Five Nights At Freddy's Developer Responds To "Hate"

HardOCP News

[H] News
Dear Mr. Game Developer,

We love you / hate you. Welcome to the internet.

Sincerely,

Random People on the Internets

Did you know that last year I was working at Dollar General? I worked as a cashier. I had three bosses who were all still in high school. Before that I worked at Target in the backroom freezer, unloading frozen foods. I haven’t had a successful life; and now that God has blessed me with some success, I’m doing my best to be responsible with that success. I don’t party on weekends, I don’t get drunk or sip martinis. I spend my evenings playing Megaman 3, buster only, with my kids. And I try to good with what's been given to me. I guess the reason I’m telling you all of this is to make sure you know that I’m human. I have a lot of flaws, and I’ve made a lot of mistakes. My games aren’t perfect, and they never will be.

He should really just ignore people and enjoy his life. People are just jealous they didn't hit it big with such a simple idea.

He should really just ignore people and enjoy his life. People are just jealous they didn't hit it big with such a simple idea.

Everyone is a special snowflake that needs the world to bend to meet them. Generation [N]arcissist.

Agreed. Those kind of people are always angry and looking to ruin other peoples day because they made their life suck. Best to just ignore them until no one can hear them anymore.

People are assholes on the internet. I try not to let it get to me. Of course, after a while, I'm sure it would get to anyone. Some people just like to hate on others. Especially if they are successful after something simple (Grumpy Cat (r), etc..).

I like this guys attitude. My kids love the games, too.

Five Nights at Freddy fans are nuts a lot of them are young they are totally off their rocker.....

A lot of people except games today be patched today to fix bugs. The bugs they had in Ultima Online where you ran a Macro in the background to get uber skills were some of the best bugs in a game ever. Gamers except perfection for some reason in games today when nothing is perfect to begin with so why should they except it?

I don't get it, what exactly is there to hate? He made games, that you would or would not like... if you don't then don't buy it. Seriously.... people just can't seem not attack people who do better than them these days.

Wish I could get myself to finish on things I want to do... procrastination's a bitch.

A lot of people except games today be patched today to fix bugs. The bugs they had in Ultima Online where you ran a Macro in the background to get uber skills were some of the best bugs in a game ever. Gamers except perfection for some reason in games today when nothing is perfect to begin with so why should they except it?

Hmm... I don't see how that's a bug. It's a system where repetition makes you better. And people got the computer to repeat. Not exactly the funnest way to play, but I'd hardly call it a bug. Maybe an oversight.

i remember a time, about 20 years ago now, when one could go to a games website, or even a fan site, and meet and chat with others in a fun way. people sharing in a mostly positive way.

nowadays.. LOL i will not even attempt to go to any open gaming website. pure vitriol and epeen wagging

no thanks

the only gaming website i will even visit nowadays is our gaming guild site because its filled with actual adults and no crap is allowed. there, and onkly there, can i get good conversations on games

>Has skydaddy
>Believes skydaddy blessed him with a video game.

Ugh. Turns my stomach.

I thought everything was perfect in God's eyes!?

OK, let's NOT turn this into a religion discussion please. If it continues, thread will be closed.

I've had some success, I get drunk on weekends and I've been known to have a Martini with breakfast when I'm on vacation.

Could I get some e-validation from the [H]?

I'm feeling insecure.

I imagine half the people bitching are like Francis (look up Boogie on YouTube) when they are online bitching about games like this and those that make them. Just a huge rage fueled by Mountain Dew and Cheetos Flamin' Hot chips.

Chill out, man. People flip out over the smallest things. Complain, sure. But, don't go off on some tirade about how you're going to piss on their doorstep and skin their cat... :)

I've had some success, I get drunk on weekends and I've been known to have a Martini with breakfast when I'm on vacation.

Could I get some e-validation from the [H]?

I'm feeling insecure.

Just do what you do, man!

joedirt.jpg

I never played the games but I'm aware of them.
Don't understand where the hate is coming from and congratulations to him for all the success and hopefully more to come.

I quick Google search suggested his daily revenue was around $12K and Wiki said he donated $250K to whatever non-profit gave him seed money.

Looks like the dude is doing great compared to working at Dollar General.

Everyone is a special snowflake that needs the world to bend to meet them. Generation [N]arcissist.

More like victimism I'd say. Most animals evolved with an aggressive trait that is unleashed during threats. If it's not something life-threatening like a bear tumbling toward you then it may be something as little as a misplaced comment that it far too open for interpretation.

...or bad spelling/grammar *don't hit me!!!* :p

The problem is that videos games used to be a recreational activity or hobby... something to pass the time and enjoy. Turn it on, play, turn if off, move on with your life. Over the last decade or so, "gaming" has now warped into a "culture" for certain people.

With "Gamergate", "SJW" issues I find it completely ridiculously that people feel that VIDEO GAMES personally effect their well-being. As if "you don't release the game I like", you're personally attacking my happiness and way-of-life.

If any of us (or those bitching) had an opportunity to do the same, I'm sure we would. Some of us would be dicks about it, too. But, I can almost guarantee that no one would turn it down.

The problem is that videos games used to be a recreational activity or hobby... something to pass the time and enjoy. Turn it on, play, turn if off, move on with your life. Over the last decade or so, "gaming" has now warped into a "culture" for certain people.

With "Gamergate", "SJW" issues I find it completely ridiculously that people feel that VIDEO GAMES personally effect their well-being. As if "you don't release the game I like", you're personally attacking my happiness and way-of-life.

I see an overwhelming level of entitlement in people anymore that just staggers me. No one is owed anything. Not sure where people get this mentality. You see it a lot in game backers. They feel like the devs should work for the backers, but people dont realize, you didn't fund or invest in their company. You simply bought a product that wasn't released yet in the hopes it becomes what they initially described it as.

I see an overwhelming level of entitlement in people anymore that just staggers me. No one is owed anything. Not sure where people get this mentality. You see it a lot in game backers. They feel like the devs should work for the backers, but people dont realize, you didn't fund or invest in their company. You simply bought a product that wasn't released yet in the hopes it becomes what they initially described it as.

I agree but as I mentioned, I feel the entitlement comes from the sense that video games for some people are more than just entertainment but a "lifestyle". Don't get me wrong I love video games as much as the next guy but, you have to draw the line between reality and video games.... Some people can't. With Twitch and full-time Youtube commentators it's grow to ridiculous levels of absurdity on topics surrounding video games. In the end, it's just a form of entertainment just like anything else in life....

I agree but as I mentioned, I feel the entitlement comes from the sense that video games for some people are more than just entertainment but a "lifestyle". Don't get me wrong I love video games as much as the next guy but, you have to draw the line between reality and video games.... Some people can't. With Twitch and full-time Youtube commentators it's grow to ridiculous levels of absurdity on topics surrounding video games. In the end, it's just a form of entertainment just like anything else in life....

True. I could understand the people who rely on video games as a source of income having an outrage to a degree. Yea I get upset when something is wrong in a game or is buggy, but then I just learn from it. Sometimes things you buy will turn out bad and be a complete waste of money, tis life.

Now once winter hits I may have more emotion toward games as I refuse to go outside then lol.

We don't have a great war in our generation, or a great depression, but we do, we have a great war of the spirit. We have a great revolution against the culture. The great depression is our lives. We have a spiritual depression. ~Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club, Chapter 19

Meh, he's complaining about the same things anyone with a successful public product or fame faces. He should get thicker, or oilier, skin and stop being so concerned about what a small percentage of people think about him or his work.

That´s actually the thing... I´d like to see Kickstarters to be actual investment situations instead of hopeful donations that they are today. And then to get a cut of the profits if success happens. You are right that people don´t seem to understand fully what they are getting into at the moment. ;)

Only thing I don't really like about Five Nights at Freddy's is how there are already 3 sequels within less than a year timespan...franchise milking at its finest.

Only thing I don't really like about Five Nights at Freddy's is how there are already 3 sequels within less than a year timespan...franchise milking at its finest.

If people want to keep on buying them who really gives a shit? It seems to me like this guy has figured out how to profit from episodic content that actually gets released in a timely manner instead of once a year (and then never again). And good for him. It's not like he's charging triple-A money for every installment.

From what I've seen, he's at least changing things up a bit between versions. It's not my kind of game but it never struck me as some grand complicated thing that needed years of development time.

>Has skydaddy
>Believes skydaddy blessed him with a video game.

Ugh. Turns my stomach.

Or you could just let people believe what they want in their personal lives and enjoy playing their video games. That's an option.

They're not meant to be the next Half-Life. Small games, small price and a couple more following success... Nothing nefarious... Just a dude providing what the market is paying for.

awwwww... poor baby... :rolleyes:

P.S. Taking anything anyone says on the internet seriously is a mental illness.

From what I've seen, he's at least changing things up a bit between versions. It's not my kind of game but it never struck me as some grand complicated thing that needed years of development time.

The changes didn't look that significant to me but then again, I haven't been following the title too closely. Looks like the 4th one changed it up the most with the first 2 sequels being incremental at best.

My kids are 4 and 7 and I always catch them watching this garbage, installing apps on our phones or demos on the computer. Ive watched my son play it, the game makes no sense what so ever to me. So your a security guard and you watch camera monitors , flip some lights on , close some doors. omg jump scare?

I am ashamed that my children find this amusing. When i was 7 years old I was playing masters of magic, orion, star control -- games that had a rich game play and or story. Games that made you think strategically... sometimes games based on real history that taught me geography.

Back