First Unedited Google Pixel 2 Photos and Videos

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
A Google employee has posted nearly 40 pictures and videos from the new Pixel camera in a variety of different settings and lighting conditions. These were taken while the phone was in testing, with some shots having been taken as far back as late July. Thanks to Google’s software power, the portrait mode shots look particularly impressive.

We showed a few photos taken on Pixel 2 during the keynote, and we know some of our most enthusiastic fans will want to see them up close for themselves. Go ahead, take a look at some of our favorite unedited Pixel 2 photos and videos. There are also two videos edited to show side-by-side comparisons of video stabilization. Our #teampixel community has taken incredible photos with our first Pixel, and I can’t wait to see what you do with the Pixel 2 when you get your hands on one.

they certainly look impressive. wish could see what kinda setup like reflectors etc were needed for some of them.

Reactions: ecktt
like this
they certainly look impressive. wish could see what kinda setup like reflectors etc were needed for some of them.
Studio.jpg

fake bokeh. you see that girl's sleeves are blurred at the edge.
edge detection failed there.

Whats up with the distortion on the short video loops? The one of the rock climber you can clearly see the top edge of the rocks he's climbing and the sky sort of bend then snap back as the loop repeats. Same with the lower part of the brick wall behind the girl's legs. I'd imagine the same effect is happening on the others but the phone isn't stationary so hard to spot if possible at all. The still shots are nice though.

Ever notice that these pictures are never of a dude with a beer gut that looks like a koala's hiding its face in his man-clevage?

Why do they have to body shame men like this?

Ever notice that these pictures are never of a dude with a beer gut that looks like a koala's hiding its face in his man-clevage?

Why do they have to body shame men like this?

That guy is busy being the guy idiot in every tv commercial

Whats up with the distortion on the short video loops? The one of the rock climber you can clearly see the top edge of the rocks he's climbing and the sky sort of bend then snap back as the loop repeats. Same with the lower part of the brick wall behind the girl's legs. I'd imagine the same effect is happening on the others but the phone isn't stationary so hard to spot if possible at all. The still shots are nice though.

That's the warp stabilization applied by the cpu.

It's like how Youtube stabilizes your videos, and how Adobe Premiere Pro does it. There's some stretching to make the image fit

I see that Google only hands out the phones to attractive people and professional photographers for testing...

Here is an unedited iPhone photo to show the types of photos people actually take with phones. I didn’t have time to plan the lighting and frame the shot:

BB713839-81DF-470B-BAD4-4F451A8AD663.jpeg

Such majesty in one pic.

Last edited:
Here is an unedited iPhone photo to show the types of photos people actually take with phones. I didn’t have time to plan the lighting and frame the shot:

Nice cat.

I can top the realism though. Behold a sick old cat taken with an older Android phone. He got better, but not much. Still old.

7.jpg

I came for the Google bashing but stayed for the cat pics.

Photography is 95% lighting.

Shit camera, great lighting. You'll get good shots. These types of pictures generally mean nothing to me as they're posed and you can tell how most of them were lit and unless you're bringing assistants, constant light gear and a reasonable understanding of the inverse square law you're not going to get anywhere close it it. When I get one in my hands I'll see how it really is.

The image stabilization on the bike is impressive though.

fake bokeh. you see that girl's sleeves are blurred at the edge.
edge detection failed there.

Yeah, maybe most people wouldn't notice, but I really hate the edge detection fails in these 'portrait mode' photos. Stray hair always looks horrible too, either being blurred, or making the distant background look sharp.

I checked out some of these images and I'm still not impressed, the LG G4 still produces better quality images IMO (please note that means In My Opinion). Sure, I realize technology improves and the actual camera hardware and even the lens technology improves as well as the software processing but I've still yet to see any image from any other camera assembly that impressed me more than what the G4's hardware was able to produce.

There was something truly magical about that particular combination of hardware and software in the G4 that I still haven't seen an improvement on.

Back