First Windows 7 Upgrade Deal Offered

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
PCWorld reports that the first Windows 7 Upgrade deal is in the wild. No, it’s not from Dell or HP, it’s from Puget Systems. Hm, it reminds me of the old free upgrade to Windows 95 program back in the day: buy a computer with Win 3.1 and get a free upgrade to Win95 when it released.

Beginning next week, Puget Systems customers who purchase PCs that cost at least $1000, and are equipped with the 64-bit edition of Windows Vista Ultimate, will be eligible for a free upgrade later this year to the 64-bit version of Windows 7 Ultimate.

Have to admit that's a pretty damned nice deal, esspecially for everyone who's feeling a little burned by Windows 7 coming so soon after Vista.

Nice to see this happening... means we are getting close to launch :)

Yes it is... but it certainly isn't a news flash that companies will always be coming out with newer more updated products based (hopefully) off customer feedback. I got windows vista because I was getting a new computer. I don't feel "burned" by Microsoft, I just won't be upgrading until I need to or until I get another system. To me its like buying a car knowing next year there will be a newer model out.

Back to the thread, if companies feel compelled to do the "upgrade" bit... sounds great.

Have to admit that's a pretty damned nice deal, esspecially for everyone who's feeling a little burned by Windows 7 coming so soon after Vista.

Vista will be almost 3 years old with 7 comes out, hardly soon and much more in line with Microsoft's historical release schedule. Vista was the exception with the five year span between it and XP.

So I wonder if Puget has worked out some type of deal with MS to pay for this or is Puget paying for this as an internal promotion? My guess is that must either have some information or reason for doing this other than marketing, but that's just a guess.

you know, there are a lot of regular people with pc's that don't have the hardware to run vista properly... so even though win7 is almost out i don't think it will mean most people will use vista for the cheap and win7 for fancy (as im sure ms would like it). it really does seem like vista will be squeezed out in a very winME fashion (although for much less reason):(

you know, there are a lot of regular people with pc's that don't have the hardware to run vista properly... so even though win7 is almost out i don't think it will mean most people will use vista for the cheap and win7 for fancy (as im sure ms would like it). it really does seem like vista will be squeezed out in a very winME fashion (although for much less reason):(

I think Microsoft is in a position where they are definitely wishing to get rid of the stigma that the "Vista" name carries with it. Also Windows 7 runs great on lesser hardware as well so I have a feeling your going to see more people running it with lesser PCs then you did with Vista.

It's about time Microsoft has showed some game in the OS market. :)

I just wanna know when Win 7 is gonna hit and how much an upgrade disk is gonna cost.

I really hope they have another powertogether type of deal I want a free copy of 7 :D

I think Vista only carries a stigma because of the douche-boxes that were too afraid/stupid/all of the above of...well, maybe breathing, perhaps? I never had a problem with Vista, and have used it since beta to today.

Still works wonderfully.

At least $1000 for a computer. Hmm I don't know. The average customer doesn't need a computer that cost more than $500-700 these days. My mother bought an HP Pavilion a6750t with a Core2Duo 2.6ghz and 3gb RAM with a 320gb drive and Geforce 9300 (128mb) for $489 about 2 months ago and it came with Vista Home Premium and it's pretty snappy. She opted for no monitor because she already had a 22" widescreen. Adding a 22" monitor from HP's configuration would just cost another $200, bringing the total to about $700.

How about customers that have major issues with Vista get a free upgrade, and people who say it's is all roses and sunshine have to pay for the upgrade? :D

I feel kind of left out here because the people who build their own computers always get left out of the "free upgrade" path. sigh

i remember when i did this with dell... whole turn around was 8-10 weeks if i remember correctly.

kind of too long when you are drooling over a new OS....

So I wonder if Puget has worked out some type of deal with MS to pay for this or is Puget paying for this as an internal promotion? My guess is that must either have some information or reason for doing this other than marketing, but that's just a guess.

Nope, we're not working with Microsoft on this. We're paying for it ourselves.:D

I love you too, Magoo. ;-)

Oh, and how long it takes to get a PC turned around is going to depend on whether or not we get a huge demand for the service. I CAN tell you that it's not going to be anywhere near 8-10 weeks...I anticipate the very longest delay might be a week or two. Our guys are pretty efficient and work fast.

Back