First time Fallout 3 / Oblition GOTY madness - which mods?

uacn8

Weaksauce
Well because of my business laptop I slept over few years and just recently got back into casual gaming. I'm riding on 5870M now with some other decent hardware inside and I'm in a need of getting my homework done.

I just bought GOTY's of Fallout 3 and Oblivion, these games will make my summer a bit more happy.

I know the nexus sites, but there's like a thousand of mods floating in the air. So - which mods are totally essential to have fun with, which ones are recommended, and which to avoid?

For a fresh, unknown Bethesda adventure.

Kudos for your feedback!

There's a big old thread floating around here somewhere about oblivion mods. I would check that out.

I joust got fallout myself so I'm not sure on mods for that one. I know there's a graphical/high res improvement mod. A good google search should bring that up.

Sorry I couldn't help more....I'm on my droid :)

Gl
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Yeah, the Oblivion thread is good for those mods.....

For fallout, get the NMC textures for sure. If your system stutters, then use that site to get the stutter remover mod.... or get the lighter version of NMC's textures.

If you're more hardcore, and you want more damage, more realistic aiming, timeslow, sprint, more rare loot, and other sorts of realism gameplay overhaul, then get FWE. (Btw, you can customize a lot of setting midgame)

If you get stutter remover or FWE, then you need "Fallout Script Extender" too.

IMO if its the first time you're playing the game(s) then go light on the mods, use the ones which remove the consolitis (like the UI ones etc) and the ones which make minor adjustments which cater to your tastes (like the ones which allow you to carry as much loot as you want without being encumbered, or texture packs etc) - but gameplay wise you might want to experience the game as it was released by the devs, at least once.

Of course there are some very awesome mods available for those games - but the large high end ones come with their own problems - the primary one being instability/crashing due to the absolutely horrible game engine which doesn't even cull polygons properly.

the TES nexus is the holy grail of every TES player.

there's just too many good ones to pick from, but texture packs are definitely at the very damn top of your list. Also pick some mods that add more quests and places to visit in the game, that makes it a lot more fun.

Good luck just getting the game to work. I gave up already. Issues with Vista and especially Vista 64 bit, issues with VC++, issues with quad core.

WTF? Why isn't the game FIXED by now?

Good luck just getting the game to work. I gave up already. Issues with Vista and especially Vista 64 bit, issues with VC++, issues with quad core.

PEBKAC

This fixed things for me:

In FALLOUT.INI (located in Documents / My Games / Fallout3) find bUseThreadedAI=0, and change it to bUseThreadedAI=1. As well, add a new line below it that reads iNumHWThreads=2 . By default Fallout 3 tries to run as many threads as you have cores since it's a multithreaded game, but quite often has a tendency to hard lock on CPUs with more than 2 cores (eg. Phenom II X3, X4, Core 2 Quad, Core 2 Extreme, Core i7)

Yeah I am just trying to get the game to launch atm I saw that fix too. Just burnt out on games with issues. I have plenty. Almost every game I get off of steam lately will not launch until I figure out how to get it to work. Usually, it is a simple launch as admin from the X86 steam file. Not this time. Lots of steps and sacrificing of chickens.

Hope most folks have an easier time of it. XP just wasn't this bad ever. Win 7 any easier?

Go help yourself to some ice cream. I am not an idiot.

The damn game has WAY too many issues still.

Dude, I bought the game in 2006 when it first came out, in fact, I spent 3 grand on a rig just to play this friggin game. In the 4 years since the game's release, it's only crashed on me a small handful of times, and often that was when I attemped to tab out of it.

I worked on every single computer I've had since then, from that high powered rig, to a budget desktop I built a while back, to this laptop I'm posting off of now.

If you can't get it to work, it is YOUR problem, not the game's problem. YOU, are the problem, not the game. DO RESEARCH to fix the problem. You are supposedly/allegedly a PC gamer, and with that, comes with a certain amount of personal responsibility, most games you can install just fine and play without a problem, but there will always be SOME games that you have to troubleshoot problems with to get it to work. ALL of us have had to do it at one time or another, but I can't remember someone whining this much about getting a game to work in a long ass time.

For every game that has problems for users, the answer is almost always a simple Google search away.

Posting and whining about how you can't get it to work without doing ANY research just shows how ignorant you are.

You're still using Vista? Windows 7 has been out for a long time now, upgrade.

Jesus Herschel Christ, I swear, some people, PEBKAC virus infected.

thetruth, are you speaking of Fallout3 or Oblivion? Fail is assuming you're talking about Oblivion, but I think you're talking about Fallout3. Also, make sure Games For Windows Live is updated to 3.3, because if it's not, that can cause problems with Steam games.

Fail, I wouldn't defend Bethesda on their quality control. They rely far, far too much on the community to fix their problems for them, and they abandoned Fallout3 even worse than they did Oblivion. Players shouldn't need to know THIS much. I am running Nvidia drivers 188.25 to avoid hitching in Fallout3; later Nvidia drivers (all of them) introduce serious hitching (not fixed by Fallout3 Stutter Remover), and I have come to suspect this is not Nvidia's fault but instead is Bethesda making assumptions about drivers that they shouldn't have.

Dude, I bought the game in 2006 when it first came out, in fact, I spent 3 grand on a rig just to play this friggin game. In the 4 years since the game's release, it's only crashed on me a small handful of times, and often that was when I attemped to tab out of it.

I worked on every single computer I've had since then, from that high powered rig, to a budget desktop I built a while back, to this laptop I'm posting off of now.

If you can't get it to work, it is YOUR problem, not the game's problem. YOU, are the problem, not the game. DO RESEARCH to fix the problem. You are supposedly/allegedly a PC gamer, and with that, comes with a certain amount of personal responsibility, most games you can install just fine and play without a problem, but there will always be SOME games that you have to troubleshoot problems with to get it to work. ALL of us have had to do it at one time or another, but I can't remember someone whining this much about getting a game to work in a long ass time.

For every game that has problems for users, the answer is almost always a simple Google search away.

Posting and whining about how you can't get it to work without doing ANY research just shows how ignorant you are.

You're still using Vista? Windows 7 has been out for a long time now, upgrade.

Jesus Herschel Christ, I swear, some people, PEBKAC virus infected.

Your entire post boils down to you saying that you have not had problems with the game, therefore the game cannot have any problems. And then you proceed to insult the person who actually does have issues.

Your extreme ignorance is somewhat understandable I guess. Seeing that you never had problems with it, you would have no reason to read up on what kinds of problems people faced with the game. Your shortsightedness and arrogance on the other hand is inexcusable. The fact that you cannot imagine that someone else could be having problems that you didn't face and your immediate conclusion that said person is an incompetent idiot instead of considering the reasonable alternative that there may indeed be something wrong with an incredibly complex piece of software just shows how small a person you are.

Here's some anecdotal evidence for you... the Bethesda technical support forums had 13,000 threads in it 3 months after release. That's a thousand threads per week on just one of the places where people might ask for help. Yes, I checked. Yes there were repeated threads. Yes, there were also multiple people who posted their problems in the correct thread. But since the game is so flawless, in your world all those people are idiots I suppose?

I am not assuming that Fallout 3 and Oblivion have no problems, that's not the case, I'm merely saying that if he is having problems he should do a few Google searches to troubleshoot himself a solution instead of whining about it.

In fact, at first I had problems getting Fallout 3 to install, but I Googled a solution. If I can do that, then so can he!

I am not assuming that Fallout 3 and Oblivion have no problems, that's not the case, I'm merely saying that if he is having problems he should do a few Google searches to troubleshoot himself a solution instead of whining about it.

In fact, at first I had problems getting Fallout 3 to install, but I Googled a solution. If I can do that, then so can he!

Uh, I have done searches. I am following the fixes. The point is that there should not be an unstable .net beta 3.0 STILL in the install files. There should be a patch for the quad core issues, etc. Not that I can't fix the shit, just that I should not HAVE to jump through hoops to get there. That's my point. It gives PC gaming a bad rap.

Although it appears that this game had issues on the 360 and PS3 too lol.

Anyway, still not getting the game to even launch yet. Not sure why. I do have issues with most of my Steam games though. Thinking about just doing a fresh OS install anyway.

For those having hitching issues with NVIDIA cards, try setting the number of frames to render ahead to 0 in the NV CP. This solved the hitching issues during camera rotation for me.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Is there any way to make Fallout 3 use a newer version of .net?

The only quad core fix I know of is to open fallout.ini and where it says "busethreadedai=0", change it to a 1 and in the line below that type "iNumHWThreads=2". Without the quotations, of course.

Anyway, still not getting the game to even launch yet. Not sure why. I do have issues with most of my Steam games though. Thinking about just doing a fresh OS install anyway.

Make sure Games For Windows Live is updated to 3.3; you can check by launching GFWL from the Start button. If that still doesn't work, uninstall it and download the new client.

Meh, tried to start playing Fallout 3 again, this game is bugged to death, now i remember why i didn't go through with it

Make sure Games For Windows Live is updated to 3.3; you can check by launching GFWL from the Start button. If that still doesn't work, uninstall it and download the new client.

It is updated. I did that for Batman just days past. It is a process of several steps which is why I am pissed. I do not mind one or two hoops but we are on number 4 and the game still isn't even launching lol. Going on vacation this week anyway so F it for now. Thanks for the help and support.

Back