Fix temps/stable OC, 2600k/H70/Maximus IV

Chris583

Limp Gawd
I don't know if I have a really crap batch of CPU or if I need to reseat my cooler (done once already a year ago), but for a long time I was stable @ 4.2ghz/1600mhz RAM. When I've been stable in the past coretemp would report something like 40-50C idle, 70-80C load I believe still much higher then normal. I will probably try reseating the H70 cooler today which I've had a horrible experience with. I RMA'd the first one a few years back, and the second one has also been performing poorly.

I would appreciate it if anyone could guide me to a stable 4.2ghz OC or even the possibility if I can ever achieve a stable 4.5/4.6ghz OC and beyond. I'd idle at really high temps and under full load Prime95 tests if I didn't freeze up right away coretemp would report 97-98C.

Currently deciding what to do next, on Auto 4.2ghz CoreTemp VID-1.3611 , CPU-Z core voltage 1.296-1.304 , 55-60C idle temp

Under Prime95 test I see CPU speed throttling down as it approaches 98C all the way to 1500mhz. Seems like a safety to prevent temps from exceeding 98C. In my past stable 4.2 OC I had disabled speedstep. But the high temps are worrying me and don't make sense.

Last edited:
i can run 2600k,2700k at 5ghz around 1.45vcore under my h70 after hours of gaming under 80c.

I would say you may have a variety of issues going on that could be affecting your performance. You should even be able to run up to 4.5ghz at STOCK vcore potentially which would give you loads in the low 60s at most. I believe that asus bios has an 'auto tuner' option. I would reset everything to default and give that a run. It should adjust some baseline settings to get you back on track. If you don't want to do that, do the following:

Reset everything to default.
Set Vcore to 1.35
Set Multiplier to 45

That's really all you need to do this generation.

Report back with some temps if you can.

I just reseated the H70 cooler and now I see good temps with the H70!
With 4.5ghz I'm idle at 28-30C and full Prime load is showing 60-65C.
I've followed your advice and set 45 turbo on each core, 1.35v core , 1.5v dram , dram timings, and thats it everything else auto.
It was stable with some 10minute prime testing and gaming. I have noticed if I'm afk for a long time it seems to freeze on idle, and can't wake up the screen. I've also had it freeze several times in games but that may of been due to high GPU temps with OC'd 7950. I've been using a custom fan curve profile to improve GPU temps.

I could probably push this to 4.8-5ghz sometime in the future.

Last edited:
i can run 2600k,2700k at 5ghz around 1.45vcore under my h70 after hours of gaming under 80c.

I would say you may have a variety of issues going on that could be affecting your performance. You should even be able to run up to 4.5ghz at STOCK vcore potentially which would give you loads in the low 60s at most. I believe that asus bios has an 'auto tuner' option. I would reset everything to default and give that a run. It should adjust some baseline settings to get you back on track. If you don't want to do that, do the following:

Reset everything to default.
Set Vcore to 1.35
Set Multiplier to 45

That's really all you need to do this generation.

Report back with some temps if you can.

So how did you hit 5ghz with H70 cooler? I just tried default settings, VCORE 1.45, 50x, and although I can get into windows, I freeze the second I run Prime. Any explanation for your other bios settings would be helpful. Internal PLL Overvoltage/Xtreme Tweaking enabled? Xtreme OV? I assume I may have to tweak a number of settings to achieve stable 5ghz.

Last edited:
It really depends on your individual cpu weather or not you will be able to get 5GHz stable with reasonable temps and voltages. My 2500k can do 5GHz but takes just over 1.5V to get stable (definitely not safe 24/7).
Is the freezing on idle after the computer has gone to sleep? If so then this is because internal PLL overvoltage is set to auto or enabled. If it is freezing in games then it is likely that the cpu is not stable.

Try these settings for 4.5GHz:
Multiplier to 45
Internal PLL overvoltage disabled
Vcore to 1.35V
Vrm frequency to 350MHz (will probably have little effect at this cpu frequency but supposed to be the best for overclocking)
CPU current capability to 140%
Set ram to stock speed, timings and voltage
Reduce cpu PLL voltage to 1.6V

Now for load line calibration, try setting it to high, boot into windows and start cpu-z and prime95. Check what voltage cpu-z is displaying under load. If it is below 1.35V then go back into bios and increase llc to very high. If it is spiking above 1.35V regularly, reduce llc.

I haven't been able to run Prime past 4.6/4.7/5 ghz without it freezing.

I just tried your settings and appears STABLE and CPU-Z reports 1.336v mostly also saw 1.344v, 1.352, 1.36v etc for some of the tests. Core Temp reports 1.37-1.4011 VID
Under 100% load during 10 min RealTemp/Prime95 test I see up to 70C temps which is fine.
I can manually sleep computer and restore just fine, power options are set to never go to sleep and screen turn off after 15 minutes. When I couldn't restore computer after Idle I would return to see PC on but couldn't restore screen. So maybe it froze while I was away so screen wouldn't turn back on. May of had something to do with C1E etc. states which I had enabled, but now off.

In my bios I have many DIGI+ Power Control options mostly left to auto.

VCORE PWM MODE - Extreme
VCORE Load-Line Calibration - Auto/0/25/50/75/100% -currently on Auto, doesn't say High, but 50% = Suitable for 4.2g-4.8g, 75% 4.8-5.2, 100% 5.2-6G) Thoughts?
VRM Fixed Frequency Mode - 350
Vcore Phase Control - Extreme
Vcore Over-Current Protection @ 140%

I'm running IntelBurnTest v2.54 (AgentGod) now reporting 101-102 GFlops.

Last edited:
It may need quite a large voltage bump for 4.6/4.7GHz, my 2500k need approx 1.32V for 4.5 but needs about 1.39V for 4.6 (not worth it imo).
10 minutes of prime (blend test I assume) can't really give any indication of stability but it's good it's not freezing instantly. To give a quick indication of stability it may be worth running custom prime95 small ffts. Set both min an max fft size to 1344, test for between 20 and 30 minutes then repeat with fft sizes 1792 and 2688. These are supposed to be the most stressful fft sizes for sandy bridge cpus. If it passes all three fft sizes then run a custom blend test using 80 to 90% of available ram for at least 12 hours (24 would be better). Playing games (as you have been) can also be one of the best stability tests.
Also please could you post any bsod codes you get, they can give an indication of which voltage needs raising (or lowering in a few cases).
I would recommend setting the 7950 back to stock just to rule it out while stress testing the cpu in games.

Your bios settings seem fine, I would start with 50% llc (that's the equivalent of high, it's just named differently on different boards).

Just noticed you're running ibt, I would set it to custom and use 80-90% of available ram (same as prime). Also right click on the ibt start button and tick xtreme stress mode. Temps will probably be a bit higher but don't worry if they hit mid to high 70's.
It should be fine to leave C1E enabled and C states on auto while you are using manual voltage. If you use offset then leave C1E on but disable C states as they will cause idle bsods and freezes.

Testing for stability @ 4.5ghz 1.35v 75% LLC 1.6 CPU PLL, Power Saving

-Prime Custom tests
-Intel Burn tests

Passed all first Prime tests before custom memory with max temp of 60C.

Last edited:
can you describe exactly how you reseated the cpu cooler? I have the same cooler and cpu and am suffering from the high temps that u first got. what did u exactly do? also how did u apply the thermal paste? thanks!

Sure. So the second time i reseated (recently) I left the same thermal paste that was there before. I was going to clear off the paste with AS cleaner and apply AS5 but I remember reading that the included paste was better. I can't remember if it was the first time I reseated I left the original included paste or AS5, but I figured start with the least work and see if things improve. I fully removed the bracket and the cpu, put the cpu back in, then secured the bracket back down with the shitty screw pin holders. Tightened them just enough for them to not pop out when upward pressure was applied. Then pushed the cooler back down on the cpu below the bracket. Rotated as far as possible and underneath the corresponding bracket holders. As I held the cooler in place with one hand I tightened the screws one by one in a diagonal orientation. Then tightened as much as I could until I felt some resistance and continued some more until I could tell the cooler was firmly and evenly secured on all sides and the turning resistance would not budge without excessive force. The paste was kind of dried when I reseated but it looked consistent and in a square shape. Don't reapply paste unless you absolutely have to. When I booted up I was amazed that my temps dropped like 20C. You gotta make sure the cooler is on there tight enough in the rotation under the bracket and also that the bracket screws are tight and secure. I ended up reversing the cooler reservoir. I had been having the tubes at the bottom position inside a verticle standing case. Now they are inverted coming from the top of the case. With my case window you can't really even see the tubes in this position. One last thing to note is the text Corsair on the cooler is slightly offset for me, could probably have it all the way horizontal but I don't mind and didn't want to adjust it once it was working. I also made sure the fans were push/pull bringing in cool air out the back. The first time I reseated I reversed the fans so they would pull out hot air. But bringing cooler air works better, and my case has 2x 140mm top fans to take out hot air. I just replaced the stock corsair fans. Got 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX but in my case the round 140mm fan (with 120mm adapter) would not fit at the back of the case above the IO plate. So I have a white led 120mm fan that came with a dark knight cooler on the rear, and one Noctua closest to the cpu. I'm using the 2nd Noctua as an intake fan on the front of my case. These fans are expensive but provide the best performance and least noise. If your case can fit 2x Noctua on the H70 even better!

Here's how it turned out.
ZNS77LKl.jpg

P5ihDchl.jpg

Let me know how it goes and if you still have any issues!

Last edited:
Wow I must have a great 2600k overclocker, I'm running the Same Motherboard with some no name heat sink and fan and I run my 2600k at 4800 MHz at 1.30 volts 24/7 ,Load temps range from 60 to 65 at their highest. I have benchmarked at 5000 MHz at 1.45 volts temps in the high 60s to low 70s. I haven't messed with any other settings in the Bios other then the voltage. I'm also running 3 7970s in TriFire with a Corsair 1200 watt Ps

Wow I must have a great 2600k overclocker, I'm running the Same Motherboard with some no name heat sink and fan and I run my 2600k at 4800 MHz at 1.30 volts 24/7 ,Load temps range from 60 to 65 at their highest. I have benchmarked at 5000 MHz at 1.45 volts temps in the high 60s to low 70s. I haven't messed with any other settings in the Bios other then the voltage. I'm also running 3 7970s in TriFire with a Corsair 1200 watt Ps

u have also to mention your roomtemp and case model that affect a lot.. specially in the 5ghz@low 70s.. that can be possible air cooled, but with really high-end air big bulky coolers.. in low roomtemp with a case with amazing airflow.. I run a 2600 "non k" turbo 4.2ghz stock voltage at 56-58° with H70 thats why I think ur no name heatsink and fan should be a big bulky high-end air cooler..

Here is the Cooler from newegg that im using $32 COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520 with some artic silver, My room temp is about 75 degrees ATM, I have 4 case fans blowing as well but my 3 7970s keep the inside a little toasty ( they run in the 80C range playing games )

What settings do you have in BIOS for 4.8 stable at 1.3v? Also what case/other cooling? PSU? Other system specs?
You must have one of the best batch 2600k and rock solid performance synergy.

That temps are simply amazing!!... On a simple 32$ cooler that temps are hardly handed even for noctua, thermalright, thermaltake big bulky coolers... I have to say.. A great Overclocker 2600k u have...

Back