First ,Star Wars:The Old Republic video

I'm pretty excited about it, especially since they said there's a lot of single-player action as well. I'm not huge into MMOs, but a good balance between the two would be great

I read something on Kotaku about it being Microtransaction based. (for payment)

I don't know exactly what they will do, but I hope it works.

The idea of paying 5 bucks for a new lightsaber concerns me.

But if it's more like...you have reached lvl 10 and can venture into the new level 10 to level 20 areas, five dollars please. Well that might not be so bad. (kind of like 'mini-expansion packs')

I read something on Kotaku about it being Microtransaction based. (for payment)

I don't know exactly what they will do, but I hope it works.

The idea of paying 5 bucks for a new lightsaber concerns me.

But if it's more like...you have reached lvl 10 and can venture into the new level 10 to level 20 areas, five dollars please. Well that might not be so bad. (kind of like 'mini-expansion packs')

Well if micro transactions are true, and while I haven't done a whole lot of research on the game since I don't think it will be out anytime soon. The video stated that there will be choices that will change the storyline for your character permanently and since there is no saving in an MMO and taking the other choice....you have to start over to see the rest.

So in either case, micro transactions would kind of suck..having to buy a new lightsaber every character you have. But to gain access to a different level set of zones, I would hope that the zones are different. And not the same ones you did when you did the good side choice or vice versa with a different story and at the end you kill the guy instead of ..........talking him down or some such.

So I guess if you buy something on micro trans and it effects all your guys the same, then good. If you gotta buy em per char, then it will get iffy unless the levels and experience really are different.

When I watched the video I was trying to see if it had any really cool combat scenes, but didn't see anything too spiffy. I did see one guy force push something away, but I couldn't tell if that was the killing blow and the thing was dead or if it was just stunned on the floor. Would like to see force leaping onto far away targets and light saber deflections killing targets. They've got a lot to work with there, mind control, environment control....didn't see any of that when I watched. So hopefully it'll pop up in their videos later.

This could be really cool, but it probably won't be. MMO's don't usually have all the combat and actual fighting to appeal to real gamers. They are just chat rooms with fancy GUI's. A shame because KOTOR was so good; I wish they were making KOTOR 3 instead.

I'm sure it will look a lot better around release. This is all pre-alpha stuff, they should be able to polish pretty well hopefully.

About micro-transactions, Shacknews was a little more in depth rather than kotaku's site. Decided to look into this, apparently Mr. Riccitiello's comment's were misunderstood and EA stepped in to explain that they still have no business model yet.

"We are continuing to stick to the plan relative to building out our direct-to-consumer models which include microtransactions and subscriptions," said EA CEO John Riccitiello in a conference call today. "The recent launch of Warhammer [Online] is a great example of that."

Not quite sure why he said that, as WAR is a subscription only game. I suppose he doesn't really know what he's talking about, hence why EA came and issued an update to the sites that were reporting this. If they do end up with micro-transactions instead of a subscription, I don't really believe you would buy single smaller items. I think it would be more along the lines of new territory, as in zones. Something that would be account wide. They plan on having a few worlds, so maybe in order to open up going to a new world for higher levels you pay a small fee to first be able to get there. Who knows though, apparently we will learn more on this in February.

All in all, I hope they can pull those game off. This could be a pretty damn good if they take their time.

I am going to make a prediction here :

The game will run like NWN2 did.
Fans will bitch.
Fans will leave.

I can see this one going the way of Age of Conan..

Video mentions the players having a companion character, but I didn't see any signs of them in the combat videos or if they were there it wasn't clear to me at least.

Wondering if they'll be like a pet in combat, if they are able to be upgraded via items or replaced entirely. Would be interesting if you could control both, or if eventually the companion character could be replaced with another jedi/sith.

Although in the video it seems that their only purpose so far is to be a way to access the story line, when I heard that I thought they'd only appear in safe zones only and in non-safe zones would be communicator or halogram interactions only. I picture it becoming your go-to for base line story, IE good vs evil and perhaps the mechanic for the permanent choices they spoke about. But the game wouldn't really be an MMO if you got all of your quests exclusively from a guy who travels around with you, so maybe the non-essential quests will be elsewhere.

And I'd think essential would be.......light side or dark side of the force, newbie tutorial quests, milestone quests to upgrade the light saber or learn a new technique, basically anything to do with jedi/sith exclusive business. Basically, serve as your own personal R2D2 with a voice box. I'd prefer the HK-47, meatbags.

If they can make the game NOT be another grind fest to the highest level, then they might succeed in making this MMO work.

Unfortunately, MMO's backbone is just that.....a GRIND FEST.

IMO, Star Wars should stay out of the MMO genere. MMO's have no "end" to them. I have a hard time believing BioWare and LucasArts are trying to make a "new" MMO, rather just trying to get a piece of the pie that, for the most part, WoW has on its table.

I doubt I will buy into this game. If at all, I will give it a year and see how things go watching from the sidelines.

If they can make the game NOT be another grind fest to the highest level, then they might succeed in making this MMO work.

Unfortunately, MMO's backbone is just that.....a GRIND FEST.

IMO, Star Wars should stay out of the MMO genere. MMO's have no "end" to them. I have a hard time believing BioWare and LucasArts are trying to make a "new" MMO, rather just trying to get a piece of the pie that, for the most part, WoW has on its table.

I doubt I will buy into this game. If at all, I will give it a year and see how things go watching from the sidelines.

it's a double edged sword.. people don't want to grind yet they get bored fast.. hence the reason for a grindfest to stretch things out.

One interesting thing about SWTOR is that they're making it a heavily quested (a la KOTOR) style of leveling. They're not going to have entirely FedEx missions so that's a huge plus.

I'm really excited to see more of this game and more details.

it's a double edged sword.. people don't want to grind yet they get bored fast.. hence the reason for a grindfest to stretch things out.

If you play often it should be because the game is fun, not because there is no other way for it to be played :rolleyes:

Back