First vid of The Elder Scrolls Online

I'm playing Chivalry atm and it's melee combat system for a first person game is by far even better then Skyrims.

Huh? From what I've seen watching Let's Plays of Chivalry, the combat is pretty much identical to Skyrim.

If you want more "in-depth" combat you are looking at Mount & Blade.

I would not mind WoW without cartoon graphics at all. I think that would be awesome. I hope this game is good, but like others have said... A LOT of MMO's have let me down.

Then take your pick? There's like a ZILLION mmo's out there like WoW that follow the same basic formula (started with EQ long before WoW).

Tera for example of a newer one (but with much better combat then WoW)

Huh? From what I've seen watching Let's Plays of Chivalry, the combat is pretty much identical to Skyrim.

If you want more "in-depth" combat you are looking at Mount & Blade.

No no no, Mount and Blades melee combat is TERRIBLE, by far the weakest part of M&B is the stupid looking melee combat.

Chivalry's isn't top notch either (no game is as close to doing melee combat as good as Severance, but that' sa third person game).

Chivalry's is not like Skyrim. You have blocking, counters, thrust/slash/overhead. However it's not relying on the gimmicky "four direction" system a la mount and blade. It just "feels" better, more faster paced and tactical.

Mount and blades main problem is how the movement has 0 relation to the players actions. This ends up making combat look like something out o fa comedy, with players strafing around swinging their weapons, it's the "jedi knight" type of snydrome where the feet don't correctly with the upperbody and mechanics of combat.

This. I love how butthurt everybody gets like they're losing something. Bethesda is still working on whatever they're working on and have nothing to do with the development of TESO

I hope so

No no no, Mount and Blades melee combat is TERRIBLE, by far the weakest part of M&B is the stupid looking melee combat.

Chivalry's isn't top notch either (no game is as close to doing melee combat as good as Severance, but that' sa third person game).

Chivalry's is not like Skyrim. You have blocking, counters, thrust/slash/overhead. However it's not relying on the gimmicky "four direction" system a la mount and blade. It just "feels" better, more faster paced and tactical.

Mount and blades main problem is how the movement has 0 relation to the players actions. This ends up making combat look like something out o fa comedy, with players strafing around swinging their weapons, it's the "jedi knight" type of snydrome where the feet don't correctly with the upperbody and mechanics of combat.

It doesn't matter if the animations are the best. The swordplay is awesome. It's great, directional blocking, actual weapon distances, sword damage based upon the relative velocity of character movements, no hitpoint bloat, timing, swing direction various have their pros and cons, it takes skill to be good. It takes practice to get the hang of. Calling it "Jedi knight syndrome" smells like you got beat by experienced players too much. The game isn't too forgiving.

I hope so

It doesn't matter if the animations are the best. The swordplay is awesome. It's great, directional blocking, actual weapon distances, sword damage based upon the relative velocity of character movements, no hitpoint bloat, timing, swing direction various have their pros and cons, it takes skill to be good. It takes practice to get the hang of. Calling it "Jedi knight syndrome" smells like you got beat by experienced players too much. The game isn't too forgiving.

M&B combat isn't perfect, but better than the vast majority of games. I prefer Dark Souls to any of them, though. That kind of combat would tip the scales for an MMO.

I hope so

The mechanics of it are gimmicky. Yes it can take skill but the way it looks, the way it feels, it's about as FAR from any resemblance of actual swordplay as you can get.

If you knew anything about real medieval combat it would look nothing like it looks (or feels to play) in mount and blade.

A good melee combat system would take into account stances, animations, actual physical connections, parries, and importantly, dodging. Yes you can move but there's no actual dodge mechanic (which chivalry has).

Melee combat in M&B feels less like actual swordplay would feel and more like a game of checkers in terms of it's four way attack/block system.

Severance was about the only game (to my knowledge) that got the "feel" of melee combat right. Yes it's a fantasy action game, but it made things like dodging/blocking vital to winning as well as reading the combat moves of your enemy and reaction quickly to them while having a great variety of attacks and animations that actually played out with the entire movement of your body rather then feeling like your legs/arms were two separate things and had no impact on what the other did. So there was none of that laughable "running to the left and swinging to the right while doing so" nonsense like you have in M&B.

As mentioned several times already, all they needed to do was make a game that had co-op.

Don't really want to play Elder Scrolls with tons of random people. I would however like to share my world with a few close friends.

EDIT: I've also never had an urge to play ES in third person.

Last edited:
The mechanics of it are gimmicky. Yes it can take skill but the way it looks, the way it feels, it's about as FAR from any resemblance of actual swordplay as you can get.

If you knew anything about real medieval combat it would look nothing like it looks (or feels to play) in mount and blade.

A good melee combat system would take into account stances, animations, actual physical connections, parries, and importantly, dodging. Yes you can move but there's no actual dodge mechanic (which chivalry has).

Melee combat in M&B feels less like actual swordplay would feel and more like a game of checkers in terms of it's four way attack/block system.

Severance was about the only game (to my knowledge) that got the "feel" of melee combat right. Yes it's a fantasy action game, but it made things like dodging/blocking vital to winning as well as reading the combat moves of your enemy and reaction quickly to them while having a great variety of attacks and animations that actually played out with the entire movement of your body rather then feeling like your legs/arms were two separate things and had no impact on what the other did. So there was none of that laughable "running to the left and swinging to the right while doing so" nonsense like you have in M&B.

M&B was a great step forward. When no one was doing jack, M&B took a giant step forward. Sure there are quirks and improvements that can be made, particularly the smoothness of feel. But it's light years ahead of 99% of real time action RPGs. Any AAA dev who would take the ideas from M&B without dumbing things down would only refine it away from the 'indie' feel of it and make it better. The direction M&B takes is not something to say 'no no no' to but 'yes yes yes and more'.
Elder Scrolls online is at best like Tera combat with mouse aiming. It doesn't look much better than that. Some principles from M&B would help a lot! Maybe severance is better, I haven't played it. Any of those games should serve as inspiration!

M&B combat isn't perfect, but better than the vast majority of games. I prefer Dark Souls to any of them, though. That kind of combat would tip the scales for an MMO.

I really should try that game. Too busy on planescape at the moment though ;)

Last edited:
Like others have posted. Looks very similar to wow and all the other generic MMO's and that's a shame... the PVP will not be very good and nothing really exciting/new to make this stand out.

MMOs again are failing to progress...

I was actually getting excited for this until the video :(

Sad, really.

Soo it's an unmoddable worse graphics skyrim in a world you can't mod with monthly fees/p2p...:confused:

Looks generic and boring as hell.

"Game really opens at lv 50"
"raids"
"pvp battlegrounds."

That's not why people play TES games at all.

All of us TES fans that asked for mp over the years, all we wanted was a simple co-op function, just you and a handful of ofriends to play together and explore the world, that's it.

Well that's all I needed to hear. I won't give this game a second thought. The original SWG was more like an Elder Scrolls game than this is.

All of us TES fans that asked for mp over the years, all we wanted was a simple co-op function, just you and a handful of ofriends to play together and explore the world, that's it.

This. I would also love to be able to host a persistent world for a handful of friends.

Back