Fixing Dead Pixels On Your PC Monitor Or Smartphone

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Have any of you ever managed to actually revive or “unstick” a bad (dead/stuck) pixel? Both software (flashing the screen) and physical (applying pressure to the screen) “solutions” have never, ever worked for me, so I am really curious if this stuff is just wishful thinking.

The window will start flashing multiple colors very quickly (epileptics take care). Leave it on for half an hour or so, and then check the pixel again. Try this a few times to see if it works. This is the common method when attempting to resuscitate a pixel, and that’s actually a very apt word, because it’s not unlike a defibrillation. You’re essentially trying to shock the pixel back to life, into a proper response that will have it acting as it should. And like defibrillation, it’s a desperate move that may or may not work. It’s more likely to work on a stuck pixel that shows signs of life than a dead pixel which may stay unresponsive.

Neither method has ever worked for me. A dead pixel is a dead pixel.

Thankfully the last time I had a dead pixel was on an iPhone 3G.

I've had a dead pixel on my Monitor, and used this (as well as Pressure)
Most of the time it's good but sometimes the pixel turns blue again thou :(

Last edited:
Tried both methods on a monitor years ago but it didn't work for me either. Current monitor (LG IPS) has no dead pixels.

These methods are only good to fix stuck pixels. If it is dead there is no way to fix it. My monitor has one pixel that has only the red subpixel working, the blue and green parts are dead.

I don't know if I've been lucky or just can't see them, but I've never seen a dead pixel.

My monitor has a pixel that gets stuck every few months and applying a bit of pressure while flashing the screen will unstick it. Luckily I've never had the chance to try it on a dead pixel.

I have fixed stuck pixels that way, but it's only a temporary fix. Few weeks later back to being stuck.

i have a dead pixel on my monitor....i'm still rocking a 24" samsung 245BW. it's been probably over 8 years now. the dead pixel was there from the beginning, near the lower right corner and it's just stuck on blue. i never notice it thanks to the colour and location. i did try these methods long ago to revive it but nothing worked. i stopped caring.

Fixed a couple of stuck pixels, on an old NEC monitor, years ago. The massaging technique just damaged the surface. But the flashing color thing worked, took it several days, though. They stayed fixed, up until the monitor refused to power on, one day, after yet another power outage. As I recall, I wound up having to fix another stuck pixel, on the Acer that replaced it, and it's still fine.

I've fixed dead pixel on laptop displays with massage - IMHO I believe it was because laptop displays are much thinner than desktop displays, and of course phones have protective glass over the front.

It's far from 100% effective, but I'll always give it a shot.

lol I had my dogs knock a monitor off. I had a group of about 5 green pixels. I rubbed em out with an eraser and they never had any issues again. I bought the monitor in 08 had the pixel issue in 10. I sold the monitor and it is still in use till today. It's worked great for me. :)

stuck != dead.

And this is where the difference becomes annoying when trying to discuss it. Most people seem to act as if they're the same, but you can't revive a dead pixel. Sadly, they're far more common than they're made out to be, and the best way to avoid them is not to look in the first place. Even manufacturers with a zero bright dot policy still don't have a zero dead pixel policy. You have to be a super annoying customer if you want a working monitor.

one dead pixel - above program didn't work...I did however have a seizure. (No not really, but pixel still dead)

I bought a used ThinkPad from Ebay about 10 years ago that had a dead pixel. No amount of rubbing fixed it. I only paid like $100, and the pixel wasn't in a spot that bothered me (too much), so wasn't the end of the world for me.

You forgot the percussive maintenance option when the 'dead pixel' is actually an insect and giving the monitor a sharp hit will knock the thing loose.

Never had luck with doing this to monitor sized screens, but I did have a dead pixel on an iphone 3GS "fixed" by a friend of mine using the piezoelectric mechanism from a lighter.

I've had luck with the flashing thing to fix a stuck pixel. Sadly there was like 15 of them spread out through the monitor, which it only fixed one. Not the others. I didn't care all that much, as it was a crappy screen to begin with and long since replaced it. It's just the monitor for my file server, which I rarely have a need to look at it.

Absolutely have fixed a pixel with pressure of a finger. It doesn't need much so dont go too hard.

When LCD monitors were first coming out mine had three dead pixels which at the time was within "acceptable" range for new monitors. Applying slight pressure and rubbing revived the pixels and the monitor is still used today without any issues.

That said I have not had to do it on current tech

Stuck pixel yes I corrected one with a color flashing program once, but dead pixel was a no go.

My 4K Dell has a dark pixel. In Dell bullshit warranty land dark is not dead. Only bright is dead.

I have a 4K HP at work. Flawless.

Back