First Ultra HD Blu-Ray Torrent Uploaded, Questioning AACS 2.0 Protection

Bees

[H]ard|Gawd
Many people had forgotten that “The Smurfs 2” was released back in 2013, but a piracy group had not, as a torrent of its Ultra HD Blu-Ray home release has been spotted on a private tracker. What makes this torrent exceptional is the apparent – though unconfirmed – circumvention of AACS 2.0 encryption on the discs, designed to inhibit unauthorized parties from decrypting its media. Whatever method deployed for unlocking this protection seems to have raised quality concerns.

While the audio seems to match, the Maximum Content Light Level and Maximum Frame-Average Light Level listed in the media info appear to be different, and the colors in the screenshots are off too. This means that it’s warranted to remain reserved when it comes to definitive “cracked” claims at this time.

While many have suggested that AACS 2.0 was "unbreakable," this torrent release will likely put the AACS LA on notice for future security implementations. Maybe the consortium considered the sheer file-size of these discs a secondary protection: coming in at a whopping 53GB, the torrent of “The Smurfs 2” will take a quick internet connection to acquire in a timely manner, not to mention to requirement of a 4K display to view on.

Unbreakable in the same way the Titanic was unsinkable.

When securing something you need to plan for every eventuality, when breaking something you only need to find one vulnerability. No security mechanism will ever be foolproof.

Last edited:
There is no such thing as unbreakable.

The rightsholders should really just give up on DRM and encryption, and instead focus on improving the user experience when it comes to viewing legal content.

If they quit all of the exclusionary crap, like launching earlier in some regions than others, trying to tie a single show to changing your entire cable subscription, platform exclusives, and just make a single cross platform worldwide release on the same day everywhere, on all devices, and charge a fair price for it, people are willing to pay for content legally and support the work of the artists they enjoy.

The key is to stop making the consumers of content feel jilted and angry, and make the experience convenient, because then they will actually feel like doing the right thing and paying for it, rather than trying to stick it to the man.

Louis CK gave it a try back in 2011. He offered his latest standup special, he developed himself with his own money as a DRM free download on his webpage for $5. He broke even in sales within 12 hours, and 4 days later had sold over 100,000 copies making a nice little profit, and who knows what has happened since then, but he has posted many more videos for sale using this model since then, so it seems to be working for him.

This shows that there are users out there, who when they feel they aren't being screwed over by "the man" actually WANT to pay for the content, and will do so, even when it is excruciatingly easy to pirate it, like it was in this case.

I feel like this should be the approach to all media sold online.

Last edited:
Ya know, just last weekend I saw a torrent for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon that said UHD Bluray and was over 53Gig. So I question the firstness.

edit: ugh, smurfs?

Luckily my 4K library only consists of like 5 movies but I hope they do come out with decryption soon.

It's hard to imagine a good reason to pirate UHD Blue-ray. It's too expensive to just leave it on a hard drive, and if you re-encode it, you may was well just pirate regular blueray, which is already a bit to big to pirate without reencoding. It's nice to have a fallback in case I loose my disk or want to watch the movie on the go or something, but I'm happy with the disks for now. Maybe once H.265 or VP10 takes off we'll see more interest in it.

There are tons of 4k HDR 10 bit torrents out there. I don't think this is the first...

It's hard to imagine a good reason to pirate UHD Blue-ray. It's too expensive to just leave it on a hard drive, and if you re-encode it, you may was well just pirate regular blueray, which is already a bit to big to pirate without reencoding. It's nice to have a fallback in case I loose my disk or want to watch the movie on the go or something, but I'm happy with the disks for now. Maybe once H.265 or VP10 takes off we'll see more interest in it.

The ones I've seen are H.265 and are 8-12 gigs

No way that's the first.... 4K content has me looking to expand my 30TB drobo already :)

I don't think anyone has confirmed that the sources for previous content actually came from a uhd 4K blu ray disc, even if labelled as such. I think most of the content has actually been ripped from streaming sites. I know I'm anxious for aacs 2.0 to be cracked, not for piracy reasons, but for my own personal backup and access. Like many, I maintain my own media server of blu-ray and dvd rips. It would be nice to start backing up my 4K movies I've acquired in bundles for the eventual day that I upgrade to a 4K Display.

No way that's the first.... 4K content has me looking to expand my 30TB drobo already :)

check it:

2h AC3? What the hell is the point of ripping a blu-ray if you are downmixing to stereo? I always rip the DTS-HD tracks and just bit-stream to the receiver.

2h AC3? What the hell is the point of ripping a blu-ray if you are downmixing to stereo? I always rip the DTS-HD tracks and just bit-stream to the receiver.
Yup, same reason I will download a movie that's on Netflix if I really want to see it (versus just watching it to kill time) I hate that Netflix limits it to 5.1 there is 7.1 or atmos versions out there.

Sure, the boys in Ryan's lab can make it hack-proof. But that don't mean we ain't gonna hack it.
― Pablo Navarro

This article did make me laugh pretty hard... first ? Not even close.

San Andreas 2015 2160p UHD 4K Blu-ray x265 DTSHD from a fr source disc was one of the first I had seen back in Dec. About a week or two later it was followed by a ton of titles. Deadpool, Lucy, Life of Pi ect. At this point I am aware of around 90 broken UHD titles. Their protection has been proven lacking. lmao :) Size of the files didn't really provide all that much extra protection, sure some movies are 50gb but a lot are in the 20-30gb range which isn't all that hard to deal with.

It's hard to imagine a good reason to pirate UHD Blue-ray. It's too expensive to just leave it on a hard drive, and if you re-encode it, you may was well just pirate regular blueray, which is already a bit to big to pirate without reencoding.

what about watching it then erasing it?

that didn't seem hard

UHD BLU RAY is a dead technology... they release a new movie like nice a month

It's not dead, just most studios haven't bothered releasing 4K yet. Disney is one of those major studios that's been on the sidelines with 4K lately. 4K resolution TVs are here to stay so 1080p BR is already the DVD of this generation. It just takes time to adapt.

The rightsholders should really just give up on DRM and encryption, and instead focus on improving the user experience when it comes to viewing legal content.

If they quit all of the exclusionary crap, like launching earlier in some regions than others, trying to tie a single show to changing your entire cable subscription, platform exclusives, and just make a single cross platform worldwide release on the same day everywhere, on all devices, and charge a fair price for it, people are willing to pay for content legally and support the work of the artists they enjoy.

The key is to stop making the consumers of content feel jilted and angry, and make the experience convenient, because then they will actually feel like doing the right thing and paying for it, rather than trying to stick it to the man.

Louis CK gave it a try back in 2011. He offered his latest standup special, he developed himself with his own money as a DRM free download on his webpage for $5. He broke even in sales within 12 hours, and 4 days later had sold over 100,000 copies making a nice little profit, and who knows what has happened since then, but he has posted many more videos for sale using this model since then, so it seems to be working for him.

This shows that there are users out there, who when they feel they aren't being screwed over by "the man" actually WANT to pay for the content, and will do so, even when it is excruciatingly easy to pirate it, like it was in this case.

That's pretty much what I've been thinking and saying for many years. IMHO, Steam is a great example of this. Even though it isn't DRM free but it's very convenient to use and prices and sales are great. It definitely goes to show that people are happy to buy good products are reasonable prices given the presence of easy of use and non aggressive and transparent DRM.

I hope their are two streams in there. Since I watch a lot of content on my phone on the web I always do my encodes with 2 streams, first is a down mixed stereo from the best HD track so that it plays better on my phone and is easier to stream on my connection speed and also on the CPU (not needing to transcode audio helps some load on the CPU). I know it's not much but for the small size a stereo 192 track takes up it's worth just letting the video be transcoded. The second track is always the untouched HD audio track, for when I watch at home or in my theater. I do the video in higher bitrate, usually shoot for 8-15 mbps, and just let the server transcode down if needed for mobile but it's still very nice if I stream it locally.

I hope they break this then offer more then 1 damn HD drive for PC's, I would start ripping my 4k discs too then. I'd probably shoot for a 30 gig file size and add those to the library

I'm sitting at about 5 TB of my rips onto my server right now, starting to get to be a hassle trying to find good cheap backup options, I've already got more data then all but one of my customers at work lol, may need to step up to a 8 bay NAS next year and fill that bitch with 6 TB drives

265 is already a thing. It's a bitch to encode because it's slow as old turtles fucking but the few times I've tried it I've cut 2-3 GB off my blu ray movies. I do my encodes slow and large so I imagine it could be toned down even farther but in my case I cut off a decent amount. at least 25%. I imagine on a 4k rip I could get it to 30 gigs and tell the difference between it and 1080 still. It takes like a day to encode one movie, but more and more things already support 265 native and I can always have my server transcode on the fly if needed, but already my TV supports it so no transcoding there

I believe you can do GPU accelerated encoding but I've read a few times how that loses quality much more then a slow and steady CPU. I almost wonder if Ryzen has started to help with that issue yet, may need to look into replacing my 5820 next year if so (waiting for the bukacore chips to come out)

now they just need to increase the support for plex and 4k / high bitrate streams, I do run into some issues with my 60+ mbps rips still

265 is already a thing. It's a bitch to encode because it's slow as old turtles fucking but the few times I've tried it I've cut 2-3 GB off my blu ray movies. I do my encodes slow and large so I imagine it could be toned down even farther but in my case I cut off a decent amount. at least 25%. I imagine on a 4k rip I could get it to 30 gigs and tell the difference between it and 1080 still. It takes like a day to encode one movie, but more and more things already support 265 native and I can always have my server transcode on the fly if needed, but already my TV supports it so no transcoding there

I believe you can do GPU accelerated encoding but I've read a few times how that loses quality much more then a slow and steady CPU. I almost wonder if Ryzen has started to help with that issue yet, may need to look into replacing my 5820 next year if so (waiting for the bukacore chips to come out)

now they just need to increase the support for plex and 4k / high bitrate streams, I do run into some issues with my 60+ mbps rips still
I've been wondering about this, currently plex handles 1080p and decent audio (won't stream atmos though :( ) but I will be replacing my upstairs tv with a new 4K tv next year as it's long overdue, my current upstairs tv is a 720p rear projection beast lol. But then I started wondering how plex will handle 4K streams

There are tons of 4k HDR 10 bit torrents out there. I don't think this is the first...

check it:

This article did make me laugh pretty hard... first ? Not even close.

San Andreas 2015 2160p UHD 4K Blu-ray x265 DTSHD from a fr source disc was one of the first I had seen back in Dec. About a week or two later it was followed by a ton of titles. Deadpool, Lucy, Life of Pi ect. At this point I am aware of around 90 broken UHD titles. Their protection has been proven lacking. lmao :) Size of the files didn't really provide all that much extra protection, sure some movies are 50gb but a lot are in the 20-30gb range which isn't all that hard to deal with.

Those copy are made using a capture card and while it still give a very good result doing a rip using a capture card is not the same as breaking the encryption and doing a bit perfect copy.

"Unbreakable" security, bwahahah that's hilarious.

As long as a human made the security, another human can figure out how to exploit it.

Size as a protection? Bitch, please. Whoever thought that hasn't played a PC game in 5 years.

No one ever complained about these being "copied". If the studios want security, then they need to get off their ass and design their own proprietary formats....stop profiting off the back of the computer industry and then complain when a computer does what it was designed to do. Computers are designed to copy data. It may do useful things with that data afterwards, but it always copies data.

78726.gif

I bought Louis CK's videos when he did that. Bought that one and a couple after. Hell of a deal and worth the $5.

Give people access to it without a ton of restrictions, and at a reasonable price, and they'll go for it. I won't pay $60 for a cable subscription to watch a show that isn't available anywhere else.

Like if you have a stereo setup, maybe, did you ever think of that?

Yeah, like not charging $20-$30 for a fucking movie that someone might watch once or twice or at the most a handful of times over 5 years. You can get 10-1000 hours out of a $50-$60 game. Why should a 2 hour blueray cost twenty five fucking dollars or more on release? That shit is crazy.

Those copy are made using a capture card and while it still give a very good result doing a rip using a capture card is not the same as breaking the encryption and doing a bit perfect copy.

It's not an analog signal. So The HDCP 2.2 transmission protection was hacked.

Yeah, the raw Blu-Ray encryption is (for the moment) still untouched, but there's nothing stopping you from downloading a torrent of your movies as backup.

I think I've seen it where it's encoded as 2 channels but a compatible software or receiver can decode the bitstream to 5.1 channels

They aren't using capture cards per say... but ya a device from a manufacturer that is ok with stripping the HDCP signal from the stream. Perhaps this smurfs release really is hte first actual crack... who knows. Any security is only as good as its weakest link anyway... HDCP doesn't need to be hacked if it can be stripped out.

Valid point. However I don't know anyone that watches movies in stereo.

And you won't be downloading 50gb rips to view it on a cell phone.

Tbh you don't need to downmix to stereo. Like if you rip to mp4 or mkv, you can have multiple audio streams. Most people won't be downloading a 50GB file anyway to watch it in stereo, which is my point.

AFAIK, Those Rips are NOT based on breaking the disk encryption, but using some mechanism to record from the display and playback audio.

Which is why the Smurf release is news. It is based on breaking Disk encryption, and it has 7.1 Dolby Atmos sound.

AFAIK, Those Rips are NOT based on breaking the disk encryption, but using some mechanism to record from the display and playback audio.

Which is why the Smurf release is news. It is based on breaking Disk encryption, and it has 7.1 Dolby Atmos sound.

Their have been UHD "rips" up since Dec. that have Atmos and DTS tracks. Some releases have lower quality 5.1 and perhaps eve 2.0 English tracks if they come from other regions where the higher quality audio wasn't English. That and a few of the groups seem to have either been lazy or released 2.0 for some reason. Most of them have used the HDfury device.

Their have been UHD "rips" up since Dec. that have Atmos and DTS tracks. Some releases have lower quality 5.1 and perhaps eve 2.0 English tracks if they come from other regions where the higher quality audio wasn't English. That and a few of the groups seem to have either been lazy or released 2.0 for some reason. Most of them have used the HDfury device.

It's pretty hard to tell what the sources are for these Rips. Zeus is a big source and from everything I read, he is not breaking the encryption. Some Zeus rips are later filled in with higher quality audio from Blu Ray.

If an in the loop source like Torrentfreak believes this is the first full crack of AACS 2.0, there is reasonable chance this is correct.

Back