Fix for Vista MCE/ Hauppauge tuner cards on PC's with 4gb Ram?

vanilla_guerilla

Supreme [H]ardness
Fix for Vista 64 MCE/ Hauppauge tuner cards on PC's with 4gb Ram?

there is still nothing on hauppauge site. i was wondering if there was a registry hack or something. i use my gaming pc as a pvr and this 2gb limit (for tuner to work) is kind of a pain in the ass.

No and don't expect one. Hauppauge takes forever to get even small bugs worked out and in this case your talking about a bug that affects only 64bit OS users who have over 2 gigs of memory which equals no one that Hauppauge really cares about because this is a problem that affects, like, 1% of PC users.

So yeah, get a non Hauppauge tuner and move on.

well ok then. is there a decent pci combo tuner for under $100? and is this definitely a hauppauge only prob? it affects my pvr150 mce and also my hvr-1600. as for hauppauge, more and more folks runing 64 bit vista, also more using 4gb now that they are giving away ddr2.

well thanx a lot, it worked. only a few days old, too. now i just have to figure out why my pvr150 mce does the same goddam thing.

:eek: Well, shit. I guess Hauppauge finally got around to fixing it.

But don't count on getting the PVR150 to work; those have been long enough with a 64bit OS and they still haven't decided to get them working.

ATI on the other hand has their 650 based tuners working fine and dandy in Vista 64 and the image quality from them is excellent. Go on Newegg and pick up the Sapphire 650 tuner for under $70 (I got mine for something like $60 shipped).

I have the Hauppauge PVR1800 will I have problem when I upgrade to 64bit Vista also?

no problems here with my 1800 and 4 gigs with Vista Ultimate, but I dont use it very often.

the 1800 does have more features btw,

OMG! That's what did it! I thought my card was just busted or something....this has been plaguing me for ages. and now I just stumble upon the solution. Thanks a million!

ATI on the other hand has their 650 based tuners working fine and dandy in Vista 64 and the image quality from them is excellent. Go on Newegg and pick up the Sapphire 650 tuner for under $70 (I got mine for something like $60 shipped).

I second this. I have a sapphire 650 card, the quality is Excellent. Even with crappy basic analog cable, there's no noise on any channels. It also picks up some of the OTA HD channels around here, but I need to invest in a better antenna. I'm still on XP with the godawful horrible CyberLink software, but i made sure it was Vista x64 compatible before I bought it. Now i just need $100 for some home premium media center goodness..

wow.. now my card is working, without removememory and without green/black screen. thank you!

but i have a new problem now: it's damn laggy. Has anyone got a solution for that?

memory: 1.67/4gb in use CPU: 12%

OMG! That's what did it! I thought my card was just busted or something....this has been plaguing me for ages. and now I just stumble upon the solution. Thanks a million!

Well.....forget that, it's the same for me. Laggy as hell, bouncing to a green screen every once and a while

I have absolutely no idea if this actually works or not, but it seems to have for me so here goes:

Open up msconfig --> boot tab --> advanced options --> set maximum memory a little lower than the full 4GB amount ( I was able to drop it just a tick ..4095 ). Of course this is really only for those with 4GB as there will not be a performance difference. Those with +4GB will have to wait for driver/bug fixes.

Let me know if this works, like I said, I was having tons of problems and it seems like this works.

E6600 @ 3Ghz
965P-DS3
4GB
8800GT
PVR-500 MCE

Back