First watercooling setup - sanity check + questions...

Hi All,

I'm planning out a watercooling setup, and would like some advice/feedback on what I have so far after a long afternoon on this forum and google and then checking availability locally....

I'm not PLANNING to Overclock, but at the sametime, if there is the overhead available... why not? The main reason for doing the watercooling is cause I've always wanted to try it, AND I'm sick of hearing the roar of my GPU fan.

Furthermore, if I go to watercooling the need for a case almost disappears, as long as there is some air blowing over the mosfets and the southbridge... correct?

Otherwise the case is an Antec P182, the radiator would live outside the box, the resevoir could go in the 5.25 bays and the pump below as that harddrive cage isn't in use.

Planned setup is:
Resevoir - Pump - Rad - CPU (Q9650) - GPU (EVGA GTX 285 1024MB RAm model)

My first guess at the hardware list, based on prices and availability over here in germany:

Resevoir:
Danger Den Dual-bay resevoir 5.25 - 34,90

I wasn't sure if 1 bay would be enough or not, so for 6 euros more, I can get the dual.

PUMP:
Swiftech MCP355 - 86 + EK X-Top V2 19,90

Puzzled together from numerous sources as being most likely the best for this setup.

RADIATOR:
Feser Xchanger 360 + fans - 124

The swiftech MCR320 is available for 89 euros, no fans. The Xchanger without fans is 99 and comes with 3 S-Flex (convenience order). If the swiftech is better, I could still order it, but with 8 euros shipping and all other parts (except pump) coming from 1 store, the Xchanger is more convenient.

CPU Block:
WATERCOOL Heatkiller CPU Rev3.0 -56,94
+ backplate: Watercool Heatkiller Backplate LGA775 5,90

GPU Block: Danger Den GTX285 VGA Cooler (Revision 1) -99,90

My only concern is which version to take (V1 or V2) to fit my EVGA 285... but the store suggests sending them a picture of the card with the cooler off and they'll make sure its the right one... problem is, then I'm without a GFX card...

Now for the questions:

Tubes:
A User named Cathar posted a fairly good info post which I used to decide on the 13mm ID tubes, none of the 16mm OD tubes had a consistent 13ID, usually somewhere between 12,5 and 12,7 so I went with 19 outer...

Do I need a tube cutter? Or what else works well?
How do I estimate my required tube length? Or should I go with that recommended 15ft (+ distance for my radiator from case)

I picked some Feser 19/13 hoses, sadly only available in pre-cut 2,5m lengths. The 13/10mm hoses from Feser can be ordered by the metre so whatever lenth I want... would that be better/just as good/more economical given my setup?

Fillport:

Do I need one for an external resevoir setup? What about internal? Is there a way to use a filltop without cutting a hole in the case? Does a filltop require additional fittings to be calculated and its own section of hose? (I couldn't find a good explanation for that...)

Fittings:

I decided to go with compression fittings, and am left with a choice between 3 final candidates... the links are to a german site but its pretty straight forward. The first set of Feser connectors says they work with 13mm ID and ANY external diameter (my spidey sense tingles at that), the second set of Fesers are for 19/13 hoses and come in a 4-pack and are a bit cheaper than the Bitspowers which are also for 19/13 hoses.

Is there a difference between them at all?

http://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog...ector-Sets/Feser-Fitting-Set-1-4-Zoll-auf-ID-

13-mm::12610.html
OR
http://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog...uss-1-4-Zoll-auf-19-13mm-4er-Pack::13032.html
OR
http://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog...s-1-4-Zoll-auf-19-13mm-matt-black::14083.html

I calculated the required number of fittings at 12. Regarding quick disconnects: I wasn't able to find anything like those over here, but I don't plan to move the case around at all...

I also found a sanity relieving flow meter would I be better off with something better/different?
http://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog/Watercooling/Controlling/Flow-Indicator-Red::1063.html

Finally, if the pump and resevoir also live outside the case, I found a noise reducing housing for the pump... is that worth it or are they not all that loud?

Otherwise I'm aware I'll need a pile of thermalpaste, lots of patience, and some more planning. I think I'm on the right track but could use a sanity check....

I'll also need to figure out how to get my hands on some .999 silver...

Thanks for your input,
Andrew

For silver, you can often find it on ebay. If you're looking to make coils, just search for .999 silver bezel. You can also find the silver bezel strip at places that deal in jewelry making supplies. Some people also just toss a coin that is mostly silver into their reservoir. Might try a coin shop if you don't have one lying around.

Your build looks good. For tubing I cut it with a sharp knife, which will cut strait if you are carefull. Most recommend 10 feet/3m but I would get 4m or 5 m, It suck later if you change something and have to find more tubing. Fittings, if you go all compression make sure that you get at least 2 45 degree angle ones for the CPU block, the strait ones do not fit. Fillport is up to you just remember that if you get one you will need some way to connect the drain line to the loop by a T or something.

These guys also have lots of WC stuff if you haven't checked them out already.

For the Video card. You can tell the version by the heatsink screw placement without having to take it apart. These are pics from danger dens site that I circled to show you which screw you need to look at to tell the version. Notice the far corner screw on the same side as the PCI slot, on version 1 the screw is in the corner and on version 2 it is set back.

GTX 285 Version 1

285v1.jpg

GTX 285 Version 2

285v2.jpg

Resevoir:
Danger Den Dual-bay resevoir 5.25 - 34,90
I wasn't sure if 1 bay would be enough or not, so for 6 euros more, I can get the dual.
I got a dual bay from danger den for an old build, and in retrospect I really think I should have gotten a single bay. Depending on the case, you might have to modify to fit the dual bay, which isn't worth it in my opinion.

Do I need a tube cutter? Or what else works well?
I use a very sharp knife or utility shears.

Fillport:
Do I need one for an external resevoir setup? What about internal? Is there a way to use a filltop without cutting a hole in the case? Does a filltop require additional fittings to be calculated and its own section of hose? (I couldn't find a good explanation for that...)
With that danger den reservoir, you don't really need a fillport. You have to leave enough slack in the tubing so you can pull the reservoir out enough to fill it.

Fittings:
Is there a difference between them at all?
There'll be quite a few fans of both companies. I think bitspower is a little bit more popular, mostly because they look good (I use bitspower myself for that same reason). Feser uses nickel coated brass, and bitspower uses a "high quality" brass. In usage, I haven't seen much difference. Neither one leaked on me when properly installed.

Finally, if the pump and resevoir also live outside the case, I found a noise reducing housing for the pump... is that worth it or are they not all that loud?
I don't find the pump loud at all, but some people say it has a very distinct pitch.

I'll also need to figure out how to get my hands on some .999 silver...
I'm not sure if jabtech delivers to your area:
http://www.jab-tech.com/Antimicrobial-Silver-Strip-pr-4530.html
Bitspower also makes a set of silver plated compression fittings that you can use. I think one set should be able to substitute for a kill coil.

Thanks everyone! I've started a new build based on having found some new stuff at Aquatuning and some more research. Primary goal is silence, so I'd probably need to go with a dual-loop system in order to keep the fans slow enough, or what do you all think?

@Damn: Good tip with the coin, might be the easiest bet rather than trying to figure out the silver strip stuff in german...

@Caniba: I just discovered Aquatuning, and have got 3/4's of a totally different dual-loop setup planned.... Excellent website. Those photos are also excellent, thank you!!!

@Shiny: In the new version I'm thinking of using the XSPC dual-pump resevoir/top combo thingy, having read some more, I agree a single bay should be plenty for the first setup.

Thanks again!

Back