First trailer for Tetris movie could not be more ’80s if it tried

erek

[H]F Junkie
Cool Movie about rights

"It’s an incredible tale that forms the centerpiece of David Sheff’s classic book Game Over, which chronicles Nintendo’s early rise. The film, directed by Jon S. Baird, seems to take a pretty broad approach to the material, drenching it in ’80s pop needle drops, car chases (for some reason), retro game effects reminiscent of the dreadful Adam Sandler vehicle Pixels, and Egerton tearing up as he describes “the perfect game.” Still, it’s fun to see legendary figures of the early video game business portrayed on screen, such as odious British media tycoon Robert Maxwell (Roger Allam), smooth Nintendo of America boss Howard Lincoln (Ben Miles, who gets to do a wonderfully silly and dramatic Game Boy reveal), and terrifying Nintendo president Hiroshi Yamauchi (Togo Igawa).

Tetris will stream on Apple TV Plus from March 31."

Source: https://www.polygon.com/23602638/tetris-movie-trailer-release-date-apple-tv-plus

When I first heard of this project it was described as a "live action Tetris movie", not a film about the creation of and rights to the game.

I was picturing something like this:

lrgscaleFDMCCULTET-MSTR.jpg

The real thing makes a little more sense. :p

Amusingly enough I fired up Tetris on the old Game Boy for the first time in - oh - maybe 30 years. I got to level 11 :p

(though I wasn't really trying that hard)

PXL_20230217_023842926.jpg

Last edited:
When I first heard of this project it was described as a "live action Tetris movie", not a film about the creation of and rights to the game.

View attachment 549771

Amusingly enough I fired up Tetris on the old Game Boy for the first time in - oh - maybe 30 years. I got to level 11 :p

View attachment 549772
nice gameboy

This is the best story of Tetris that I have seen up to this point:

Bonus: Robert Maxell, whose fortune ended up with Jeffery Epstein and later Sam Bankman-Fried, is featured in this as even he was a part of Tetris.
This is the version of Tetris I have for the Sharp X68000, and have even beaten it!

x68000-tetris-back_.jpg

Only thing I really remember from that whole story is Nintendo was in one room and Sega was in the other both trying to secure the exclusive rights. I don't remember hearing about the whole Jason Bourne style chases through Russia The Soviet Union though.

Only thing I really remember from that whole story is Nintendo was in one room and Sega was in the other both trying to secure the exclusive rights. I don't remember hearing about the whole Jason Bourne style chases through Russia The Soviet Union though.
1676649997874.png

View attachment 549771

View attachment 549772
Your hands look soft. What’s your daily regimen for moisturizer?

This is the best story of Tetris that I have seen up to this point:

Bonus: Robert Maxell, whose fortune ended up with Jeffery Epstein and later Sam Bankman-Fried, is featured in this as even he was a part of Tetris.
This is the version of Tetris I have for the Sharp X68000, and have even beaten it!

View attachment 549798

The gaming historian guy does a pretty good job with his stuff. I've watched most of his videos including that one.

It's Cyrillic, not Latin.
No its not. The cyrillic letter you are thinking of is "ya". It sounds nothing like an R, and so cannot be used in the place they put a backwards R in "tetris".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ya_(Cyrillic)

If it was cyrillic then you would have to pronounce it "tetyais" (assuming all of the other letters are latin).

Tetris in Russian:
Тетрис

No its not. The cyrillic letter you are thinking of is "ya". It sounds nothing like an R, and so cannot be used in the place they put a backwards R in "tetris".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ya_(Cyrillic)

If it was cyrillic then you would have to pronounce it "tetyais" (assuming all of the other letters are latin).

Tetris in Russian:
Тетрис
While you are technically correct, Tengen used it in their marketing because of the Russian origin. It looks like an 'R' to English speakers and people make the connection with the image of Red Square on the box. It has nothing to do with proper pronunciation.

While you are technically correct, Tengen used it in their marketing because of the Russian origin. It looks like an 'R' to English speakers and people make the connection with the image of Red Square on the box. It has nothing to do with proper pronunciation.
Agreed. And for many people who read/write with cyrillic letters and also read/write with latin letters it makes them cringe.

Back