Five Tech Industry Predictions for 2012

1: Nope, people are too addicted to "social" sites

2: There's a current IPO bubble? I think Zynga kind of showed there isn't.

3: Doubt it, if some company did manage to get a sub $100 tablet it probably won't be half as nice as something like the Kindle. Besides I'm sure Apple will trump everything with the iPad 3 which introduces 64 GB more of space!!! WiFi/128GB version will retail for $1099. Sheeple will flock, old iPads will be on sale at craigslist

4: How long has voice recognition been out there with cell phones? "Dial Bob" .. yeah I guess because the iPhone now has it it'll be big! Unfortunately I thought (still do) people wearing those blue tooth headsets looking like an extra from a sci-fi movie would never catch on because people look so fucking retarded with them... apparently I was wrong there... well with the people wouldn't wear them part, people still do look retarded as all hell with them.

5: I hope not, I can't see cloud being useful for anything more than general documents that companies don't give a shit if it gets leaked to everywhere... so you know like everyone's personal information, credit card, etc.

My crystal ball which is as good as theres, says BULL to all five.

On 3: But a $100 tablet will be enough for people to determine if they actually need a (better) tablet. My guess is that a lot will sell, and most of these users will realize it's pretty much useless and will not feel obligated to use or defend them since they didn't ruin themselves to get them.

On 4: I make absolutely no distinction between people talking to themselves and people talking on the phone with a headset. I encounter both types regularly.

1. I believe that social media is going down hill, but only because people can't stand each other. When a person you know shares something you don't agree with or find stupid, you'll begin to shun them. Eventually causing a chaotic mess with everyone. Driving you away from social networks.

This has more with accepting people for who they are, then the social network itself. Eventually people will, and social networking will pick up.

2. Nobody really cares about any of that.

3. This I can see, but to a degree. Tablets are too expensive at $500+, but around $100 would be perfect. Tablets are toys, and not to be taken as serious computing. As a toy it shouldn't cost much, and for around $100 it makes sense. Though I expect people to begin losing interest in these devices, if they haven't already. After all, tablets don't really do much.

4. Voice recognition goes mainstream, until people realize how stupid you sound talking to your phone. Though honestly, there's a lot of untapped market here, if someone can build it right. I don't consider Siri to be what I'd want. There has to be a way to change the voice you hear, and how that voice is handled. You know, KITT from Knight Rider, or GlaDOS from Portal. People would go crazy for a custom voice.

5. I doubt consumers would want something "CLOUD", if they really knew what it was. It's good to some degree, but really bad in another. Though cloud computing will be introduced without the users even knowing it's there, as it'll just be part of a service or software application.

1 - Social media will continue to grow in 2012. With Google and others integrating social media into smarthphones even more users are joining daily.
2 - There is no IPO bubble, we have already seen companies go public flop from day 1 so there is no bubble to pop.
3 - I am sure we will see some 199-299 tablets with Android, but that does not mean it will push the market price downward. It will just introduce more people to the tablet who would not be able to afford an iPad or higher end Android tablet.
4 - Voice recongition has been mainstream for years, Apple just brought it a cellphone which dominates the market, nothing new here.
5 - Cloud based systems are growing but how much for the general public? It took awhile just to get people to save & upload pictures to cloud based photo websites. Now you want them to do it for everything, not yet.

Social media isn't going anywhere. If people stop using Facebook, that would be because they've found something more obnoxious than Facebook :D

Social media sites may change, but social media itself is here to stay.

Back