz.. but the "performance" rating... It ran at 99mhz iirc. UGH! After that it was an AMD k6 followed by an AMD K7 slot cpu... Shitty capacitors killed that cpu/mobo...

Every 6 months something newer and faster was out.

The original Celeries sucked (no L2 cache), but the A-line was legendary.
Made me regret the sh*t out of buying a (at the time) top of the line PII-400, which could barely OC worth a damn (412MHz max) even with an aftermarket HSF.

Not complaining though, as it was unheard of (at least in my neck of the woods) for a 17 year old to have a fancy rig like that (PII 400, Canopus Spectra + Pure3D II, 2940UW, 3x Seagate Cheetahs, Miro DC30).
Paid it off too doing a ton of video conversion odd jobs :)

Going to dust off the old BP6 w/ 2x 366 @ 550 on the next visit to the folks. Hope it doesn't need a recap :)
Hmmm, I don't remember that so much, I know some were good overclokers, but people I was selling to didn't OC. But I never found the price performance that great. They did make good cheap workstations though where the server was doing a lot of the work. But as always mileage may very.

What in the hell do you use 13 tons of air compressor to do?

That's a lot of beach balls.
The biggest job I ever worked on-site was after the Ford River Rouge Complex explosion in 1999. 5 killed, a bunch hurt. The #3 boiler blew up that serviced the entire facility. 93 buildings in 16M square feet where they produced the Mustang at the time. Iron ore literally comes in one end of the plant, and cars rolled out the other.

Back