Fisherman 1 - Drone 0

I would be aiming more at something comparable to a drivers license in costs. Nothing ridiculous but just enough to kind of put a gate in the way before you go out and hurt someone or damage your investment.

Not likely to happen. The cheapest license the FAA grants is a sport pilot's license which is $3000-$5000 and that only covers light sport aircraft. (http://www.aopa.org/Advocacy/Regula.../Frequently-Asked-Questions-About-Sport-Pilot and take a look at the rules and regulations just for that license).

Flying an aircraft is not like driving a car. There are tons more rules and regulations that need to be covered and you can't do that in a few week class at summer like you can in driver's ed.

Not likely to happen. The cheapest license the FAA grants is a sport pilot's license which is $3000-$5000 and that only covers light sport aircraft. (http://www.aopa.org/Advocacy/Regula.../Frequently-Asked-Questions-About-Sport-Pilot and take a look at the rules and regulations just for that license).

Flying an aircraft is not like driving a car. There are tons more rules and regulations that need to be covered and you can't do that in a few week class at summer like you can in driver's ed.

No, it won't fit into any existing system set up, but that doesn't stop the possibility of something new being created as this doesn't fit well into any other licensing processes.

The YouTube comments are great and the very definition of that didn't go as expected as everyone rips the a**hole drone operator. With how many problems drone operators are causing it is only a matter of time until they get banned from the general public and they will only be in the hands of the government. Sad too, RC planes were ridiculously fun as kids at designated airports and they will probably get banned too along with the drones. But what are you going to do, a**holes always ruin it for the rest of us.

Well, ideally they get the same restrictions of flying at designated places and not an outright ban.

Take it from someone who has flown a real, big boy plane. If I flew a plane that close to the pier, I'd have FAA inspectors on my ass in an instance. Just because it is a drone doesn't mean it is not dangerous; people have been scalped by those things before.

You amateurs are going to get drones to require a pilot's license (complete with Class 3 medical) because you can't exercise common decency.

I'm fairly sure everything is dangerous.

I fly quads, I have no respect for guys that ignore common sense and try to stand on "Well there is no LAW" legal ground......those are just pot-stirring assholes with no regard at all for others.

I figure we are less than a year from outright bans in public spaces at the municipal level. We're one or two good accidents away from that knee-jerk.

Then all you anarchists who like to stand on that tired old "Well air is not private property" nonsense can commence your bitching and whining about an overbearing government.

I fly drone/ rc multirotors and I hate these videos. They further the idea that RC pilots are idiots.

I have been able to fly, film and enjoy RC flight without putting others at risk or pissing people off.

Wish they were still expensive and required actual electronics knowledge to build/operate prior to DJI and their phantom line :(

Here is my youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/user/adidas4275

Click on the link I posted, it was built in the 1920's privately and has been privately owned since.

The actual pier itself is private property but the beach is not, any ownership of the beach were not grandfathered into the California Coastal Act which basically states ALL beaches are public. And when you have someone acting in an a public area (the beach, water, etc) it doesn't matter if the private one next to them has rules about quiet, those rules do not apply to the public area.

Any stretch of a private property ruling would be if it flew over the pier, those arguments of "you own the airspace above your property" have been largely defeated in court. So unless he took off, stayed over the pier (which from this video he wasn't), and landed on the pier, he's not exactly violating any rules.

Take it from someone who has flown a real, big boy plane. If I flew a plane that close to the pier, I'd have FAA inspectors on my ass in an instance.

This is so relevant, because 3 pound RC quads are so similar to Cessnas.

Clearer/simpler laws would be appreciated. I agree it seems more dangerous what the fisherman did, but if they had a noise policy or something specific then I don't feel bad for the drone operator.

Drones and handheld lasers will all get banned soon if people don't start using them a little more responsibly.

Drones and handheld lasers will all get banned soon if people don't start using them a little more responsibly.

So if I put lasers on my drone and chase planes and shine lights in their eyes, this could get interesting.

That's a bit vague isn' it? This drone is over a beach, worse case scenario it falls in the ocean. You can't really fly a drone anywhere that's not within range of people unless you're in the middle of the desert.

Worse case scenario is the drone flies into a group of people on the beach. No one is going to care if it falls in the ocean.

That's the thing about law....there is always a counter argument. How about the common law tort of nuisance?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuisance

The actual pier itself is private property but the beach is not, any ownership of the beach were not grandfathered into the California Coastal Act which basically states ALL beaches are public. And when you have someone acting in an a public area (the beach, water, etc) it doesn't matter if the private one next to them has rules about quiet, those rules do not apply to the public area.

Any stretch of a private property ruling would be if it flew over the pier, those arguments of "you own the airspace above your property" have been largely defeated in court. So unless he took off, stayed over the pier (which from this video he wasn't), and landed on the pier, he's not exactly violating any rules.

This is so relevant, because 3 pound RC quads are so similar to Cessnas.

People have been killed by RC aircraft before. Just because it's small doesn't mean the blades can't cut through flesh and do serious damage.

Too late for lasers.

Within the last few years, the FDA has banned most powerful handheld lasers (>5mw) because :

A.People are too stupid to know not to shine it in their eyes.
B.People are too stupid to know not to shine it in other people's eyes.
C.People are too stupid to understand that mirrors and shiny surfaces reflect light.
D.People are too stupid to understand divergence and how a pointer that produces a small point of light close up can illuminate an entire aircraft flight deck when pointed at a plane thousands of feet away.

Warms my heart to see what happened to that drone. The better outcome would be to pull it down and destroy it right on the spot. The dbags that fly these drones annoying the crap out of everyone else should be arrested and thrown in jail for a few days.

Do you also wish you could punt small dogs/children over a fence into oncoming traffic?

Warms my heart to see what happened to that drone. The better outcome would be to pull it down and destroy it right on the spot. The dbags that fly these drones annoying the crap out of everyone else should be arrested and thrown in jail for a few days.

Agreed; I added sand shells to the last batch of shotgun shells I made just for the opportunity to shoot one down. :)

Tyranny much?

I should be able to take shots and harley bikes and loud cars as well as shoot your barking dog because i am 'annoyed'

Get off your soapbox gramps, Jesus.....

I dont see a problem with these drones. It's the morons flying them into air traffic controlled zones without permission. Public areas, be my guest. Private areas, fly at your own risk.

I'f these operators are being disrespectful, they can't place blame for what happens to the drone.

Many people apparently find drones annoying ... I find jet skis annoying. The difference is I don't try to damage someone's jetski.

Get off your soapbox gramps, Jesus.....

I am picturing an old guy instead of sitting on his rocking chair with a gun yelling "git off mah lawwwwn!" I am picturing an old guy sitting with bandoliers of ammo yelling "git out of my air spaaaaaace!"

Keep in mind, if this was a decent sized drone, they can be damn noisy, which can go a long way towards ruining someone else's time.

Public beach and does not stop people from doing exhaust systems on 4 cylinders...

Also considering this drone cost in the neighborhood of $800-$2500 plus the camera for another 300-1000 depending on camera. As drones are at this time legal that fisherman would be liable for the full cost of any damage...

Well said. I am waiting for the first time someone takes out a drone for spite and the damage and collateral damage from the drone falling and possibly starting a fire causes a person to lose their house. We need that kind of example to get people to realize that destroying these for fun is not a sport.

That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life. You are claiming that a drone is essentially a bomb, so people better not mess with your drone, because it will burn down a neighborhood.

Seriously? You are arguing that drones possess real danger to the public...so don't mess with them. You are arguing yourself into a freakin corner.

Drones are harmless but invasive toys for weirdos. They get used alot for larks and harassment. People turn around and take out the drone and then the harasser is crying about his 300 dollar toy getting destroyed. Gimme a break.

That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life. You are claiming that a drone is essentially a bomb, so people better not mess with your drone, because it will burn down a neighborhood.

Seriously? You are arguing that drones possess real danger to the public...so don't mess with them. You are arguing yourself into a freakin corner.

Drones are harmless but invasive toys for weirdos. They get used alot for larks and harassment. People turn around and take out the drone and then the harasser is crying about his 300 dollar toy getting destroyed. Gimme a break.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...ed-helicopter-slices-throat-article-1.1447068

Public beach and does not stop people from doing exhaust systems on 4 cylinders...

Also considering this drone cost in the neighborhood of $800-$2500 plus the camera for another 300-1000 depending on camera. As drones are at this time legal that fisherman would be liable for the full cost of any damage...

FAA rules prohibit drone use around people. If the drone pilot wasn't hovering his drone around the fishermen, they would have never been able to hit it. Asshole drone pilot deserved to have his drone attacked. Maybe now he'll be considerate.

You apparently have never had to put out a lithium metal fire. Please educate yourself a little on the subject. I am not saying it is a bomb and to run away, im saying you shouldn't shoot down things because you dont know what the consequences are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjkW3KUz5uo
this is just an average sized battery. Some of your longer flight larger drones use 2 batteries of a higher capacity.

Back