Flammable Motherboard: Mobo or PSU problems?

Reagan

n00b
Okay, so I have a Core 2 Duo 2.2 running on a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L mobo, with an Antec Earthwatts 380 PSU. The other night, while trying to play On the Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness (Seriously, what a sad game to kill your computer, I should at least lie and say it was like CoD 4 or something), I started to smell burning plastic and saw smoke coming from my tower.

When I opened it up, the motherboard was literally glowing from the heat along the edge closest to the hard drives (Directly to the right of the RAM slots). There's no burn markings on the top or bottom of the mobo, just along that edge closest to the front of the case. I tried removing my video card, ram, etc, and turning it on again, and it didn't start burning again. However, with all the components back in, it went back to glowing/burning almost as soon as I turned it on. That makes me wonder, do you think it's a bad power supply causing the problem, through too much of a surge or something? I know I need a new mobo, but I don't want to replace it only to have it instantly catch fire again because of a bad power supply. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Wow, record a video of it? lol. I agree, replace both the PSU and mobo... just RMA them.

Back