Five Reasons to Stay Off Google+ For Now

HardOCP News

[H] News
Just great, this article comes out AFTER we've all been sucked into the Google+ machine!

I like Google+ a lot. But, it’s having major teething problems. Unless you’re ready to deal with those, I’d avoid this social network for now. I think Google+ may just turn out to be the best social network of them all. I also think though that Google+ has a lot of headaches currently.

Pretty much all these reasons apply to Facebook. And I agree, you should stay off from Facebook too. I just don't think the author realizes it.

I'm with pankkake, how does this differ from any other social networking site?

3) Real Names

How comfortable are you with having your real name, or the name you commonly go by online anyway, being permanently attached to your Google Plus account?
If you value you anonymity; if you like keeping a firewall between your real identity and the one you use online, Google+ is probably not going to be for you.

When Google asked for someone's ID to confirm their real name, I canceled my account right after that.
Then I was criticized by someone here about this, saying I'm supposed to use my real name and I should never use social networking again by leaving G+.
Some people, like myself, have important roles that involve maintaining a spotless reputation. Any link to me acting a fool under my real name on a social network, wouldn't be good for my career.

It's a "social" network to have fun, and I should be able to choose to use my real name or nickname.

Google+ will most likely become the next Facebook in a couple years. I don't like the idea of Google having everyone's personal information at their fingertips though.

this article is full of BS
he only complains that it isn't perfect (which facebook is far from)
and that you can't lie about who you are...

the whole point of social networking is to connect with people you know... why hide from people using fake names? if you dont want someone to see what you post, google created circles for a reason...

and of course it's beta, meaning that google's goal is to improve upon it.
the only way to figure out how to improve something is based on customer feedback.

Biggest kicker is yes 20 million are trying Google but how do you wean people to change when so many have settled down with Facebook. If I had an account with FB I would like an App to somehow grab all my info and transfer. Theirs a point where people just don't want the hassle of starting all over again, unless FB has a major disagreement with their clients. How much time do you have in one day, from what I've read and seen with my kids, is one network is all they can handle. Even two would be just to much. On the other hand with Google you never know what ideas they come up with to blow FB away. Some crazy ideas like discounts on your cell phone if you use android or some toy that has it.

Using the reason that, "it's beta," is awful and demonstrates this guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

I would agree you shouldn't bother with something that is beta in the traditional sense of the term beta, which means something that is in test mode, not meant for production, and will be reset when it goes to production (or live or gold or whatever you want to call it).

Google won't be wiping the slate clean when it deems Google+ ready.

In the meantime, if you're staying away for that reason, then some other moron who uses the same name as you will take the name and leave you scrambling for scraps.

Google mismanagement, awful policies, and requirement to use real names are good reasons. (The latter is no doubt for investor/stakeholders who demand profits, and having real names attached to real people's numbers, addresses, personal information, and searching/shopping habits is a gold mine, despite the privacy issues. As the saying goes, if you're not paying for the product, then you're the product.)

There are companies who have "production" products/services that don't have a goal to improve upon them? Novel idea!

I'll be surprised if Google ever relents on it's real name policy, but I think they might allow public profile details to only show a pseudonym and not the person's real name. IE, you might only display your pseudonym(s) to people not in your circles, but display your real name to your friends circle, a nickname to a different circle, and names your known by in other circles to those circles only.

@Sworkhard: I wouldn't be surprised by exactly that! As long as *Google* knows your personal information and utilizes it for government spying and their own data mining/advertising revenues, they should be fine with whatever is displayed.

There are companies who have "production" products/services that don't have a goal to improve upon them? Novel idea!

how long was gmail in beta? like 5 years...
even in beta gmail was far better than most other email services.

When Google asked for someone's ID to confirm their real name, I canceled my account right after that.
Then I was criticized by someone here about this, saying I'm supposed to use my real name and I should never use social networking again by leaving G+.
Some people, like myself, have important roles that involve maintaining a spotless reputation. Any link to me acting a fool under my real name on a social network, wouldn't be good for my career.

It's a "social" network to have fun, and I should be able to choose to use my real name or nickname.

Does it atleast allow you to use an avatar?

I have two online personas. One for gaming, and another (this one) for serious discussions. They don't contradict each other, but they're different in that the other will not respond to anything related to work but this one is used when logging in to client systems and corporate accounts. I certainly do not want people to easily associate the two. And those two personas span multiple forums. Enough that people from other gaming forums actually say hi when they see my other name in another. I do not want the professional side meeting these guys. Especially after my supervisors hair stood up on ends after finding out the two were the same because even tho they're both serious, their motivations were 180, i don't horseplay during office hours and i've got a rep as a no-nonsense terminator, but afterwards, i organize games and events (Some people couldn't wrap their head around that, Supervisors especially). It's a way for us to cope, especially the serious types, we can focus on our work because "play" is for the other "guy". Simply hiding posts is not enough to keep the two separate.

he only complains that it isn't perfect (which facebook is far from)
and that you can't lie about who you are...

the whole point of social networking is to connect with people you know... why hide from people using fake names? if you dont want someone to see what you post, google created circles for a reason...

the only way to figure out how to improve something is based on customer feedback.

Also his spelling, grammar, and punctuation skills are severely lacking.

I don't know why people expected Google+ to be something different from FB. It still is just another social networking site.

Google+ will most likely become the next Facebook in a couple years. I don't like the idea of Google having everyone's personal information at their fingertips though.

to this day i dont have a Gmail account so if that happens it will likely be the end for me on social networking.

I have a google+ account with three weeks and I've logged onto it about six times. I dont like it all. I rather Facebook with the BetterFacebook addon in firefox.

IMO google is being bitchier than facebook. You have way more freedoms on facebook, which is extremely sad.

They already have, for so long.

Its a freakin field test people, they clearly stated that when the opened up invitations. They are constantly making changes to the thing. All of these journalists and what not are acting as though this is the final product. It wont be for probably quite some time. They are already one step ahead however in that they actually have a tendency to listen to their users more than Facebook ever has.

Back