First time I've ever had an issue in 10 years -- advice needed, pics inside

collegeboy69us

Supreme [H]ardness
So I sold my 27" Qnix monitor here in this thread (pics inside) (Sold to Nannerbeans: Noobie)

FS: Qnix 27" 1440p panel. Debezeled, VESA mount, pixel perfect

Panel was working just fine (as you can see by the whites in the time on the screen) - seller paid, i covered extra for insurance on my end (Shipping was 38 dollars) Cardboard screen protectector, double boxed with air packs, paper, and stryofoam peanuts. Pics here:

There was actually more paper packing and peanuts than pictured, just didn't snap pics of it.

Monitor arrived - with no damage to the box, no cracked screen, some scratches on one side from the cardboard rubbing on the plastidip (it was debezeled)

Issue seemed to be a red tint as shown by the buyer in this pic (my monitor is on the right)

It's a korean monitor, Dual Link DVI only, 27" 1440p, sold for 130ish + shipping.

Tried walking him through some steps like loading a proper ICC profile, or using a program called color sustainer that keeps the proper profile for the proper monitor loaded all the time, etc etc. Didn't seem interested in trying any of that. *shrugs*

I put insurance on it, but since there was no damage to the box, I'm assuming im SOL in that ave. They seemed to think that I could make an insurance claim on it after they send it back to me? And im pretty sure that's not how it works. I don't have a problem accepting a return... and doing a refund, but I'm trying to see how i can not get screwed out of $40 and getting what might be a broken monitor back.

My heatware just to prove my 100% record over the years: Reviews/Feedback for collegeboy69us | HeatWare.com

Reviews/Feedback for collegeboy69us | HeatWare.com

So how do you guys seeing this play out? I'm pretty sure if/when I get the monitor back, it's more of an issue with them not installing the proper profile or configuring things properly. I'll be less upset if this turns out to be true because at least I'd have my good monitor back.

They already instituted a Paypal case because "they need this resolved instantly because they are moving". uhhh okay.
I'm sure I could take the dick route but I want this resolved in the best way for everyone, so I'm asking for advice on how to proceed?

Seems the easiest way is to open a FedEx claim and send them the pics - i insured it for 200, value+shipping was only 165. I just don't know how/when the process needs to happen since he's already opened a PayPal ticket over the matter.

Thoughts?

I don't know how it will end, but I have seen color difference's:
Using a dif cable / videcard and not insuring cables fully seated.
Any pics of monitor in action?, that would be more telling.
Also I have xstar version and seen slight variances between vidcards.

Best case refund his money and get monitor back. Then evaluate if monitor is damaged or defective. Monitor could be fine. Follow appropriate actions afterwards. Remember this a business transaction since he's already started an action for remedy.

Might be he needed money for move, no way of knowing.

Good luck.

I don't know how it will end, but I have seen color difference's:
Using a dif cable / videcard and not insuring cables fully seated.
Any pics of monitor in action?, that would be more telling.
Also I have xstar version and seen slight variances between vidcards.

Best case refund his money and get monitor back. Then evaluate if monitor is damaged or defective. Monitor could be fine. Follow appropriate actions afterwards. Remember this a business transaction since he's already started an action for remedy.

Might be he needed money for move, no way of knowing.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply - whether it's defective or not, I have no problem accepting the return, I just have never been in the situation of maybe being out $40 for nothing... I contacted paypal about the thing, I don't have a problem them issuing the refund on my behalf, as long as they deduct the amount of shipping off of it so I'm not screwed over 100%

This is why I refuse to sell anything that costs more than $20ish in shipping charges, or anything fragile, unless it's a rare occasion where reward outweighs the risk.

Only thing you can really do is refund him, and hope for the best. If you receive a broken monitor, definitely file a claim. I don't think whether the box is damage or not has any bearing on claims. For example, mishandling a package containing glass could lead to damage without dinging the box.

If you don't receive anything back, you'll have to hope the bastards at Paypal have mercy.

In my opinion the monitor is probably fine, it looks like there's just a color temperature difference between the two monitors. Probably more noticeable in the pic than it is in real life.

I don't know why he didn't try to work it out with you before jumping straight to file a claim with PayPal. Since he did that, I would definitely wait to see what PayPal say before doing anything.

In my opinion the monitor is probably fine, it looks like there's just a color temperature difference between the two monitors. Probably more noticeable in the pic than it is in real life.

I don't know why he didn't try to work it out with you before jumping straight to file a claim with PayPal. Since he did that, I would definitely wait to see what PayPal say before doing anything.

This is why I refuse to sell anything that costs more than $20ish in shipping charges, or anything fragile, unless it's a rare occasion where reward outweighs the risk.

Only thing you can really do is refund him, and hope for the best. If you receive a broken monitor, definitely file a claim. I don't think whether the box is damage or not has any bearing on claims. For example, mishandling a package containing glass could lead to damage without dinging the box.

If you don't receive anything back, you'll have to hope the bastards at Paypal have mercy.

Yeah - just never been in this situation before. Not trying to screw anyone over, and the insurance is there for a reason. Just frustrating that he seems so quick to want a refund and not even try to go through insurance (that I paid extra for out of pocket) so he gets his money back and doesn't have to deal with sending a monitor across the country again.

Since he's been unwilling to try anything I've suggested outside of fiddling in the control panel... it doesn't give me high hope he will return it via the same method (insured fedex so I could file a claim should it arrive jacked up) Worst case in my mind paypal gives him his money back and he sends it the cheapest shittiest way not caring if it arrives safe back to me on my end.

I'm also guessing he didn't really know what he bought either -- it's a debezeled korean monitor, no built in scaler... he was complaining the "buttons dont' work" when the only buttons on the thing are power (works), volume up/down (doesn't work because there's not a speaker) and a brightness button you have to hold to actually notice a difference. It's not a user friendly monitor but that's by design, the fact he didn't even try to use the proper ICC profile is annoying as well. The metal frame has been plasti-dipped flat black (because it's the bare metal frame out of the plastic bezel housing). in the end it was a 27" 2K display that does 96Hz for $130... when I think he was expecting dell quality fit and finish. Combined with the fact he's done no suggested trouble shooting, or just doesn't know how to setup individual monitors... ugh. People.

the user clearly did not know what he was purchasing.. off colors are almost standard with a korean budget monitor, and color calibration/tweaking are a must.

I have color temp differences on my Dell IPS monitors. A little annoying if I think about it, but otherwise, they are fine. I could have shipped one back, etc. but it's not worth my time nor headache in the end.

There is quite possibly nothing wrong with the monitor, and there is no reason you should take a loss because of his unwillingness to try and resolve the problem

so If the buyer is unwilling to try and resolve his issues with a bit of troubleshooting on his end , I would deny a refund.

since he filed a claim, you may be forced to refund, but personally I wouldn't do it willingly.

2 can play the dickhead game.

No point fighting it, as PayPal will pretty much always side with the buyer -- he'll send them that picture, say "it's not supposed to be red, it's broken, seller won't give me money back" and they'll force the refund.

Take the $40 loss and chock it up to a learning experience, sadly.

Also never trade with a newbie again for anything above $50 or that's at all fragile. If you'd been working with an established trader here they would have at least tried the ICC profile stuff.

I do have to agree, though it matters little in the grand scheme. The buyer didn't do his due diligence. Throughout my years of selling through various outlets (mostly ebay, except in recent years), I've come to realize that the buyer is a fickle beast, and if it requires any effort on their part, the likelihood of the seller being screwed is high.

K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) strongly applies here.

so If the buyer is unwilling to try and resolve his issues with a bit of troubleshooting on his end , I would deny a refund.

since he filed a claim, you may be forced to refund, but personally I wouldn't do it willingly.

2 can play the dickhead game.

This. It would be totally different if you weren't willing to help troubleshoot, but it sounds like this noob wanted a complete plug-in-play experience for a cheap price and is totally unwilling to work with you. He's making this difficult, so you should make it difficult as well.

If you insured it to him, just have the buyer ship it back, file the claim, and resell it. You really don't have any other option since they involved paypal. Paypal will just force the refund down your throat and leave your account with a negative balance. Anything you're out will be covered by the insurance. I'm not sure if it is the same with Fedex, but on USPS you can request an amount from the insured value. Example, the bezel is cracked, but the monitor works fine. In that case you could request $40.00 to order a replacement bezel to repair the monitor.

I was a seller of a V1 Radar detector which worked perfectly fine when I had it. The guy received it and said it didn't work. I told him there is no way it didn;t work and asked him to try the other cable that was sent with it. Well he never responded again after all that, except each time continues to say it doesn't work. Paypal sided with me and forced him to keep the radar. So saying Paypal doesn't side with the seller is not true. Just have all your proof in hand and you are fine.

I will say DO NOT REFUND him till you receive your monitor back. Paypal will also tell you this.

I was a seller of a V1 Radar detector which worked perfectly fine when I had it. The guy received it and said it didn't work. I told him there is no way it didn;t work and asked him to try the other cable that was sent with it. Well he never responded again after all that, except each time continues to say it doesn't work. Paypal sided with me and forced him to keep the radar. So saying Paypal doesn't side with the seller is not true. Just have all your proof in hand and you are fine.

I will say DO NOT REFUND him till you receive your monitor back. Paypal will also tell you this.

you are the only person ever to have paypal side with you as a seller.

I learned from someone else that sells a lot on here, if you can afford to eat it dont sell it. plenty of times ive had to eat it on transactions some of my stupidity and some on others, personally just give the idiot his money back and move on, someone else will be willing to buy it im sure, and next time charge for shipping on those types of items.. shipping is to expensive to give away if you cant flat rate it,

Reactions: File
like this
I sold Nannerbeans, the "noobie" in question, a pair of EVGA 780TI King|Pin GPU's awhile back. I had them on a water loop and when I disassembled them I must have not gotten all of the distilled water out of one of the blocks when I packaged them up - noob mistake that will never happen again. Upon arrival the GPU had condensation all over it - from being in the static bag and shipping. Nannerbeans messaged me and stated he would air them out for several days. I prepared for the worst and nothing ever happened. He had the perfect opportunity to soak me (pun intended) but didn't. In fact within a month or so he bought $500 worth of Amazon gift cards from me.

TLDR, I had zero problems with Nannerbeans on 2 transactions totaling more than $1200 - one of which I could have easily had a problem that would have been my fault.

Sorry you had a bad transaction but I don't think he's a bad [H] member.

Gah I should of just bought that monitor from you and had dual 27" Korean monitors. Would of saved you the headache. Curse the 980TI for only having one DVI port.

Sounds like the buyer just didn't want to mess with any calibration or settings. He just wanted to plug it in and have it work perfectly. How you can have 2 different makes of monitors match perfectly without any adjustments is beyond me.

Never dealt with Nannerbeans. Dealt with Collegeboy69us and he was prompt and very friendly. So, I'd hate to see him get negative feedback or be out any money.

Back