Fixing Dead Keys

diggƒreak

Limp Gawd
I spilled some water on my keyboard this morning, so I left it to dry in the window while I went to class. I came back 12 hours later, assuming the keyboard had completely dried, and started up. Everything seemed to be fine, but I just realized that my 3, 4, and 6 key on the upper row are not working.

I opened up the keyboard and gave it the hairdryer treatment for a few minutes, but the keys are still dead. Is there any way to fix this?

It's a Gateway branded Keytronic keyboard from around 2001. I love this keyboard and I hope I can fix it.

It seems that this guy, was able to fix a keyboard by putting down some aluminum foil on the traces that had shorted. Is there any way that I could test where I would need to do this in order to fix my keyboard?

Last edited:
You could try to wash it with a high concentration alcohol solution. But most likely it's dead perhaps you could replace it under warranty if you know how to word your problem right to the customer support.

Take it apart to take out the electronics and the put it in the dishwasher. it works great and is easier than it seems.

The keyboard is clean, but I think there's a short somewhere related to the conductive traces. Does anyone know how membrane style keyboards work? Mine has multiple trace layers, should I separate them and clean them off? What might I do to fix my problem without damaging my keyboard?

Back