Contrast Ratio (Max) : 2500 :1
Viewing Angle (CR≧10) : 178°(H)/178°(V)
Response Time : 4ms (Gray to Gray)
Display Colors : 16.7M
Flicker free
Curved Panel : 1800R

Trace Free Technology : Yes
Color Temperature Selection : 4 Modes
GamePlus(modes) : Yes (Crosshair/Timer/FPS Counter/Display Alignment)
Low Blue Light : Yes
HDCP support :
GameVisual :8 Modes(Scenery/Racing/Cinema/RTS/RPG/FPS/sRGB Modes/MOBA Mode/User Mode)
FreeSync™ technology supported
Display Widget
Extreme Low Motion Blur
GameFast Input technology

VA + strobing back-light can turn out pretty well.

https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/ROG-Strix-XG35VQ/

100 Hz is fast enough to strobe the backlight that you shouldn't have eye-strain. It will be interesting to see how quick the pulses are on ASUS's new "ELMB" and how bright it can get for extreme motion clarity.

Pre-ordered on Amazon and will post my thoughts upon receiving.

Reactions: Skott
like this
The price is definitely right, lower because it's Freesync I suppose. Let's hope that VA panel can keep up.

BTW, your thread title says "XG35VG" but it's "XG35VQ". I was wondering why I couldn't find it on Amazon when I searched for it :)

The strobe is independent from freesync, right? Can't have both?

It may work at something like 80 Hz, but most likely 100 Hz. 100 is the lowest I like to go without any visible flicker. 80 is starting to get noticeable.

It may work at something like 80 Hz, but most likely 100 Hz. 100 is the lowest I like to go without any visible flicker. 80 is starting to get noticeable.

What I was trying to ask is if strobing is disabled at refresh rates besides 100hz. Or if there is a range. Like, could I create a a 90hz refresh rate in CRU, and have the monitor strobe at 90hz?

https://www.techspot.com/review/1487-asus-rog-strix-xg27vq/

According to them it is dim and on that monitor it works 85-120 Hz.

Cool thanks for finding that.

Assuming they tested it in the room they took the pictures in, of course it looks dim. When you have mid-day sunlight pouring in through multiple windows, any monitor that isn't set to torch mode is going to look dim. I bet low-blur mode looks fine in a light-controlled environment.

Yes, I don't put much stock into these large tech-site mini reviews.

Looks nice. One thing that I hate about switching from AMD to Nvidia after all these years is the shitty selection of G-Sync monitors compared to Freesync ones.

The strobe is independent from freesync, right? Can't have both?

Considering the theory, implementing both at the same time would be challenging. If it were done well, it would still likely incur a lag penalty, as the strobe has to know the incoming frametime.

And extra lag sort of defeats the purpose ;).

Considering the theory, implementing both at the same time would be challenging. If it were done well, it would still likely incur a lag penalty, as the strobe has to know the incoming frametime.

And extra lag sort of defeats the purpose ;).

Yeah, it seems difficult if not impossible. This is where dynamic resolution scaling would come in handy. Titanfall 2 does this really well.

It is but not sure why you'd want both though. Once you start hitting 80fps and lower it's going to turn into a flicker show.

Not necessarily true, it could double strobe at lower framerates. I know that comes with its own perceptual issues but given it would only happen when your fps minimum dips super hard it's probably not so bad.

The common conception is that ULMB+Gsync is some crazy thing that can't or shouldn't be done, but actually Nvidia is working on it and it's allegedly possible to enable it on certain monitors but I don't own any of the noted models and haven't tried it myself. Vega probably knows more about it than I do since he is active in that thread on Blur Busters forum!

I know it can be done but given the monitor's max refresh of 100Hz it's just a tough sell. If we had say, ULMB that only activates between 80-165fps on a 1440p 165Hz monitor then simply goes into sample and hold mode below 80Hz that would seem like a better idea, for me at least.

Strobe+VRR is coming. Heck you can do it now but it is buggy.

It may. I cannot remember if ASUS is one of those brands that advertises when their monitors have an "overclock" setting.

Panel Size : Ultra-wide Screen 35” (88.98cm) 21:9
Color Saturation : 100%(sRGB)
Panel Type : VA
True Resolution : 3440x1440
Display Viewing Area(HxV) : 819.4 x 345.9 mm
Display Surface Non-glare
Pixel Pitch : 0.2382/ mm
Brightness(Max) : 300 cd/㎡
Contrast Ratio (Max) : 2500 :1
Viewing Angle (CR≧10) : 178°(H)/178°(V)
Response Time : 4ms (Gray to Gray)
Display Colors : 16.7M
Flicker free
Curved Panel : 1800R

Trace Free Technology : Yes
Color Temperature Selection : 4 Modes
GamePlus(modes) : Yes (Crosshair/Timer/FPS Counter/Display Alignment)
Low Blue Light : Yes
HDCP support :
GameVisual :8 Modes(Scenery/Racing/Cinema/RTS/RPG/FPS/sRGB Modes/MOBA Mode/User Mode)
FreeSync™ technology supported
Display Widget
Extreme Low Motion Blur
GameFast Input technology

VA + strobing back-light can turn out pretty well.

https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/ROG-Strix-XG35VQ/

100 Hz is fast enough to strobe the backlight that you shouldn't have eye-strain. It will be interesting to see how quick the pulses are on ASUS's new "ELMB" and how bright it can get for extreme motion clarity.

Pre-ordered on Amazon and will post my thoughts upon receiving.

Looking forward to your review Vega.

ASUS already has the MX34VQ which is pretty good. Samsung panel.
I guess this one will use an AU Optronics panel?

This is the closest the main brands have come to Cirthix boards.
I love it is VA.
I love it is ULMB.
I love it is 35".
I love it is cheap.
I love how it solves the flaming war between ULMB lovers and VRR lovers by offering both.

But i do not buy monitors without seeing pursuit camera images.

TFTCentral has one in for review. Should be interesting.

Back