‘Flappy Bird’ Generates $50K A Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
$50,000 a day? Damn, we are all in the wrong business. :eek:

The enigmatic and oppressively difficult mobile game Flappy Bird has turned into quite the cash cow for Vietnamese developer Dong Nguyen. In an interview with The Verge, Nguyen revealed that the game, which has been sitting atop the App Store and Google Play Store charts for nearly a month, is earning on average $50,000 a day from in-app ads.

It's a quick time-waster. No load time and your game's over in seconds, not minutes. That's the appeal.

That is insane considering there are NO microtransactions, JUST ad click revenue.

Not even interested in the game, my wife played flappy bird for a couple of days, it's already gone.

Dammit! That's awesome...!! I have so many ideas for apps, I just wish I knew how to effin' implement them without someone ripping off my idea.. Let alone making sure it's implemented correctly... SO MANY APPS...

12347702874_929f5ce71a_c.jpg

WTF!

Perhaps I'm just jealous :(

Is this click revenue, or impression revenue.

If it's click, WHO the F*** clicks ads?

Holy shitballs! I'm trying to think about how I would even spend that much. Say I put $5K away in savings every day, what would I do with the other $45K? I guess for starters I'd need to hire on MC Hammer as a consultant.

Seems like they could double their revenue if they showed ads while you were playing in addition to when you die.

Dammit! That's awesome...!! I have so many ideas for apps, I just wish I knew how to effin' implement them without someone ripping off my idea.. Let alone making sure it's implemented correctly... SO MANY APPS...

Ideas are worth nothing alone. No one would rip you off, if they do all the work they get all the money.

Hey, here's an idea: build a fridge that doubles as a home fusion reactor. Woo! Trillion dollar idea. Someone make it and give me 75%, it was my idea.

I like this game because i'm way better at it then all my friends :p

Never heard of it, but I'm sure I won't like it since I think 99% of mobile games are complete crap.

He gets 50k dongs a day for making an app? No wonder I avoided the app business, gotta dodge all those dongs!

I'm jealous as fuck, so I'll just talk a bunch of shit.

Why is Vietnamese the worst sounding language on the planet? Also, why is every Vietnamese person on the planet named Nguyen?

Why is Vietnamese the worst sounding language on the planet? Also, why is every Vietnamese person on the planet named Nguyen?
More importantly, the Vietnamese had no written language when Europeans came and introduced the roman alphabet. Why in hell did they decide that the best way to write the sound "wen" was "nguyen".... its like someone spilled some random alphabet soup and said, yes, that's it!

Two observations: $50k/day is an unverifiable number. He could say that it's 100k a day and we wouldn't know the difference. One purpose for lying about it is that $50k/day generates headlines which puts the app in front of eyeballs that weren't aware of it yet.

Also, if it is $50/k from impressions then those companies who are in an ad pool that is shown on that app will soon realize that they wasted 100% of the budget because no one actually clicks mobile ads, or remembers the obscure brands/products that are peddled through them.

Played for 10 seconds... uninstalled. Due to adaway, i contributed $0.00 to the company.

Protip: you can speed up or slow the bird by holding your phone upside down.

I tried it and uninstalled. It's like Demon Souls hard with a special fuck you added in.

50k each day lol

and doesn't even need to do anything. one month of fame is all he needs

I dunno, why are there so many Smith's on the planet?

Ideas are worth nothing alone. No one would rip you off, if they do all the work they get all the money.

Hey, here's an idea: build a fridge that doubles as a home fusion reactor. Woo! Trillion dollar idea. Someone make it and give me 75%, it was my idea.

Apple already does that!
And I'm pretty sure they have the patent on that process too!:(

I dunno, why are there so many Smith's on the planet?

Because people were surnamed by their occupation, and there were a shitload of blacksmiths back in the day. Not to mention all the other types of smiths, eg goldsmiths, silversmiths, etc. Same reason there are so many Taylors and millers. Nguyen was the name of a Vietnamese dynasty. Look it up, also an interesting story.

As for flappy bird...well good for him I guess. I really think these things are just flukes, like most shit on the internet. It goes viral somehow, gets extremely popular, then quickly fizzles out. Harlem shake anyone?

I really need to get in on this mobile app stuff. Some of the most simple stuff seems to make crazy money. It's odd really, because who actually clicks an ad on a mobile device? You're in the middle of playing a game, you're probably not going to click an ad unless it's an accident.

Back