First timer looking to build high end gaming desktop

5.1? huh? you have a 2.1 speaker system. ;) all you need to do is plug in the wire from the sub into the green audio port (line-out) in the back, and set up your audio for Stereo, ask Prometheusg mentioned.

I think you mean pages 112-113 and they didn't help me. I think you are right about front-stereo because that is the only way i could get it to play sound when I tested the speakers... but that is the ONLY sound it plays. When I test the realtek audio output I just get silence. The headphones work fully via USB so I've been doing that for the last 2 days =/

Not muted since I can hear it on headphones.

Don't use winamp anymore now that WMP hides right in the taskbar so snugly. Is there something similar I can check in WMP? Mind you nothing from any website plays either so it's not just MP3s that aren't working or whatever else I'd use winamp for.

Thanks for your help guys, I hope we can solve this mystery.

Yay! Just had to go into control panel/sound and set the speakers to the default device instead of the realtek digital imput. Score 1 for random button pressing!

Blurry useless pics still on the way my friends being lazy, don't think I forgot!

Ugh... just when I think the problems are over.

Now the sound from the speakers is very high pitched and echos a lot. Never heard anything like it... very strange. It's like everyone I listen to sucked in a bunch of helium.

Right click realtek in taskbar > audio devices > speaker properties > enhancements > settings were set to "sewer pipe" by default lol...

Switched it to nothing and we're A-ok now. Woot!

See guys, I'm at least slightly competent!

Crappy phone pics with tons of wires in the way and special added orange tint of unknown origin, as promised.

Thanks again for all the help everyone, especially Danny Bui. You're the best.

Yes it was lol... and then transferred to my friends blackberry which gave it the Martian tint, then to my email.

I had a digital cam that I was going to use but either it's broken or I'm too dumb to get it out of blurry mode.

Four years of flawless computing the motherboard finally went dead =/

I took it to a tech shop they said the PSU failed to load a different machine about 3/15 times so it seems thats failing too. They said it may be the cause of the MB dying, does that sound possible to you?

Anyway since it's time to replace and my motherboard is out of production, can you guys possibly suggest a new one? New PSU also? And since I've got the wallet open I'd also like a new casing, something with fans already built in so I won't ever have to worry about cooling?

The PSU is still under warranty. So I would just RMA that PSU back to the manufacturer. As for the motherboard, how badly do you need the PC up and running?

Hey Danny! Still around I'm glad :)

Great to hear about the PSU! I'll definitely get that sent in.

I use the PC for work (poker) every day and I'm pretty much lounging on it when I'm not working, so the sooner the better. I was getting some advice on overclock forums and they're saying it's gonna be tough to get a mobo that is compatible with my CPU. I'd obviously rather not have to buy a new CPU as well, but I'll do whatever it takes.

Thanks!

I went to Gigabytes site and got a CPU list for possible replacements.

Everything was discontinued except these two:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...33&Tpk=gigabyte g1 assassin&IsVirtualParent=1

Which is a little more than I wanted to pay but still far cheaper than new Mobo + CPU. There do seem to be a lot of complaints in the reviews though o_O

Then this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128551

Half the price but no warranty so it's probably risky. Will this work since it's Intel 1155 and not 1366? The list I got from gigabyte doesn't specify which models of the sniper would or wouldnt work.

Would you go for either of those?

Last edited:
I was getting some advice on overclock forums and they're saying it's gonna be tough to get a mobo that is compatible with my CPU. I'd obviously rather not have to buy a new CPU as well, but I'll do whatever it takes.

That's why I asking how badly you need the PC up and running. The advice you got is prety much right: It will be tough to find a mobo that's both compatible with your current CPU AND is actually cost effective (under $150). You basically have to buy used at that point from eBay, Craigslist, or even the FS/FT subforum we have. However, looking at the FS/FT subforum, it appears that not many people are selling LGA 1366 motherboards in the past month.

So basically, if you want a cost-effective setup with new parts with a warranty, you're also looking at a new CPU as well. However, Intel is planning on releasing their new Haswell CPUs and socket LGA 1150 mobo in June to July of this year. Those will be incompatible with any current Intel CPUs or mobos out now. As such, if you're going to have to buy a new CPU and motherboard, you might as well as get the latest socket and CPU which will be the Intel Haswell.

So can you wait until June-July? If you can't, are you willing to get a really cheap stop-gap CPU and mobo (probably less than $120) and then upgrade to Haswell (probably another $300+) later on? Alternatively if you don't want to do all that and really need a new system now, go for the Core i5 3470 CPU and Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H motherboard.

EDIT: Neither of those Newegg links work. And no, LGA 1155 will not work with LGA 1366. You need LGA 1366.

Well, I am going to Vegas for most of June to play the WSOP and I will only bring my laptop with me so... fair enough, I will hold out until you say. I'll keep an eye out for the new Intel CPU then come back for help again :)

Oh and sorry fixed the links, though pointless now I suppose.

Edit: oh crap I just realized I bought my PSU off buy.com cause it was cheaper. I sure hope it had a 5 year warranty I can't find anything about it in the order receipt, nor is it showing in my order history on the site O_O

Double edit: Whew, Corsair covers it themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok thanks, I'll just wait. Hopefully it's sometime in June rather than July :)

The reveal of the new haswell series CPU will be in june. You have roughly about a week and a half left before they reveal it.

I'm guessing it's out now then? What would be a good motherboard/cpu to buy? I'm also interested in a beastly new case with prebuilt fans. Thanks all.

Core i5 4570 CPU
Asus Z87-A Intel Z87 Motherboard
8GB DDR3 1333 or DDR3 1600 RAM rated at 1.5V for under $60.

I recommend the following cases:
$60 - Corsair Carbide Series 200R ATX Case
$80 - Corsair Carbide Series 300R ATX Case
$90 - Corsair Carbide Series 400R ATX Case
$100 - Antec 1100 ATX Case
$110 - Antec P280 ATX Case
$100 - Fractal Design Define R4 Arctic White ATX Case
$112 - Fractal Design Define R4 with Window Arctic White ATX Case
$100 - Lian Li PC-7HX Black Aluminum ATX Case
$110 - Corsair Carbide Series 500R ATX Case
$120 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-002GR Black Finish w/Green Trim Full Tower ATX Case
$120 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White ATX Case
$126 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black ATX Case
$120 - Corsair Vengeance Series C70 Gunmetal Black ATX Case
$120 - Corsair Vengeance Series C70 Arctic White ATX Case
$135 - Fractal Design Define R4 with Window Black Pearl ATX Case
$135 - Fractal Design Define R4 with Window Titanium Grey ATX Case
$140 - Corsair Obsidian Series 550D ATX Case
$144 - Silverstone RV03B-W ATX case
$144 - Silverstone RV03B-WA ATX case
$160 - Corsair Graphite Series 600TM ATX Case
$165 - Corsair Special Edition White Graphite Series 600T ATX Case
$168 - Silverstone TJ04B-EW ATX Case
$167 - Corsair Obsidian Series 650D ATX Case
$230 - Silverstone FT02B-USB3.0 ATX Case
$240 - Silverstone FT02S-W-USB3.0 ATX Case
$245 - Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW ATX Case

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Take advantage of this combo deal:

$340 - Intel Core i5 4670K and Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H combo

As for RAM, here's one of many good choices:

$65 - Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 2x4GB DDR3 1600

The list of good RAM manufacturers includes A-DATA, G.Skill, Corsair, Mushkin, Kingston, and Crucial/Micron.

That does look pretty sweet, I think I'll buy it. Let me know if you would advise against his suggestion please Danny.

For future reference, whatever Tiraides recommends something, I trust his recommendations 99.99% of the time. And this is one of those 99.99% times :D

Coolness, bought :)

New Mobo, CPU, RAM and case all for $560, not too shabby.

Last edited:
Grrrrr, installed it all same as last time but it won't turn on. It keeps power cycling on and off infinitely. I never get a picture though. Any ideas? I can bring it to the local tech shop for $30 diagnosis if need be, Possibly a dead part?

Oh also, the heatsink I bought for the original computer doesn't seem to fit in this one. The screws don't match up to the holes nor do they screw into it. The CPU came with a small fan of it's own with little plastic clips that pop into the holes, but I imagine that won't be enough and I need a new model of heatsink? Thanks.

Now it's not powering on as much as it was at first. A little light comes on, some fans whir, then it shuts down and doesn't turn back on until I flip the power switch off and on.

Sorry to keep spamming, but now it's sort of turning on halfway then just hanging there. Only half of the fans work and the video card won't light up. I tried plugging the monitor directly into the video card but alas, nothing.

step 1 - check that all fans come on (check cpu fan plug has cpu fan in it)
step 2 - reseat ram and any cards 1 at a time between power ons

All fans do not come on even though they're all plugged into system fan pins on the mobo. What does that mean? I tried reseating the RAM, I'll have to try the card.

Did you install the heatsink and CPU correctly?
Reset CMOS?
Tried the system outside of the case?

Did you install the heatsink and CPU correctly?
Reset CMOS?
Tried the system outside of the case?

I'm pretty certain I installed the CPU correctly, but the heatsink I had for the original build doesn't fit in this one. Can you point me to one that will fit this board? The screws from the other one don't even screw into the holes. The CPU came with a small fan that I attached with like... plastic things that poke through the holes and snap into place.

I'll try resetting CMOS and pulling it all apart and testing barebones tonight.

So we're all on the same page, please confirm whether you're reusing all of the following parts:

Also, which case did you end up choosing?

I'm re-using those except for the heatsink which won't fit this mobo, and the video card. I went with a GTX 295, as recommended by someone else ITT, due to my positive experiences with Nvidia and negative ones with Radeon over the years.

For the case I chose the CoolerMaster HAF X.

Any idea why some fans would work but others wouldn't?

Back with more info tonight when I can tinker some more.

Thanks all!

I'm pretty certain I installed the CPU correctly, but the heatsink I had for the original build doesn't fit in this one. Can you point me to one that will fit this board? The screws from the other one don't even screw into the holes. The CPU came with a small fan that I attached with like... plastic things that poke through the holes and snap into place.
Have you been running the PC without a CPU heatsink?

Only for seconds at a time in an attempt to get it running. I was planning to leave it off until I got a replacement heatsink, but I haven't been able to get it to post in the first place. Why, is it a terrible idea to boot it briefly without one?

Doh...

Can you point me in the direction of one that would fit? I don't really know what qualification to look for. I figured they were universal until yesterday.

Last edited:
Back