Fitting h70 in my case

Danja

Limp Gawd
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about getting an h70 for my uATX gaming/HT pc. I took some pictures, did some measurements, and came up with a drawing of how I think the h70 will fit. I'm wondering if it will heat up the rest of my PC by restricting airflow. My RAM is hidden underneath the big drive bay and there's no good way of getting air to it (the h70 may actually help in that regard). I'm concerned about the (north bridge?) though. The big red radiator on the motherboard. I hear those get hot on these rampage iii gene boards, and I'm concerned that putting in an h70 would reduce the airflow to it even more.

What do you guys think?

H70Projection.jpg

edit: I think I see a possible fatal flaw. I'm not sure if I would be able to get the side panel on because of the fan that I've attached to it. I'm not sure I'm willing to get rid of the fan since it's doing such a good job of cooling the gpu core. More measurement time.

edit 2: Yup, it won't fit. I'm glad I caught that before buying. Somehow I completely ignored that. Anyone have an idea for the next best thing that will fit in my case?

Last edited:
You could upgrade to a bigger case for less money than it would cost for a H70. That case you have is quite cramped.

Ah, but I put so much work into it :). I'm also really fond of that removable drive bay. It might make a good project to see if I could fit it into a bigger case. Would definitely test my dremel skills.

It should fit, mine and alot of other peoples h70 overlaps the cpu, just mind you.

But you shouldnt have problems, if you do, then put one of the fans for the rad on the outside of the case, then you will not come into contact with the heatsink.

I would ditch the side fan, as the fans on the rad will still draw in enough air, trust me on that.

BTW, wtf is up with the massive amount of crazy white usb and whatever else wires at the bottom of your pc, the person/company who built it should get a kick in the balls for doing a piss poor job.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how much work you put into getting the drive bay in your current case but if you can get it into that tiny little thing I don't see why you couldn't get it into a bigger case. In fact you could get a new removable drive bay and a nice midtower case for the cost of a H70.

Alright, some back story. The computer is an hp media center m7560n that my dad bought years ago for basic home office/photo editing. It came prebuilt with the TV tuner card (hence all the white cables) and the giant removable drive bay. Over the summer his hard drive kicked the bucket and instead of buying a new one, he decided to just get a whole new computer (hp of course). I therefore got the old one and wanted to turn it into a gaming rig. I didn't really know what I was doing at the time so I got a new hard drive and a 4870 and was mildly surprised to see that it didn't perform nearly as well as I expected. I first realized that the graphics card was overheating to I did a bit of modding to the rear fan port to allow it to accommodate a 120 mm fan (as opposed to the stock 80). When that didn't reduce the overheat, I dremeled out the fan slots on the side panel and put in a second fan. This keeps the graphics card nice and cool. It still didn't perform as expected and after some forum posting, I determined that the motherboard + cpu combination (2.2 gHz athlon X2) was bottlenecking it. This catalyzed a complete rebuild with my current Asus rampage III gene, i7 930, and OCZ gold. I still kept the case though and it works fine, although the processor is a bit toasty. I recently decided to overclock my i7 for better performance on Oblivion but I hit 86 degrees during Prime 95 so I was told I didn't have much headroom, hence my current situation.

I bought a new removable drive for the removable drive bay a couple weeks ago because I love the convenience of it. If I got a new case I would want to mod it and put in the drive bay from this PC, which could be tricky due to its size and odd shape.

edit: the h70 would fit only if I removed the fan from the side panel. The fan is about an inch deep and the h70 would sit flush against the side panel. The side panel fan would have to occupy at least the same volume as the h70 rear fan, if not part of the radiator as well.

Don't worry about the side panel fan, in actuality it won't make much of a difference. I'd also agree that it will fit, and you could even get scythe slipstream fans that are thinner than normal. I actually mounted my 2nd fan outside the back of my case to free up room inside and still keep the push/pull setup

Back