First startup Asus ROG Strix Z690-E mobo issue with post

Iowabucks

Limp Gawd
Hey everyone. Just booted up a computer I finished building just the other day. Only the 3rd one I have ever built and I've been out of the loop for awhile so go easy on me if it's something stupid. Lol. Last one I built was 12 years ago and still going strong.

Here's a parts list.

Asus RoG Strix Z690-E
Intel Core I9 12900K
Corsair 5000D Airflow
Corsair ICUE H150i LCD liquid CPU cooler.
Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600, 64GB.
EVGA Supernova P6 1000w PSU
EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti FTW3 GPU

Turn it on,it will post but nothing shows up on monitor for 6 minutes, than this. It will let me into bios. What could be the issue with it not posting properly?

Attachments

• IMG_20220405_232507_01.jpg
    IMG_20220405_232507_01.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
disconnect all the extra drives and peripherals. how many sticks of ram 2 or 4? maybe knock it down to one for troubleshooting. do you have the aio on the cpu fan header?

disconnect all the extra drives and peripherals. how many sticks of ram 2 or 4? maybe knock it down to one for troubleshooting. do you have the aio on the cpu fan header?
I will have to check the aio connection. Would that make that big of a difference? I combined two new sets of ram to get 64gb. 4 X 16gb. Maybe the two are not compatible, even though they should be the same.

I will have to check the aio connection. Would that make that big of a difference? I combined two new sets of ram to get 64gb. 4 X 16gb. Maybe the two are not compatible, even though they should be the same.
it could and its complaining about it.
yes it could cause issues. the label may say they are the same but different batches can have different chips. you may need to boot with one set, increase the ram and vsoc voltage a bit and then try all 4. use 2 for now to see if it will post normally.

The computer was failing post and booting into safe mode. I changed all mobo settings to default optimal settings and it boots and posts fine. But I can see that changing much at all in the uefi will make it go right back to no post or boot into safe mode.

Now I'm loading windows and trying to figure out how to get windows to recognize my NVMe drives. It see's them in uefi.

The computer was failing post and booting into safe mode. I changed all mobo settings to default optimal settings and it boots and posts fine. But I can see that changing much at all in the uefi will make it go right back to no post or boot into safe mode.

Now I'm loading windows and trying to figure out how to get windows to recognize my NVMe drives. It see's them in uefi.
Got windows installed. Now on to drivers. Bios seems really flakey though. Seems like you change much of anything from optimal default settings and it won't post.

I can't find an 0604 BIOS revision on ASUS's page for the Z690 E (which is what your screenshot shows)

I'm guessing your board shipped with the super early firmware, and I remember some people reported weird issues with early BIOS models on some alder lake boards.

Try updating your BIOS to the latest version.

Last edited:
I can't find an 0604 BIOS revision on ASUS's page for the Z690 E (which is what your screenshot shows)

I'm guessing your board shipped with the super early firmware, and I remember some people reported weird issues with early BIOS models on some alder lake boards.

Try updating your BIOS to the latest version.
Should have been his first move honestly.

Looks like there are actually two errors in the bios screen in the OP.

The first one I normally get when there is a memory related error. Update the bios as Asus did adjust DDR5 compatibility with later bioses.

The second one is a CPU fan error. Not sure how your fans on the liquid cooler are setup. I normally plug them into the CPU fan header(s) to avoid errors like this. That board should have a dedicated AIO pump header also.

Sorry I can't figure out how to delete it.

Now I'm loading windows and trying to figure out how to get windows to recognize my NVMe drives. It seems them in uefi.
You need to update the bios. NVME drive issues are common with the early bios for Alderlake motherboards.

Could be a RAM compatiblity issue. see if you can get the bios updated and the problem might go away.
https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z690-e-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_bios

Note that the bios has to be renamed, before Asus's flashing utilities will recognize it. I don't know why they don't just.....name it that way in the first place. Its really dumb.
Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (SZ690E.CAP) using BIOSRenamer."

Could also be a problem with the RAM, itself. I recently got a bad set of Kingston Fury Beast 5600mhz DDR5. It would cause the computer to go about 90 seconds before showing the post screen. And then in windows, Amazon Prime streaming would freeze a few seconds after starting a video stream. Elden Ring was way more stuttery than usual and would have sound errors. Disabling XMP to run it at the stock 4800mhz did not help.

I got another set of the exact same RAM and everything is great, now. Even easily overclocked it to 6000mhz.

Last edited:
Back