First Ultra HD Blu-Ray Torrent Uploaded, Questioning AACS 2.0 Protection

It's pretty hard to tell what the sources are for these Rips. Zeus is a big source and from everything I read, he is not breaking the encryption. Some Zeus rips are later filled in with higher quality audio from Blu Ray.

If an in the loop source like Torrentfreak believes this is the first full crack of AACS 2.0, there is reasonable chance this is correct.

Fair enough. I know most of the groups have for sure been using the fury device which simply strips the DRM out of the signal. It is quite possible the audio is simply added from a standard blu copy. I can't speak to the quality of every release, the few I grabbed to test are for sure exactly what they claim to be quality wise. I have no doubt by the time large numbers of people care about 4k the current DRM will be useless. Once the attack vector is populated there isn't much they can do to correct it without a new generation of hardware. Annoying legit customers isn't worth the hassle they are going through imo.

There is no news about this on doom9 so..... I'm assuming the encryption has yet to be cracked. Someone just ripped a stream from playback.

Fair enough. I know most of the groups have for sure been using the fury device which simply strips the DRM out of the signal. It is quite possible the audio is simply added from a standard blu copy. I can't speak to the quality of every release, the few I grabbed to test are for sure exactly what they claim to be quality wise. I have no doubt by the time large numbers of people care about 4k the current DRM will be useless. Once the attack vector is populated there isn't much they can do to correct it without a new generation of hardware. Annoying legit customers isn't worth the hassle they are going through imo.

The standard Blu-ray did not contain the Atmos track that the rip contains. This is one of the reasons people are suspecting it could very well be legit.

I have the disc as it is great reference material for demoing UHD HDR. Almost tempted to download it and compare.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
It's not dead, just most studios haven't bothered releasing 4K yet. Disney is one of those major studios that's been on the sidelines with 4K lately. 4K resolution TVs are here to stay so 1080p BR is already the DVD of this generation. It just takes time to adapt.
I'm more disappointed with movie that gets Atmos in theatrical release but 7.1/5.1 in Bluray disc.

I'm more disappointed with movie that gets Atmos in theatrical release but 7.1/5.1 in Bluray disc.

Yeah,

But it might be tough to justify going Atmos for the 0.00001% of consumers that both have an Atmos compatible receiver, and have the appropriate height or whatever speakers to take advantage of it.

Personally I have an Atmos compatible receiver, but I see no reason to add more than 5.1 speakers.

There is no such thing as unbreakable.

The rightsholders should really just give up on DRM and encryption, and instead focus on improving the user experience when it comes to viewing legal content.

If they quit all of the exclusionary crap, like launching earlier in some regions than others, trying to tie a single show to changing your entire cable subscription, platform exclusives, and just make a single cross platform worldwide release on the same day everywhere, on all devices, and charge a fair price for it, people are willing to pay for content legally and support the work of the artists they enjoy.

The key is to stop making the consumers of content feel jilted and angry, and make the experience convenient, because then they will actually feel like doing the right thing and paying for it, rather than trying to stick it to the man.

Louis CK gave it a try back in 2011. He offered his latest standup special, he developed himself with his own money as a DRM free download on his webpage for $5. He broke even in sales within 12 hours, and 4 days later had sold over 100,000 copies making a nice little profit, and who knows what has happened since then, but he has posted many more videos for sale using this model since then, so it seems to be working for him.

This shows that there are users out there, who when they feel they aren't being screwed over by "the man" actually WANT to pay for the content, and will do so, even when it is excruciatingly easy to pirate it, like it was in this case.

I feel like this should be the approach to all media sold online.
It's pretty easy for Louis CK to do that. His budget was roughly 250k, while that Smurfs movie was over 100 million. But OK, Smurfs 2 made money (domestic+international) at the box office, so let's just stick to domestic disk sales.

Most of Smurfs 2's DVD sales occurred in the first 5-6 months (1.123 mil dvds @16.92). Does anyone think that sales would more than triple at $5.00/unit?
Also 82% of Blu Ray sales occurred in the first month (445,365 units @ $22.13/unit)

How does the Louis CK model work here? Are they going to sell 3.5 million SD copies at $5.00? Given that the current DVD price is $5.00 and it's not a top seller, I suspect it would not.

2h AC3? What the hell is the point of ripping a blu-ray if you are downmixing to stereo? I always rip the DTS-HD tracks and just bit-stream to the receiver.

4K video with 2ch audio. Really? That's not how you enjoy a movie.

I don't have a 5.1 setup or a (real) receiver in my living room... I pipe the audio to a Logitech Z5500 system over optical but I don't have the rear channels setup because of the way my living room is setup. Seems to have worked great for years so far. I'd rather have a nice TV than a nice audio system, my 65" KS8000 arrives this friday :) only paid $1300 brand new from Jet.com :)

I've been wondering about this, currently plex handles 1080p and decent audio (won't stream atmos though :( ) but I will be replacing my upstairs tv with a new 4K tv next year as it's long overdue, my current upstairs tv is a 720p rear projection beast lol. But then I started wondering how plex will handle 4K streams

It's not doing so hot, it handles the res but I think the bigger thing is the high bit rate

I don't have a 5.1 setup or a (real) receiver in my living room... I pipe the audio to a Logitech Z5500 system over optical but I don't have the rear channels setup because of the way my living room is setup. Seems to have worked great for years so far. I'd rather have a nice TV than a nice audio system, my 65" KS8000 arrives this friday :) only paid $1300 brand new from Jet.com :)

I got a cheapo 5.1 setup before a fancy TV. The difference it makes it night and day, just makes movies more immersive, I rarely bother going to theaters because I can get the same experience at home.

Tbh you don't need to downmix to stereo. Like if you rip to mp4 or mkv, you can have multiple audio streams. Most people won't be downloading a 50GB file anyway to watch it in stereo, which is my point.
What does stereo have to do with wanting better PQ?

No one ever complained about these being "copied". If the studios want security, then they need to get off their ass and design their own proprietary formats....stop profiting off the back of the computer industry and then complain when a computer does what it was designed to do. Computers are designed to copy data. It may do useful things with that data afterwards, but it always copies data.

78726.gif

No it's not what they should do. What they should do is realize no matter how much they fuck with the legitimate customer they won't be able to get rid of pirate groups cracking or circumventing their protection. So maybe they should go with no or minimal protection that doesn't need brand new hardware to play. For me they're dead. I'll never buy a bluray ever again. Fuck them. They should've made UHD BRs playable on any BD-R drive. But no they needed to change it just so that you need new hardware. And they're not even playable on PC right now afaik. So for all intents and purposes they cut themselves off from me. And still they act as if they don't know why people would rather pirate.

Valid point. However I don't know anyone that watches movies in stereo.

And you won't be downloading 50gb rips to view it on a cell phone.
Now you know.

I've had 5.1 got rid of it and went back to 2.0. Best decision ever. The extra speakers cluttering the room gave almost no benefit. How could they? A movie uses the surround speakers maybe twice in a few action sequences, for about 22 seconds from the total duration of the movie? Who cares. Yes there might be some background noise coming from them all the time, but when it's really noticable? That's a fraction of a percent from the entire movie. And I even game on 2.0, and to my amazement positional audio is much better than I used to with 5.1. The only problem is there are a few stupid games that cannot handle that you have a stereo system and when the sound should come from behind they'd rather muffle the sound.

And the center speaker? That's the most uneccesary thing ever. If you have good quality speakers you don't need a separate speaker to do the voice, because your speakers can manage the dynamic range.
So I never missed 5.1 for a second. So much so that when I moved I didn't even connect the surround and center speaker to my receiver so I went back to 2.0 on my "home cinema" as well.

Now you know.

I've had 5.1 got rid of it and went back to 2.0. Best decision ever. The extra speakers cluttering the room gave almost no benefit. How could they? A movie uses the surround speakers maybe twice in a few action sequences, for about 22 seconds from the total duration of the movie? Who cares. Yes there might be some background noise coming from them all the time, but when it's really noticable? That's a fraction of a percent from the entire movie. And I even game on 2.0, and to my amazement positional audio is much better than I used to with 5.1. The only problem is there are a few stupid games that cannot handle that you have a stereo system and when the sound should come from behind they'd rather muffle the sound.

And the center speaker? That's the most uneccesary thing ever. If you have good quality speakers you don't need a separate speaker to do the voice, because your speakers can manage the dynamic range.
So I never missed 5.1 for a second. So much so that when I moved I didn't even connect the surround and center speaker to my receiver so I went back to 2.0 on my "home cinema" as well.

Please please please re-post this here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/index.php I will buy the popcorn!

The smurfs? lol
/yawn

If a person does torrent this file and try to play it over HTPC they will have to switch modes or the 10bit color isn't going to work right.

You seem to be doing fine right now
LOL, The fact that you're unable to reconcile that someone else might give zero fucks about something you find important is not trolling. But going on a hifi forum for no other reason that to piss people off, that's the very definition of trolling.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
Yeah...this is not the first. Basically every UHD 4k Bluray has been cracked. Every single one.

No one ever complained about these being "copied". If the studios want security, then they need to get off their ass and design their own proprietary formats....stop profiting off the back of the computer industry and then complain when a computer does what it was designed to do. Computers are designed to copy data. It may do useful things with that data afterwards, but it always copies data.

78726.gif

I've still got a pile of Laserdics, just need a player to play them on, my Pioneer CLD-D925 died :(

I was curious what the sources were on some of the ones I've seen and they appear to be rips but what do I know.

This one is from two months ago.

2160p 4K UltraHD BluRay Rip
HEVC 10 Bits HDR BT2020

English Dolby ATMOS 7.1 Audio

English Subs+SDH
SPECS

Source : 4K UHD BluRay @ UHDClub (Thanks)
Format : Matroska
File size : 25.6 GiB
Duration : 2 h 6 min
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 28.9 Mb/s

Video
Format : HEVC
Format profile : Main 10@L5@Main
Bit rate : 23.1 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 1 600 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Bit depth : 10 bits
Stream size : 20.3 GiB (80%)
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : SMPTE ST 2084
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries : R: x=0.680000 y=0.320000, G: x=0.265000 y=0.690000, B: x=0.150000 y=0.060000, White point: x=0.312700 y=0.329000
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 4000.0000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level : 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level : 400 cd/m2

Audio #1
Format : Atmos / TrueHD
Bit rate : 5 198 kb/s / 7 467 kb/s
Channel(s) : 8 channels
Stream size : 4.59 GiB (18%)
Language : English

Audio #2
Format : AC-3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 640 kb/s
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Bit depth : 16 bits
Stream size : 564 MiB (1%)
Language : French

Chapters : YES

LOL, The fact that you're unable to reconcile that someone else might give zero fucks about something you find important is not trolling. But going on a hifi forum for no other reason that to piss people off, that's the very definition of trolling.

Personal preference is cool, but you also stated:
"The extra speakers cluttering the room gave almost no benefit. How could they? A movie uses the surround speakers maybe twice in a few action sequences, for about 22 seconds from the total duration of the movie? Who cares."

Which is really not accurate. ;)

I was curious what the sources were on some of the ones I've seen and they appear to be rips but what do I know.

All of those releases have used the HDfury device to strip the signal out of the stream. Basically one company has been making a device, intended for large stadiums ect who need to split content to play it on multiple screens ect. Of course the dirty pirates realised such a device could have more altruistic uses.

I guess this new smurfs release has some people convinced they may have ripped the disc without using HDfury or a box like it.

LegendSky the company in question has been in court with warner bros for awhile already. So far things seem to be going well for them... but I have faith the movie industry will find a way to crush them. Short of that they will find the right political types to buy.
https://torrentfreak.com/4k-content-protection-stripper-beats-warner-bros-in-court-1605xx/

Please please please re-post this here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/index.php I will buy the popcorn!

Although I cant speak to everyones taste - obviously the guys here - if a 5.1 system is setup correctly and you like the immersion of voices and sound coming from behind you, even for a moment, 5.1 is better. Surrround is different. Surround used two mono speakers to approximate rear stuff and dialog. 5.1 is mastered with 5 speakers in mind. With that said, a 2.1 system is a better choice than just stereo. The point 1 handles bass and sub bass so if looking at an action movie, the directors vision <soundision?> is given to your system. Boom is good - for me. Stereo, with ordinary speakers, cant do it. Now, if the speakers are of a certain quality and caliber, you actually dont miss much unless you appreciate coming closer to what you buy tickets at your local dolby theatre for.

My two cents. Mileage will vary.

Last edited:
It's hard to imagine a good reason to pirate UHD Blue-ray. It's too expensive to just leave it on a hard drive, and if you re-encode it, you may was well just pirate regular blueray, which is already a bit to big to pirate without reencoding. It's nice to have a fallback in case I loose my disk or want to watch the movie on the go or something, but I'm happy with the disks for now. Maybe once H.265 or VP10 takes off we'll see more interest in it.

Storage is cheap. Get a 8TB hard drive for ~$170. HardForums has it listed.

Now you know.

Even TV shows have stuff in the surround channels. Most movies have things in those channels throughout. It may be subtle, but it's there. I can promise you even on my PC I immediately notice when something is 2.0.

Even TV shows have stuff in the surround channels. Most movies have things in those channels throughout. It may be subtle, but it's there. I can promise you even on my PC I immediately notice when something is 2.0.
I specifically mentioned that there is something. What I meant is that it's not significant enough for me to care about it. Not once has it occurred to me that I miss surround since I switched to stereo about 2 years ago.

Although I cant speak to everyones taste - obviously the guys here - if a 5.1 system is setup correctly and you like the immersion of voices and sound coming from behind you, even for a moment, 5.1 is better. Surrround is different. Surround used two mono speakers to approximate rear stuff and dialog. 5.1 is mastered with 5 speakers in mind. With that said, a 2.1 system is a better choice than just stereo. The point 1 handles bass and sub bass so if looking at an action movie, the directors vision <soundision?> is given to your system. Boom is good - for me. Stereo, with ordinary speakers, cant do it. Now, if the speakers are of a certain quality and caliber, you actually dont miss much unless you appreciate coming closer to what you buy tickets at your local dolby theatre for.

My two cents. Mileage will vary.
Mostly agree, but while not all surround is 5.1, 5.1 is definitely surround sound (as are most atmos setups)

It's pretty easy for Louis CK to do that. His budget was roughly 250k, while that Smurfs movie was over 100 million. But OK, Smurfs 2 made money (domestic+international) at the box office, so let's just stick to domestic disk sales.

Agreed. His budget was much lower, but, he also has a much much smaller audience than a major studio full featured film.

Most of Smurfs 2's DVD sales occurred in the first 5-6 months (1.123 mil dvds @16.92). Does anyone think that sales would more than triple at $5.00/unit?
Also 82% of Blu Ray sales occurred in the first month (445,365 units @ $22.13/unit)

If if the Gabe Newell Digital Distribution model holds upf for films like it does for games, where the less you charge the more you make, then yes.

Given that the current DVD price is $5.00 and it's not a top seller, I suspect it would not.

I don't believe this is a relevant point. Things like films and games have very time based demand. The further you get from launch date the less demand there is. The lower price reflects that, but it isn't enough to make up for it.

Reactions: M76
like this
Agreed. His budget was much lower, but, he also has a much much smaller audience than a major studio full featured film.

If if the Gabe Newell Digital Distribution model holds upf for films like it does for games, where the less you charge the more you make, then yes.

I don't believe this is a relevant point. Things like films and games have very time based demand. The further you get from launch date the less demand there is. The lower price reflects that, but it isn't enough to make up for it.

Isn't enough to make up for what?

As for Louis, there's no risk. He knows he can sell 50,000 copies for the price of a rental, so there's no risk to him. My guess is he can probably sell 1 million copies at that price. But honestly, I suspect his calculus came down to a few things:
1. How much does HBO pay me for a special
2. How much do I have to charge to make my money back
3. at what price will I sell enough copies to make as much (or more) than I would from an HBO special.

That's pretty much what every product management team goes through. If studios could make more money by charging you less, they'd do it. That's literally right out of marketing 101

LOL i wear glasses and dvd rips are up to par for me. i wouldnt waste time on 50gb when they down the sound quality. sounds like krap on my HT
better off just buying the bluray and experience full feature. if i'm content w/ dvd then bluray will definitely satisfy me :D

Back