Fixing Ivy Bridge high CPU temps: IHS removal video

Well finally got a new Asus p8z68-M Pro motherboard to test this de-lidded and then re-lidded CPU. My previous z68 1155 Asus motherboard would run the 3770K to 4GHz, but no higher and was flaky as hell (constant BSODs with 3770K although worked great with 2600K). This new motherboard is allowing me to run the CPU at [email protected] and high 50's, low 60's with Prime95. Seems the Liquid Metal Pro stuff works good in between the IHS and die. MX-4 paste between heat sink and IHS on mine. I haven't tried any higher as this was a simply pump-the-FSB-and-multipliers overclock. I did not mess with voltage at all. They are all set to auto still.

MB = P8Z68-M Pro
CPU = de-lidded 3770K with Liquid Metal Pro between IHS and die
Heatsink = Thermaltake Frio OCK (basically an "exact" copy of the megahalems with different fan/shroud setup)
16GB (4x4GB) Crucial 1333 memory

Anyway, I think that the scratch came when I had done the corner and was pressing towards the middle edge. I think the corner of the razor blade got to much action so for anyone trying this out: Be very careful NOT to cut with the corner/end part of the razor blade, only use the middle part. Hope it makes sense.

Yeah, only use the middle part.

Back