First thoughts of my new iPod Touch.

GRAFiZ

2[H]4U
Ok, got the 8gb version today, got it home, after jumping through all the hoops to get it up and running (you know Apple, hell, I'm not even done totally setting it up), anyways, I am VERY much impressed.

Work of art.

Honestly, even if you don't care about MP3's, you're going to want this little machine simply for the internet connection it provides.

I know where I live, finding free wifi "hot spots" is easy, taking this bugger outside, sitting down and being able to quickly navigate through all of my favorite websites is nothing short of amazing. The formating and display of regular websites is incredible. Easy is the word to use.

As you all know it rotates automatically to landscape, providing plenty of reading space. If you want to see something in more detail, just swipe your fingers and it zooms in and reformats. Simply amazing.

Typing is a breeze, plus it guesses VERY well at what you're trying to imput. Smooooooooth.

Videos play well, sound quality is great, screen is crystal clear... on and on.

One thing that I LOVE is the ability to wirelessly connect to iTunes. I just spent several minutes searching for and listining to 30 second clips of songs I havn't heard in years. All while lying in bed, no wires, no nothing.

Small, thin, sleek, it's pretty much perfect.

The only improvement I would want is some form of open source connection to allow copying of files directly without itunes.

Most people will argue "It's too expensive!" or "Not enough storage!"

BS people, play with this thing for a few minutes and then tell me it's too expensive, fact is, it's too cheap.

As for storage, pfft, I can toss more music on there then I'm going to need day to day, and with room for TV shows or movies to spare.

So, I tip my hat to Apple, as I said, my only complaint is the reliance on iTunes for everything, but if you get past that, you're not going to find a better portable device then these little doohikies are. :D

Thanks for the mini-review. Was this thread typed and posted through your iPod Touch? I was planning on getting one, but I am hoping someone will buy it for me for Christmas... :cool:

Thanks for the mini-review. Was this thread typed and posted through your iPod Touch? I was planning on getting one, but I am hoping someone will buy it for me for Christmas... :cool:

Nah, I typed it using my computer... although I am very impressed with the input on the iTouch, it's really very intuitive.

I want to add the wifi is incredible, it's finding wifi networks I had no idea even exsisted and when it connects, it keeps the connection well, if it drops it, it'll reconnect quickly.

Just flat out impressive.

Yeah the purchase through iTunes thing is wild, I heard that BuckCherry song "Crazy Bitch" on the radio, rolled in home and had it purchased from my wireless router from my driveway.

Yeah the purchase through iTunes thing is wild, I heard that BuckCherry song "Crazy Bitch" on the radio, rolled in home and had it purchased from my wireless router from my driveway.

Exactly, in my opinion that really makes this product. The ability to tap into their library of music, find what you want... preview it on the fly, buy it and listen to it all via wifi is incredible.

I am nothing short of impressed by this device.

I'm no apple fanboy by any stretch, but this thing is the future of portable technology, to doubt it's value in the future of all product design would be a huge mistake.

I want to add the wifi is incredible, it's finding wifi networks I had no idea even exsisted and when it connects, it keeps the connection well, if it drops it, it'll reconnect quickly.

Just flat out impressive.

My brother said the same exact thing when he got his iPhone because he'd always lose connection with his PC but didn't have any problems with the iPhone.

If you get the chance, put it side by side next to an iPhone and see if the colors, specifically the black levels, are off. There is word on the web that some of the screens are not up to par; I don't know if it was a bad batch or if it is systemic. Gizmodo had an example of this comparison up.

If you get the chance, put it side by side next to an iPhone and see if the colors, specifically the black levels, are off. There is word on the web that some of the screens are not up to par; I don't know if it was a bad batch or if it is systemic. Gizmodo had an example of this comparison up.

Yeah, I don't have an iphone in front of me, but when playing around in the apple store, I don't really see any remarkable differences between the two devices, so I'd assume it's simply due to a different supplier or perhaps a bad batch.

You're exactly the kind of customer Apple loves - programmed and promoting. ;)

Ok, got the 8gb version today, got it home, after jumping through all the hoops to get it up and running (you know Apple, hell, I'm not even done totally setting it up), anyways, I am VERY much impressed.

Work of art.

Honestly, even if you don't care about MP3's, you're going to want this little machine simply for the internet connection it provides.

I know where I live, finding free wifi "hot spots" is easy, taking this bugger outside, sitting down and being able to quickly navigate through all of my favorite websites is nothing short of amazing. The formating and display of regular websites is incredible. Easy is the word to use.

As you all know it rotates automatically to landscape, providing plenty of reading space. If you want to see something in more detail, just swipe your fingers and it zooms in and reformats. Simply amazing.

Typing is a breeze, plus it guesses VERY well at what you're trying to imput. Smooooooooth.

Videos play well, sound quality is great, screen is crystal clear... on and on.

One thing that I LOVE is the ability to wirelessly connect to iTunes. I just spent several minutes searching for and listining to 30 second clips of songs I havn't heard in years. All while lying in bed, no wires, no nothing.

Small, thin, sleek, it's pretty much perfect.

The only improvement I would want is some form of open source connection to allow copying of files directly without itunes.

Most people will argue "It's too expensive!" or "Not enough storage!"

BS people, play with this thing for a few minutes and then tell me it's too expensive, fact is, it's too cheap.

As for storage, pfft, I can toss more music on there then I'm going to need day to day, and with room for TV shows or movies to spare.

So, I tip my hat to Apple, as I said, my only complaint is the reliance on iTunes for everything, but if you get past that, you're not going to find a better portable device then these little doohikies are. :D

You're exactly the kind of customer Apple loves - programmed and promoting. ;)

Hardly... I just give credit where credit is due, and this product deserves credit.

However, I really wish it was more "open" and "free". I'd love to just copy music and movies to it without the use of iTunes or anything like that.

The thing I think it's missing (unless I'm missing something) is the ability to watch streaming video on the web. I would give quite a lot to watch NasaTV streaming onto something like this in Safari. Any idea if that's possible - even if I have to set up my own page to load with safari with something embedded?

Doug

The thing I think it's missing (unless I'm missing something) is the ability to watch streaming video on the web. I would give quite a lot to watch NasaTV streaming onto something like this in Safari. Any idea if that's possible - even if I have to set up my own page to load with safari with something embedded?

Doug

From what I've seen so far, this is not possible. Only YouTube.

However, wouldn't surprise me if soon enough someone creates an applet for it.

Still 8gb is killing me....I have over 20gb of music and really want to have it all with me. I think the ipod touch looks really neat, but I am not going to spend more than any other MP3 player to only be able to carry around a bit of my music.

Plus I already have a PDA with a 3.8" screen that can do all the web/wifi stuff so I guess I dont need it unless they up the storage!

I'm glad you think 8GB is acceptable. As an out of work DJ and a guy with over 1TB of video files, I need a *lot* more than that before I'll think about this device.

It is purty though.

Almost bought one myself the other day, but opted out. IMO, this isnt worth the price for the ammount of storage when it's labelled first as an MP3 player.

Instead went for the new 80gb iPod Classic. Much better choice on my part after tinkering with both in the Apple store.

can i ask how you got one already? i thought they dont come out until sep 30? I have one preordered at apple.com but they are already out?

can i ask how you got one already? i thought they dont come out until sep 30? I have one preordered at apple.com but they are already out?

By me saying that I "almost got one the other day" was me saying that I almost put my money down on one at the Apple store. I was able to play around with the one they had on display there however.

They were quietly released at the Apple store last week, I believe and now can be found at other stores like Best Buy etc. The official release was suppose to be the 28th.

I don't get why people say things like I have a PDA or it's not enough storage then get a Classic. Or it's too expensive-it's the same argument that people make with the HDD based and NAND flash based iPods. The Touch is a great device with an incredibly intuitive and fun interface and a first for an iPod-yet people still complain. If you look at Apple's line up, it's very diverse, which makes the complaining even more strange. Also, if you look at the battery life with the current iPods, you can see why the Touch is flash based and not HDD based. With current technology, a HDD based Touch would have horrible battery life and guess what, people would be complaining, even more so.

I went to my local Apple store in Reno, NV and they had them already. I was actually pretty surprised to see them this early.

They're in stores already, AFAIK they never said Sept. 30. I'm not sure what the availability is like, but its definitely relatively widespread already.

They were quietly released at the Apple store last week, I believe and now can be found at other stores like Best Buy etc. The official release was suppose to be the 28th.

I don't get why people say things like I have a PDA or it's not enough storage then get a Classic. Or it's too expensive-it's the same argument that people make with the HDD based and NAND flash based iPods. The Touch is a great device with an incredibly intuitive and fun interface and a first for an iPod-yet people still complain. If you look at Apple's line up, it's very diverse, which makes the complaining even more strange. Also, if you look at the battery life with the current iPods, you can see why the Touch is flash based and not HDD based. With current technology, a HDD based Touch would have horrible battery life and guess what, people would be complaining, even more so.

People complain because right now the touch function is nothing more than a gimmick. They can get the same package (sans the wifi) in an iPod Classic that has better storage for multimedia and music storage. Yes... I have over 30gb worth of MP3s on it already, and the count is rising.

People complain because they are paying more money for less.

They're in stores already, AFAIK they never said Sept. 30. I'm not sure what the availability is like, but its definitely relatively widespread already.

They didnt say Sept. 30, but they did say Sept. 28. It says it right on the Apple webpage when you click on the iPot Touch.

People dont realize they are paying more for less, they see that they are paying more for a smaller number vs. a larger number. What people dont realize is that they are paying for the R&D costs of those new "fun" items like wifi, touch screen etc. They dont care they just see a new toy and want to pay the same price, if not lower, than the current model. Its like going to a car dealership and getting pissed because you are paying extra for the "luxury" model but you want the base model price. All those extra gadgets cost more for the manufacturer and in turn that cost is reflected in the cost to the customer....:eek:

People complain because right now the touch function is nothing more than a gimmick. They can get the same package (sans the wifi) in an iPod Classic that has better storage for multimedia and music storage. Yes... I have over 30gb worth of MP3s on it already, and the count is rising.

A gimmick? Have you already tried a Touch/iPhone and spent time on one before labeling something a gimmick? Not to mention in a thinner case. The only thing the Classic has is more storage due to the HDD and better battery life due to the thicker casing. Again people complaining about less [storage] yet the Touch is the one everyone seems to be buying and talking about. I have 350GB+ of music and TBs of videos yet I'm not complaining because most people don't need that much on the go. If that was the case, people would be complaining about the 160GB Classic because it's just not enough. Like I said before Apple has a diverse line up of iPods for everyone and priced accordingly.

People complain because right now the touch function is nothing more than a gimmick.

A gimmick?

OK.

Show me YOUR design for a portable MP3/video player with a 3.5" screen that has a full-featured web browser and Wi-Fi built in that's 0.3 inches thick and weighs just a hair over 4 ounces.

I can't wait to see what kind of control scheme your design has that's superior to the direct touch interface.

They didnt say Sept. 30, but they did say Sept. 28. It says it right on the Apple webpage when you click on the iPot Touch.

Bwhaha... don't even know where to start with this one.

You're so way off.

Anyways, you sound like someone who wants something, can't have it, and tries to find ways to justify hatred towards it to ease your mind.

Unreal, a gimmick? And SANS the wireless and any other non mp3 or video playing functionality I believe you mean? Wireless store from my mp3 player in itself is useful enough for me to have this, I can hop on at work and grab a cd i dont feel like stopping for on the way home and then listen to it in my car. Not to mention I can check my email or browse the web while having lunch at work. How's youtube function on the non touch models? It doesnt. Yes these are wireless functions or things associated with this functionality but you give it alot less credit than you should. I will also take my larger widescreen display over what the video had, im not knocking the video but personally I prefer this at this point in time. Just to add to this, ill put what i can in the 16gb of storage and Ill just stream whatever I dont have with me via wifi at work from my home box =)

Local Best Buy in Dallas had them...was hoping to play around with the demo model, but someone decided to put a password on it. :(

My point, and it still stands, is that I really like the touch but I wish it had more storage space...it is the most expensive iPod so far and yet it just seems a little lacking in storage.

Too bad really, I probably would have bought one if they had more storage....but for $299 and 8gb I would rather get a Nano since there are other devices that can surf the web in a small package better than the touch.

I am sure it will sell like crazy though..since it is an iPod :rolleyes: :D

I think 32GB is going to be the sweet spot for me with these things.

Once that happens, I will pick up an iPod MegaTouch or whatever the heck they're called then.

Til then, my 8GB Nano will have to do.

I wouldn't be so sure about the hacks. I have been watching the itouch IRC for a few days and the guys are really struggling with it.

The product works for some and not for others. Take it or leave it.

I'd pay the extra $50 for just the huge screen. But it also has wifi and touch! and it looks so damn cool. This thing is a steal!

Indeed, Apple's stepped up the their device from an 'MP3' player to a beast of a portable machine. Yes, it needs storage.Yes, that's a large compromise. But folks, you've got to remember that such a full and rich mobile web-browser was not 'widespreadly' available until the iPod Touch came out. And I say 'widespread' because not everyone is liking the $400 price tag + $60/month to get the same thing on the iPhone minus EDGE, which sucks in most places anyway.

I'd go for it, but I listen to 0 music. I don't think that the mobile web experience and interface alone is worth $300 :p

I would casually use it for mp3s, but you're right on about the portable powerhouse. I would want to use it for a lot of other stuff that apple isn't to fond of allowing right now :/

Back