FIXED

scgt1

Supreme [H]ardness
I really have no clue what keeps causing this issue as it's random but usually while watching media. On my desktop the screen seems to always go to an off white and the audio just sticks with the keyboard becoming unresponsive and the reset button not working. I have to hard reset it (press and hold the power button for it to shut off). If streaming to my living room it's screen goes an off black semi gray with just stuck audio.

I just don't get what to look for in event viewer or where to look. Using the reliability tool I was showing that the Corsair link software stopped unexpected so I have had that shut off from running thinking it was causing this problem. Apparently not.
This time the reliability viewer just showed that Windows wasn't shut down properly and that's it.

"The previous system shutdown at 7:32:59 AM on ‎5/‎31/‎2017 was unexpected."

System
Win 10 Pro X64 Creativity Update and current patches
MSI B150M Mortar Arctic
32G Ram
XFX GTR RX480 BE
950 Pro M.2 256
6TB Seagate Enterprise media storage drive

Drivers are updated for everything current but the GPU. I'm running a more stable and newest WHQL driver for the GPU although my damn windows keep resizing smaller after I power on my monitor after it sits over night or while I'm gone during the day. Annoying as hell. This didn't used to be a problem but has become one recently. 17.2.1 is the version I'm on.

UPDATE!!!!!

Well Z270G fresh format and reinstall of windows 10 pro x64 fully updated, new ram, updated drivers and still after oh 24hrs or so of running I crash out the same way. I'm wondering if my 950 Pro is failing from these event notices attached.

Attachments

• crash.rar
    2.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
You didn't mention if you were overclocking anything. If you are, stop. Put everything to default and test. Also, can you monitor your temps?

Reactions: scgt1
like this
You didn't mention if you were overclocking anything. If you are, stop. Put everything to default and test. Also, can you monitor your temps?

Didn't mention because I'm not. ;-) The B150M really doesn't allow overclocking so the only thing I could overclock would be the GPU which is plenty good at stock clocks. Only thing different with it is a custom afterburner fan profile so it is constantly flowing some air since my 950 Pro (currently 47C idle) is located under the GPU. Temps are 42-47C on GPU (Unsure on what temps it runs with the AC on as we haven't turned it on yet still have windows open) and 26-32C on 6600K. (Live in DFW and have windows open with AC on it's 19-24C) So not a heat problem.

Boot into safemode, run Display Driver uninstaller, it will also disable the driver updates through Windows update, and then install the 17.5.2 drivers. Hope that this helps. :)

Boot into safemode, run Display Driver uninstaller, it will also disable the driver updates through Windows update, and then install the 17.5.2 drivers. Hope that this helps. :)
FYI Booting into safe mode isn't necessary DDU will do that for you. Why do you recommend the newest non WHQL drivers? I've had nothing but varying issues out of any drivers after the 17.5.2 that are non WHQL. Maybe it's just my use and the fact I have a 65" 4K set connected in my living room on a 75' redemere cable for media streaming. But I get bad ghosting/lag problems with my mouse on the newer drivers along with them moving my desktop icons all over the place after powering my monitor back on. Also had the window resizing problems out of each one but that is a moot point now since it has now become an issue with the trusted and true drivers I've been using for the past several months also. :-(

What's the Event Viewer saying? Any big ol' red exclamation points when looking at the 'Windows Logs' after this happens?

like this
What's the Event Viewer saying? Any big ol' red exclamation points when looking at the 'Windows Logs' after this happens?
Funny you ask this. I came inside a bit ago and heard my cell phone tone that it was connected to my computer just as I walked in the front door. I was greeted with the Windows welcome screen so the computer just rebooted on it's own. I had a chance real quick to check the reliability report to see the following hardware error:

8:27am
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 141
Parameter 1: ffffd30005a31010
Parameter 2: fffff801208af3dc
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 4
OS version: 10_0_15063
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
OS Version: 10.0.15063.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

What ever any of that means.

I had to get my disable fiance up and ready so wasn't able to check further. Was just checking the event viewer and about to post the following but checked my email and noticed your reply lol:
This was the same time as the above was reported.
Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Then I also have the following reported at 9:37am:

Error
The previous system shutdown at 9:00:08 AM on ‎5/‎31/‎2017 was unexpected.

Critical:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Warning:
The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device USB\VID_19D2&PID_0307\b51a196c.

Error:
The CldFlt service failed to start due to the following error:
The request is not supported.

Error:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000001a (0x0000000000041793, 0xfffff30000069ff8, 0x0000000000000108, 0x0000000000000107). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: cff891c5-609a-4b26-933a-4b3f29ae6021.

Error:
The Peer Name Resolution Protocol cloud did not start because the creation of the default identity failed with error code: 0x80630203.

Error:
The PNRPsvc service terminated with the following error:
Unable to access a key.

Error:
The p2psvc service depends on the PNRPsvc service which failed to start because of the following error:
Unable to access a key.

Warning:
The program lsass.exe, with the assigned process ID 756, could not authenticate locally by using the target name host/. The target name used is not valid. A target name should refer to one of the local computer names, for example, the DNS host name.
Try a different target name.

Error:
A timeout (60000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the Intel(R) Online Connect Helper service.

Bug check looks like ram maybe.

Start poking around those errors... though Windows telling you it may be a hardware problem is a good place to start. Snag gpuz and cpuz to eyeball temps. Your videocard may be overheating.. there's a stress test app as well.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Barring that, or more information on the error dumps/etc, start searching for the error messages. Typically folks have ran into issues and there is help..

Example:
https://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/268212-driver-driver-wudfrd-failed-load-device-error.html
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ot-start/bb56ec18-1608-49ce-b444-19a3dc8d035b

like this
Start poking around those errors... though Windows telling you it may be a hardware problem is a good place to start. Snag gpuz and cpuz to eyeball temps. Your videocard may be overheating.. there's a stress test app as well.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Barring that, or more information on the error dumps/etc, start searching for the error messages. Typically folks have ran into issues and there is help..

Example:
https://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/268212-driver-driver-wudfrd-failed-load-device-error.html
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ot-start/bb56ec18-1608-49ce-b444-19a3dc8d035b

Thanks for the info. It isn't a temp issue as stated above with my temps.

Can't check anything else right now as it's tied up running the Windows memory diag as pictured. Which also states hardware problems were detected.

Attachments

• tmp_19152-IMG_20170531_1031101612074628.jpg
    tmp_19152-IMG_20170531_1031101612074628.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 64
Sure.. but it doesn't hurt to monitor them under a controlled situation.. but do what you will.

Sure.. but it doesn't hurt to monitor them under a controlled situation.. but do what you will.
If you mean while running stress tests then yes my temps are fine. Didn't use furmark but used Timespy.

Also have Gpuz, cpuz, cam, realtemp, and Riva tuner all reporting same temps +- of course with the coding differences in the programs.

Well so much for actually giving me details once the computer reboots from the test. I just had a warning window that says I have memory problems and to contact the manufacturer. LOL Is there a memtest86 that works off usb stick? I have an old copy that runs on cd but no drive. Need to test stick by stick to see which ones are bad. I hate Crucial ram. Swore I would never get their ram again after all the failed Ballistix Tracer 6400 ram sticks I had. Went with them again because of the Ballistix Sport LT white camo sticks to match my arctic build. Should have went with the plain white Corsair ram instead. :-(

Ordered on 8/18/16 from Newegg and has never been overclocked (board doesn't allow it) or had timings changed. I get ram can fail but.... yea their track record with me......and they take so freaking long too. UGH.

Listen, skip all that other shit and just redo your OS install.

1 - DO NOT use your motherboard drivers install disk. Use Driver Booster. It's free and will get you the latest drivers for your system. And no it does not do any stealth installs of malware. Pay attention however as if you click thru like most a-holes you will install a few BS programs.

2 - Update windows.

3 - Get your system completely updated.

4 - Then do this, go to Ninite.com and grab everything that you use or want to try out. Make sure you grab VLC and K-Lite Codecs. You don't need anything else for your media needs.

5 - For music grab Winamp or AIMP. Please do not tell me you use anything else ...

6 - Then as your final step BEFORE you install any games and after you've made all your OS tweaks, Image your system.

With a fast PC, SSD and internet connection, this entire process will literally take 30 minutes or less, including making the image. There is a very slight SLIGHT learning curve to Macrium Reflect. My 12 year old daughter figured it out years ago in one go. Are you 12 or older? Yes? Continue.

Use Macrium Reflect Free to image your system.

Now ..... use your system, throw music at it, movies, stream, etc etc. Make sure you throw a reboot at the system as well before using it.

If you still have lockups take your motherboard back to Microcenter. Oh, you don't have a Microcenter near you? You're probably fcked one way or another in additional time and maybe money.

It's for this very reason I only deal with motherboards and videos cards locally.

Good luck.

BTW, the first 6 steps if followed will eliminate the few hours of trouble shooting ( most likely ) people have suggested.

If you still have lockups on a clean install as suggested you could try the following things.

Take out the memory and rearrange it making sure it's seated correctly.

I've built hundreds of systems over the past 27 years. Guess how much bad memory I've ran into? 1 case. Possible but very doubtful. Why your at it, make sure the memory has the proper voltage settings. It should fine but I've seen this wrong in the bios a handful of times. It's safe to run any memory at 1.65 FYI. This is mostly a process of elimination procedure and needs to e changed to auto once you've crossed that off your trouble shooting list.

For future reference, never race to build your system and always discharge yourself throughout the build. You can do this simply buy touching any two random different pieces of metal around you. Takes a second. This is important and it clears your brain of thinking if you fcked something up during the build.

Well 141 is a video timeout error. So I would start by using a ATI driver uninstall program to ensure all vestiges of the old driver are gone. I would then install the newest ATI driver and see if anything changes.

If not I would remove the GPU and ensure the heatsink is properly seated and their isn't any dmg. From the thermals you posted it seems like that shouldn't be the issue. Still I would take at good look at the card to ensure nothing is off.

There is also the very real possibility that your GPU is the issue and its not software related. If after performing a Driver change out and the card looks to be fine physically. I would suggest putting a Linux distro you know works (if you have ever ran it) and boot it from a USB stick. If it is the card you should end up having issues with Linux as well.... if everything seems to run fine. Then something has gone odd with something software wise, and I would backup what you need and reinstall windows. Cause tracking software issues past the driver is likely more a pita then its worth.

If it does turn out that your GPU is messed up... (if Linux likewise crashes and has odd timeout issues you can say its the card). Then you would likely be looking at dealing with the MFG if you can. If its older and past any protection from them.... you can always give it a bake. (seriously don't go there unless the card is a complete right off... but GPUs tend to have lots of delicate soldered bits and as crazy as it sounds I have saved a few old GPUs with an old oven... again do not go that route unless you are 100% sure its the issue and you have no other remedy)

Looks like you have at least one stick of bad RAM. Have you had thunderboomers in your area recently?
Yep and just one. Finally finished the scan on the 4th a few minutes ago so running two sticks right now. :-/ I'm sure 16GB is plenty lol Now to deal with Crucial again. There is a reason I wrote them off 7-8 years ago. Time to see if they have changed how they handle things I guess.
Either memtest has become much more advanced since the version I have on cd or this stick of ram is really screwed. I've only had maybe sub 10 errors on ram sticks before this is nuts if there isn't anything different in how the program works/reports.
jBPTmNe.jpg

yJvHhF8.jpg

R52iAPj.jpg

Yep and just one. Finally finished the scan on the 4th a few minutes ago so running two sticks right now. :-/ I'm sure 16GB is plenty lol Now to deal with Crucial again. There is a reason I wrote them off 7-8 years ago. Time to see if they have changed how they handle things I guess.
Either memtest has become much more advanced since the version I have on cd or this stick of ram is really screwed. I've only had maybe sub 10 errors on ram sticks before this is nuts if there isn't anything different in how the program works/reports.
jBPTmNe.jpg

yJvHhF8.jpg

R52iAPj.jpg

Crucial shouldn't play "hardball" just tell them what Memtest found and send them the screenshot. Please post back and let us know how it goes.

like this
jBPTmNe.jpg

yJvHhF8.jpg

R52iAPj.jpg

Is your computer running fine with the good stick of ram installed? Is the problem resolved?

like this
Crucial shouldn't play "hardball" just tell them what Memtest found and send them the screenshot. Please post back and let us know how it goes.

Yea well I've had my times with them like I mentioned along with plenty of other people in the old 6400 days. Which was when all the good micron chips were in shortage.

Is your computer running fine with the good stick of ram installed? Is the problem resolved?

Running two sticks but so far so good. Although the issues were random again so who knows. Funny how I've played BF1 DX12 on Ultra and never had an issue with it locking to a white screen and the sound being stuck but with playing media that is a whole different story. You would think BF1 would tax the ram much more then say a small window of Media Center Classic or JRiver Media Center streaming to my 65" or for that matter encoding a media file for dvd. lol Oh well.

Waiting for chat to open at Crucial since the number I punch in for the warranty only shows 1 stick and I would prefer to just warranty them all so I have a matching set in return. Would also like to try and do advanced RMA like I have in the past so I can stay up and running while they send the replacements. I use this computer for finances and doing my timesheets so I get paid also not just daily use and media so I need it up and running.

Worst case I pull 16GB of my Trident Z out of my game rig I guess.

Well 37 min in on the chat. Still working on the rma. Going to be getting advanced replacement but have to call in to give debit card info (you know for in case I don't return the bad set). This process has been painless so far but god it shouldn't take this long to type some stuff into a system.

39 min in Jonathan says first half is done. OMG

Listen, skip all that other shit and just redo your OS install.

1 - DO NOT use your motherboard drivers install disk. Use Driver Booster. It's free and will get you the latest drivers for your system. And no it does not do any stealth installs of malware. Pay attention however as if you click thru like most a-holes you will install a few BS programs.

LOL you're funny. First rule of thumb on using windows: Never EVER install free third party apps, especially ones that promise to 'boost your drivers'. You know, that harmless little app that doesn't install spy/adware. If you're really careful of what you click during install that is. Completely harmless.

And winamp + free codec packs? Really? LOL! Winamp is 90's stuff and codec packs are the most sure way to pork your system.

I'm sorry but I disagree with your instructions.

LOL you're funny. First rule of thumb on using windows: Never EVER install free third party apps, especially ones that promise to 'boost your drivers'. You know, that harmless little app that doesn't install spy/adware. If you're really careful of what you click during install that is. Completely harmless.

And winamp + free codec packs? Really? LOL! Winamp is 90's stuff and codec packs are the most sure way to pork your system.

I'm sorry but I disagree with your instructions.
LOL I wasn't going to comment on their post but I did almost fall out of my Secret Lab Titan chair when I read it. Hmmm spend a whole day reloading the computer that was just reloaded 3 weeks prior to find I'm back at square one with the same problem and probably much more with following those instructions. Nah how about actually testing the ram that the error reporter is stating is bad for half the day. Then RMA ram and be done with the issues.

Anyway 58 minutes later I told Jonathan to jump in a creek with their advanced replacement. Never in this industry have I heard of a mainstream company billing first then refunding later. They always just keep your payment info on file should you not return the defective product to them. This isn't the format they followed some 7-8 years back but it sure is the way they handle it now. So for ram I paid $109 for in August I would have been billed $293.75 for to do an advanced replacement on. F U! I'll steal 16GB of TridentZ from my game rig to keep it up until the replacement ram comes in or for that matter drive 9 minutes to frys and pick up a $32 stick of throw away 4GB ram. $300 bucks EAT ME! lol

LOL I wasn't going to comment on their post but I did almost fall out of my Secret Lab Titan chair when I read it. Hmmm spend a whole day reloading the computer that was just reloaded 3 weeks prior to find I'm back at square one with the same problem and probably much more with following those instructions. Nah how about actually testing the ram that the error reporter is stating is bad for half the day. Then RMA ram and be done with the issues.

Anyway 58 minutes later I told Jonathan to jump in a creek with their advanced replacement. Never in this industry have I heard of a mainstream company billing first then refunding later. They always just keep your payment info on file should you not return the defective product to them. This isn't the format they followed some 7-8 years back but it sure is the way they handle it now. So for ram I paid $109 for in August I would have been billed $293.75 for to do an advanced replacement on. F U! I'll steal 16GB of TridentZ from my game rig to keep it up until the replacement ram comes in or for that matter drive 9 minutes to frys and pick up a $32 stick of throw away 4GB ram. $300 bucks EAT ME! lol
This also gives you the opportunity to determine if RAM is the sole cause, or not. :D

like this
This also gives you the opportunity to determine if RAM is the sole cause, or not. :D
So far so good but haven't played any media yet. Been sitting around outside before it gets hot. LOL Been running the Trident's through memtest also. The two that are in my daily tested good so if there is still a problem then it's more then just the ram. Just started the last stick of TridentZ on Memtest so I'll know if that whole kit is good in about an hour or two. I have had the game rig hang every now and then before it posts to the monitor on code 55 with is a ram issue according to the manual but haven't had the issue after I went back in and turned off XMP then reapplied it. So who knows. This last test will tell me if it was just some fluke thing or not on the game rig.

Sounds like you have a plan that should see you through. :)

Yea well wasn't just the ram. Since I tested all 4 sticks of my Trident and have two of them in my daily while the Crucial is in the mail. It locked to a gray screen in the living room and white screen in the office again with the stuck sound. This was while streaming a tv show. I guess it's time to pull out the psu tester since there wasn't any notices in event viewer or the reliability checker other then the fact windows wasn't shut down properly. :-(

If the psu tests out I guess the RX480 is coming out and I go back to onboard to see if it is the gpu causing it.

Yea well wasn't just the ram. Since I tested all 4 sticks of my Trident and have two of them in my daily while the Crucial is in the mail. It locked to a gray screen in the living room and white screen in the office again with the stuck sound. This was while streaming a tv show. I guess it's time to pull out the psu tester since there wasn't any notices in event viewer or the reliability checker other then the fact windows wasn't shut down properly. :-(

If the psu tests out I guess the RX480 is coming out and I go back to onboard to see if it is the gpu causing it.

It could be also the motherboard. I wouldn't want to be you right now...

like this
It could be also the motherboard. I wouldn't want to be you right now...
Yea and actually knowing if that is it.......... Which reminds me I need to run Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool to rule out the cpu........ And it passed just fine.

Would suck if that's it MSI service blows which I found out when I first installed one of these and their bios flash borked the board. They have some of the dumbest cs people I've ever seen.

Well forgot that the PSU tester I have is old school and only has floppy, sata, molex, 4 pin, and 20 pin mobo so I connected the EVGA 450B I picked up for like $10 AMIR for a backup psu and bench setups. If the problem goes away I would have to assume it's the EVGA Supernova 750 that is causing the hard locks with stuck audio gray/white screens and I just happened to also find out I had a failing stick of ram in the process I guess. LOL

I didn't want to jack my cable routing up so I still have the 750 installed just unhooked from everything and the 450B is sitting on top of my Air 240 with the main cables running into the side window space and the drive etc cables running into the 3.5 access in the back of the case. LOL Frankencomputer. As long as I don't game right now (which wasn't causing the hard locks anyway I should be ok with the 450B since using the psu calculator 394watts is what is says for my setup.

Last edited:
Good luck with it! Troubleshooting is sometimes like following a trail of bread crumbs after a birds has passed by. :D

like this
Good luck with it! Troubleshooting is sometimes like following a trail of bread crumbs after a birds has passed by. :D
Ah yes I haven't had to delve (sp) this far into troubleshooting in a very very long time. It's always just been something simple like a crashed/bad driver or ram. I was so stoked when the error report/reliability tool (don't remember which it was) reported the stop code so I finally had something to follow. Then found out 1 of the 4 sticks were bad. Ok this will be done finally. NOPE! I will say so far it's streaming a 2:45 min movie just fine to my living room tv while I've been in the office doing things on it. But it was on all day yesterday then we started watching shows last night in the living room on it. So It may take a few movies or a few days at it to see if it hard locks again. If not then it was in fact the psu. I should dig up the receipt to make sure it's still covered by the 10 year warranty with EVGA or I should start looking for a different one now so I know which one to get if it does seem fine after a couple days like this as Frankencomputer.

Ah yes I haven't had to delve (sp) this far into troubleshooting in a very very long time. It's always just been something simple like a crashed/bad driver or ram. I was so stoked when the error report/reliability tool (don't remember which it was) reported the stop code so I finally had something to follow. Then found out 1 of the 4 sticks were bad. Ok this will be done finally. NOPE! I will say so far it's streaming a 2:45 min movie just fine to my living room tv while I've been in the office doing things on it. But it was on all day yesterday then we started watching shows last night in the living room on it. So It may take a few movies or a few days at it to see if it hard locks again. If not then it was in fact the psu. I should dig up the receipt to make sure it's still covered by the 10 year warranty with EVGA or I should start looking for a different one now so I know which one to get if it does seem fine after a couple days like this as Frankencomputer.

It's a process and journey! :D

like this
ive never had them redo my machine by any means theyve just fixed whatever issue ive had

It's a process and journey! :D
Right. lol So far so good on the 450B psu. I've had it streaming movies and shows all day to the living room tv since I put it in or I should say on since it's on top of my case lol.

ive never had them redo my machine by any means theyve just fixed whatever issue ive had

Well 3 times is too many for me.

Back