First try at Dual Boot, need help

Light1984

Gawd
Hey all,

I just purchased a second drive and I got a copy of Windows 7 from Microsoft. I have three drives total, one with XP, one with Windows 7, and one storage. They are all SATA. I can change which one the computer boots to via the bios, but I dont know how to make it give me an option when it boots without having to go into the bios every time. I have seen it before, in fact my work laptop has an option of either xp or recovery console. Is there any way to make it so I have that option(boot to xp or windows 7) when the computer boots, even though the OSes are on two separate drives? Let me know if there is any more info you need about my system.

Thanks

Windows 7 should have automatically created a multiboot menu when you installed it after XP. If it didnt then you can download EasyBCD and add them manually.

If you have installed Windows on entirely separate drives, that is the best method to keep everything simple.
To boot from the other drive, change the boot drive in the BIOS.

Have you tried booting after installing Windows 7 on another drive? It should automatically give you the option without any need for BIOS changes.

All three drives are installed, and two of the three contain OSes, one with XP, one with 7. Boot up gives me no option for which one I want, it will simply boot to which ever drive is number one in the bios.

Try a "boot repair" with your install disk. I cannot recall the specifics, but this is how it goes with Vista - basically boot of your install DVD and choose "repair" (NOT install).
You should get some repair options and one of those should allow you to do a boot repair, which should repair the boot manager/loader and in doing so, recognize your XP install.

I have no idea if this feature even exists in Win 7 or if it is function yet since Win 7 is still beta.

im dual booting windows7 beta and xp,yup it works great.

on my asus board if you hit f10 it gives a boot menu you can choose a drive to boot from,not sure all boards have this function though.

Back