First timer looking to build high end gaming desktop

Fortunately they charge a flat rate of $30 to diagnose a machines hardware at this shop I went to. It'll certainly cost more to finally fix this when we figure out what I need to buy, but at least for the shop it should be $30 max I believe. Off to grab the new PSU, I'll keep you guys posted and thanks for the continued support.

Man - assembling PC's can definitely go bad. I always feel like I need to meditate before I install a new CPU.

Yeah hahaha I know the feeling now! I wanted to somehow take even more time and be more cautious but I ran out of ideas :p

Read through this thread over breakfast, just wanted to stop by and give my support. I was wondering at first why a thread from '09 is on the first page of this forum, but now I know lol.

I am rooting for you ksot! I'd like to say good job for sticking with it this whole time and trying to do things yourself. That's the only way you learn, and I think you have come a long way since '09. Good recommendations by everyone, especially Danny Bui.

Thanks Bigsurprise :)

FANTASTIC NEWS ALL!!! The new PSU worked!!! I guess PSU incompatibility was the problem all along. I wonder if Corsair sent me a defective replacement... Guess I'll find out when I try to use it with the G1. Normally I'd take this new PSU back to bestbuy and get a replacement online but apparently bestbuy has competitive prices on these things.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153158

Bought that model for $135 at BB :)

Yayyy! Time to set up the new system.

Last question (hopefully for another 4 years at least :p). I figure since I have two PSUs now and every other part needed to have two functional systems, I might as well go ahead and buy a second graphics card for the backup system (after I confirm the G1 mobo and all other parts work, of course). Can anyone make a suggestion on an older model that'll support dual monitors and limited gaming? It doesn't have to be as good at the GTX295 I originally bought.

You guys are the best!

Last edited:
Grrrrr, can't get my Windows Vista 64 to load from my hard drive. I keep getting a BSOD on startup. I put in the disc to try to repair it but I get a message saying "The version of system recovery options is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of windows." No clue why it says that. It's the same disc I installed windows with on this drive.

Last edited:
Last question (hopefully for another 4 years at least :p). I figure since I have two PSUs now and every other part needed to have two functional systems, I might as well go ahead and buy a second graphics card for the backup system (after I confirm the G1 mobo and all other parts work, of course). Can anyone make a suggestion on an older model that'll support dual monitors and limited gaming? It doesn't have to be as good at the GTX295 I originally bought.
HD 7750 for around $80 to $90.

Grrrrr, can't get my Windows Vista 64 to load from my hard drive. I keep getting a BSOD on startup. I put in the disc to try to repair it but I get a message saying "The version of system recovery options is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of windows." No clue why it says that. It's the same disc I installed windows with on this drive.
Meh, just do a reformat and reinstall.

Yeah good call. I'm currently installing it on my secondary HD so I can grab some things I need from the original then I'll do a fresh install :) Might even buy windows 8 even though I hate it, hehe.

Thanks for the recommendation and your unrelenting helpfulness Danny!

Sigh... you'd think I'd realize by now not to believe I'm home free until I actually am. I've never experienced so many issues simultaneously in my life!

1 - My network adapter won't install, so I can't get onto the internet to update things I need to.

2 - I tried to use EZTeather from my smart phone to get internet but when I install it I get an error message saying "a certificate chain could not be built to a trusty root authority" whatever that means.

3 - The PC won't recognize the GTX 295. It was tested when I brought it into the shop last time and was working, I haven't so much as touched it since. All I can get is the onboard graphics to work. I checked device manager and the GTX doesn't show up there at all. I looked in Bios and it was set to boot the slot it's in first. It is plugged in correctly as far as I can tell, and the light on it is green, not red, which indicates it's working in my experience. I read up and want to try updating the bios, but I can't because I can't get on the damn internet. I guess I will try downloading it on my laptop, sending it to my phone, then to my PC.

4 - In the meantime I'm reinstalling Windows because more than half the time I boot it I either get a message saying "interactive logon process has failed. Please consult the event log for more details" or another message I forget that says something like "failed to load desktop" and then I don't see any of the folders I put there when it boots.

Just unreal how many issues I'm having with this build. Bout to pull my hair out!

Stayed up all night working on this. Got the internet by transferring drivers through my phone, did all of the windows updates which seemed to fix all of the minor windows crashing issues... but I still can't get the graphics card to work. Windows recognizes it in control panel and I installed the latest drivers for it, which both seem like positive things. I called gigabyte for some support and we tried disabling the onboard graphics hoping it would recognize the GTX295 but it didn't work. Then he said I probably need to update the bios, but sadly on the website we found they don't even support Vista anymore >_< So he advised against trying to do it through their web service because it could corrupt the bios. He basically said I HAVE to buy a flash drive in order to try it... so byebye more money! I'm just gonna order Windows 8 along with it I guess. Gotta go back to the laptop till they get here, how frustrating!

Will update in a few days when the stuff arrives.

Hmmmmmm a lot of reviewers seem to loathe Win 8 as much as I did the one time I used it. Should I just get Win 7 instead? Decisions decisions...

There is the new Windows 8.1 coming out. Check up on it to see if it will improve Windows 8

Hmmmmmm a lot of reviewers seem to loathe Win 8 as much as I did the one time I used it. Should I just get Win 7 instead? Decisions decisions...

My two cents. I'm a self professed Windows hater. I dislike, for example how difficult it is to resolve problems with MS Exchange, as opposed to working with open source Linux/BSD alternatives. That said, I still need Windows on the desktop, and my OS of choice is Windows 8. It takes some time getting used to, but no big deal. Just watch a half hour of youtube videos and you'll be good to go. Some minor annoyances, such as powering down takes an extra keystroke. So the current version of Windows 8 is fine, no need to wait until 8.1. Just go with it. I suggest that you leave some room to install a second OS - such as Debian, Mint or Ubuntu. I prefer Debian these days. You must install Windows first, then install the Linux. It comes in very handy having a second OS for trouble shooting and to get access to additional apps.

Thanks for the advice.

I got my Windows 8 and flash drive today. Updated my bios with gigabytes help anddddd.... nothing :(

Their new last resort advice is to try a different graphics card. I don't have one... I guess it's back to best buy for me.

*cries*

Back from best buy with a brand new Radeon R7850. I've always preferred Nvidia but I figured I should buy a Radeon for testing just in case it's another compatibility issue. I just have to say, even though it's ugly and foreign I'm loving how quick Windows 8 is compared to Vista, it's astonishing. I also noticed that in the win8 device manager it shows me a yellow exclamation mark next to the GTX295 and in properties under device status it says "windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)" which I guess means it's broken after all? Or could it just be a compatibility issue? I've been googling the error message and tried a few things people suggested but nothing seems to help. Who'd have thought my motherboard PSU and graphics card would all break at the same time...

Worst part is that I'm supposed to be on a "lifetime warranty" from BFG tech, the company I bought the GTX 295 from, but they went out of business. Lovely! I don't suppose Nvidia would be of any help? Can't even find a support phone number for them. Guess I'll email them to ask.

Now to test the Radeon. Fingers crossed!

Ok yep... the Radeon worked right away. At least I now have the final solution needed. I was just hoping to not have to buy a COMPLETELY new PC lol. Ouch, my wallet :(

Based on your collective expertise would you guess the GTX295 is dead? I wonder why the computer shop I brought the old desktop to didn't tell me that, especially since they went out of their way to test the PSU and everything. I guess when the G1 mobo arrives here I can test it in that setup to be certain.

If the GTX295 IS in-fact dead and Nvidia won't replace it, I will need a new good video card I suppose. Can you recommend one off the top of your head Danny (preferably nvidia but meh, I've come to learn you know best :p)? I read a review on the bestbuy page for this Radeon card saying it's short one fan and impossible to get manufacturer support for, so I will definitely be returning it. I can't really afford to spend $500 for a top of the line card like last time, but I would like something decent obviously.

Thanks so much. I'll update you guys when the G1 motherboard gets here.

Man, I have no idea how you've managed to have this much bad luck. Are you like a saint throughout the whole year and this is how karma repays you? :D

(yes I know some of that is mixed up)

Anyway, go for the GTX 760 or the GXT 770, depending on what you can afford.

Heh, yeah I have no idea whos toes I stepped on to run into so many problems... at least I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. Definitely going to go for the 760, I don't really have any desire to play top of the line games like I used to so it should be more than enough. Thanks as always Danny.

By the way, does it sound to you like the 295 is dead? I sooo want to believe it's just a bizarre compatibility issue I can fix :(

By the way, does it sound to you like the 295 is dead? I sooo want to believe it's just a bizarre compatibility issue I can fix :(
There's certainly evidence to say that card is defective. But try the card in another PC if you can.

Yes classic shell is a life saver, another friend told me about it, thanks!

The bad luck continues, I'm starting to suspect I've been scammed by the guy with the G1. Anybody here know the user Thorian88? http://hardforum.com/member.php?u=245626

Granted it took over a week to set up Amazon Payments and verify my bank account to send him money through no fault of my own, but this delay in shipping seems pretty unacceptable. Here's a transcript of our PMs to each other after I sent the money. I had already given him my address BTW.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

08-23-2013 HIM
that's fine, i'll have it shipped tomorrow evening
what's your address?

08-24-2013 ME
Address removed

09-03-2013 ME
Hey there,

I was just wondering if you had a tracking number for it? Just worried it got lost.

09-03-2013 HIM
sorry for the late late late late response... sheesh. I just shipped it out.. I know it's been forever.. been in the hospital...

09-03-2013 ME
Aw sorry to hear about that. Can I have a tracking number for it?

09-12-2013 ME
It is now 7 business days since you claimed you sent it. I have not received my item nor heard a peep from you. What gives?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems like he's vanished. He is selling other things in that forum. Is there somewhere I should report him or do you think I should give him more time?

I have a really dumb question: My case fans are 3-pin fans. My mobo has only 4-pin headers. When I plug the 3-pin fans into the 4-pin headers, does it matter which pin is left open?

I have a really dumb question: My case fans are 3-pin fans. My mobo has only 4-pin headers. When I plug the 3-pin fans into the 4-pin headers, does it matter which pin is left open?

If you look at the pin plug on the fan, it will have a slight C shape to the bottom. The fan headers on your motherboard SHOULD have a standing up bit of plastic behind three of the pins that slide neatly into that C shaped form, leaving one pin open.

If you look at the pin plug on the fan, it will have a slight C shape to the bottom. The fan headers on your motherboard SHOULD have a standing up bit of plastic behind three of the pins that slide neatly into that C shaped form, leaving one pin open.

Exactly. There's only one way to insert the connector.

Next time you should go to a store like micro center, for a small fee they will assemble your computer and have it up and running. I also heard that they have free clinics. It will probably cost something like 30 for assembly but in your case it would have saved you a lot of time and money.

Good advice silk, but I did enjoy the sense of accomplishment from doing it all myself and the learning experience is always a plus :)

I am so pissed off. Not only did Thorian88 never send the mobo after nearly a month, he knew the Mobo was broken!

http://www.overclock.net/t/952542/g...owners-discussion-info-club/550#post_20374804

I swear I am like a magnet for scammers. Worst of all, overclock won't even let me tell the story there since they have a policy of not posting details of a trade from another forum. So he's free to continue scamming people over there... Ridiculous!

Back